Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 323
  1. Quake97's Avatar
    Posts
    557 Posts
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    #241  
    Going back to the original post, this isn't a rumor. It's an educated guess on the technology that's available now. Of course the next Treo will have EV-DO, of course it'll have Bluetooth 1.2. I'm c'mon, it has to. I don't really care about wifi, so it doesn't matter to me. EV-DO will be fast enough.

    Joe
  2. #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    Going back to the original post, this isn't a rumor. It's an educated guess on the technology that's available now. Of course the next Treo will have EV-DO, of course it'll have Bluetooth 1.2. I'm c'mon, it has to. I don't really care about wifi, so it doesn't matter to me. EV-DO will be fast enough.

    Joe
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - Wrong answer.

    Nothing is a given with Palm/Handspring. The 256k Tungsten was already out when they dropped the anemic 32k Treo on our heads - and everything in sight was 64k. Don't ever underestimate the ability of Palm to underwhelm on the state of the art side of its smartphones. Of course, some of it is not their fault because the design/approval cycle for phones is longer, but they still tend to be conservative to a fault.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  3. #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Geckotek I disagree with your definition of obsolescence. Here is the definition from Wikipedia. Obsolescence occurs when a person or object is no longer wanted even though it is still in good working order.

    And for good measure here is the definition of PLANNED obsolescence from the Sticky-Marketing.com monthly magazine Planned Obsolescence is when a company intends that a product or service will, at some point in the future, need to be upgraded, updated or a newer version purchased. In saturated markets planned obsolescence is one way to ensure continued purchases as had the market been supplied with items that lasted a lifetime sales levels would drop once saturation was achieved.

    I am not whining by the way and I don't replace my car stereo, I replace the car. Maybe I should go back to the buggy whip adn horse in your scenario they aren't obsolete yet.

    Please do not lie about my statements. If you don't like me because you have a problem there are ways to ignore me.
    First, my definition is from dictionary.com. But I accept your definition as well. HOWEVER, my point still stands, most products are produced with planned obsolescence (including all the competing PDAs on the market.) So why is everyone here complaining about it on their Treo, but not other items in their life? The answer is because the Treo is what ppl on this forum obsess about, not their car stereo (I mean, we are in a Treo forum.) My whole point is to put this in perspective and get ppl to stop complaining without REALLY good reason. (There are some reasons to complain....but a lot of ppl here go too far.)

    Sure, go back to the horse and buggy. Maybe you'll appreciate what you have now.

    Lastly, you need to chill. I didn't lie about anything and I don't dislike you. I have no idea why you think that.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  4. #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - Wrong answer.

    Nothing is a given with Palm/Handspring. The 256k Tungsten was already out when they dropped the anemic 32k Treo on our heads - and everything in sight was 64k. Don't ever underestimate the ability of Palm to underwhelm on the state of the art side of its smartphones. Of course, some of it is not their fault because the design/approval cycle for phones is longer, but they still tend to be conservative to a fault.
    Take a moment to realize that if Palm threw ALL the features of their top PDA and all the features of a cell phone, the price wouldn't meet their target. They had to make choices, hard ones. Not every top technology can go into a convergent device unless you want to drive the price way up.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  5. #245  
    Up until Kmap came out, I really didn't think Treo is short on the memory. I don't feel comfortable if I don't have 6-8MB free on my Treo, so there is no way I will give 1.5MB to java.

    I really don't see the different between the 22MB on the Treo and the 256MB base memory you get on most desktops. Sure XP and OSX run like dogs on them but if people don't understand the importance of memory (or SD card in Treo's case) then..I don't see what the big deal is.

    To be fair Palm should have shipped 64MB on the 650 standard, it probably would have cost them less on the 64MB memory than the free SD card give away.
  6. #246  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Geckotek I disagree with your definition of obsolescence. Here is the definition from Wikipedia. Obsolescence occurs when a person or object is no longer wanted even though it is still in good working order.

    And for good measure here is the definition of PLANNED obsolescence from the Sticky-Marketing.com monthly magazine Planned Obsolescence is when a company intends that a product or service will, at some point in the future, need to be upgraded, updated or a newer version purchased. In saturated markets planned obsolescence is one way to ensure continued purchases as had the market been supplied with items that lasted a lifetime sales levels would drop once saturation was achieved.

    I am not whining by the way and I don't replace my car stereo, I replace the car. Maybe I should go back to the buggy whip adn horse in your scenario they aren't obsolete yet.

    Please do not lie about my statements. If you don't like me because you have a problem there are ways to ignore me.
    I don't know the history behind your last statement, but if there isn't history of bad blood, that sounds like a pre-eptive attack.

    "Obsolescence occurs when a person or object is no longer wanted even though it is still in good working order." I sold my Treo 600 (about two years old now) for over $200. Consider the number of free new phones out there and I don't understand how it can be said that it's unwanted. So the Treo 600 isn't obsolete as of last week by your (or the wikipedia's) definition.

    By Sticky-Marketing.com's reasoning the Treo isn't obsolete either. It works as if it was originally sold and a newer version doesn't need to be bought. If you had Windows 95 and it didn't recognize your USB 2.0 devices nor allow them in some way, that would be "planned obsolence". However, the Treo 300 still has more functionality than most people's cell phones. It might not have the form as some of the recent phones, but I haven't seen the other phones with a web-browser or keyboard like ther Treo 300. From what I've heard, the MS devices still don't have that integration.

    You can't compare the whip and buggy. Can you take a whip and buggy anywhere? I'm thinking no, on the public streets in my neighborhood. Can I make a call on the Treo? I'm guessing yes, because I did.
  7. #247  
    bmcfarland I have done a search of West Law and can find no laws restricting the ownership or public use of a whip or buggy in any state in the US (so I am guessing you must live in some foreign country?) and I really can't understand you guys coming up with your own versions of definitions of words...The Doobie Brothers said it best in "What a Fool Believes"...No wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes...
  8. #248  
    and Geckotek you state you definition is from Dictionary.com. I just looked it up in Dictionary.com and here is their definition. Please start telling the truth...the real truth...
    Main Entry: ob·so·les·cence
    Pronunciation: "äb-s&-'les-&ns
    Function: noun
    : a loss in the utility or value of property that results over time from intrinsic limitations (as outmoded facilities) or external circumstances
    NOTE: Obsolescence is usually distinguished from depreciation and physical deterioration.
  9. #249  
    WHAT?! Do have I have to quote the whole freakin' page?! We all know there are mulitple definitions on dictionary.com. Get a grip.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  10. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #250  
    OMG! Geez... enough with the definition crap, here. cripes, how ridiculous are we going to make things? good lord.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  11. #251  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Just checked and Treo670.com and Treo700.com are both reserved and under construction. Verisign is the listed owner. Could they just be parking the sites for Palm? Last year when the 650 was rumored there was a professor in Mass. who had the Treo650.com site reserved for Palm and I think we found she had a distinct Palm connection.
    Yes, the woman worked for Palm(One) as a marketing and media consultant, and had acquired Treo650.com and Treo670.com within two days of Palm(One) registering the domain Treo700.com.
  12. #252  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    bmcfarland I have done a search of West Law and can find no laws restricting the ownership or public use of a whip or buggy in any state in the US (so I am guessing you must live in some foreign country?) and I really can't understand you guys coming up with your own versions of definitions of words...The Doobie Brothers said it best in "What a Fool Believes"...No wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes...
    I said "I'm thinking no", not "I did extensive legal research and found it to be the case." So before taking that assumption, perhaps you should realize the difference there. Again, I don't know for sure - and don't have access to the necessary legal databases or legal experience - but I *think* there's a minimum amount of speed you have to travel if you are taking up a whole road way. If you get on an interstate in a horse and buggy, I can promise you the police are going to pull you over for something. It may even be endangerment of animals, but a police officer isn't going to just ignore that situation.

    Also, I'm *guessing* that West Law makes no mention of whether it's illegal for me to put together a 537 hampster-wheel powered vehicle and drive down the street. However, it just "might" be. Perhaps being street-legal requires that it can pass a car inspection. Perhaps a whip and buggy doesn't qualify.

    Note that I used words like *think* and *guessing*.
  13. #253  
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamaDBrown
    Yes, the woman worked for Palm(One) as a marketing and media consultant, and had acquired Treo650.com and Treo670.com within two days of Palm(One) registering the domain Treo700.com.
    I just checked and you see the same page at treo725.com treo750.com treo800.com treo850.com treo900.com treo950.com and treo1000.com..

    Man There are going to be a lot of Treos out next year... I wouldn't let this be too much of a sign.. They are just buying alot to cover their bases. Domain names are cheap now..

    I hope a new Treo comes soon and has significant improvements for the GSM network. Otherwise I'm going to have to take a serious look at HW6715 or HTC Wizard...
  14. #254  
    Is there any chance that the screen is 320x350 rather than just 320x320? The status bar is very useful in Cobalt, and it would be a shame not to implement it. Sam, did your source tell you, or can you ask him?
  15.    #255  
    Ok guys, I have an apology to make. But before you get your guns out please read the whole post. I have some info given by same person and some things are changed or came late to his knowledge. So here is update:

    1. There “IS” a window mobile based Treo due out before Christmas or early next year. It is named Treo670.

    2. Treo670 is nothing more than Treo650 with Windows mobile OS 5 on it. All hardware specs are same, nothing new on it, its just Treo650 with WM5 on it. There is possibility of new Bluetooth stack and wifi card with new Treo670. And if there are any updates to Bluetooth or wifi card, it will take effect on Treo650 (palm based) as well with new software updates.

    3. There is Treo700 ready for release (and it is cobalt based) but Palm guys’ wont release it due to surprising (to them and their partners) sales of Treo650. And by issuing windows based Treo650 (which will be called Treo670) they want to get more money out of Treo650 release. So basically Treo700 wont be released, until may be late next year.

    So guys, even though I hate to be wrong, I was wrong. Call me whatever you want, but I wanted to let all of you know that I just passed info as it came to me and I am ready to take all the beating comes to me.

    Cya.
    Last edited by sam2579; 09/17/2005 at 09:17 AM.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
  16.    #256  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roonil Wazlib
    Is there any chance that the screen is 320x350 rather than just 320x320? The status bar is very useful in Cobalt, and it would be a shame not to implement it. Sam, did your source tell you, or can you ask him?
    As you see that things are changed, Cobalt based Treo700 will have same screen size. But again it can be change as I dont think it will be released anytime soon, unless Treo670 totally flops (which I doubt).
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
  17.    #257  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj
    I just checked and you see the same page at treo725.com treo750.com treo800.com treo850.com treo900.com treo950.com and treo1000.com..

    Man There are going to be a lot of Treos out next year... I wouldn't let this be too much of a sign.. They are just buying alot to cover their bases. Domain names are cheap now..

    I hope a new Treo comes soon and has significant improvements for the GSM network. Otherwise I'm going to have to take a serious look at HW6715 or HTC Wizard...
    I am also told by my source that naming system is going to change with release of Treo700 next year. It might be due to two Treos (WM and Palm based). It will be now name based (Treo ABCDE, instead of TREO 123). So Palm is following Microsoft OS naming system which changed after windows XP. I hope Palm give cool names to our beloved Treo :-).
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
  18. aetherion's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #258  
    Don't forget EVDO in the feature lineup for the 670. Not sure about GSM though...I'm guessing they're stuck with EDGE.
  19.    #259  
    Quote Originally Posted by aetherion
    Don't forget EVDO in the feature lineup for the 670. Not sure about GSM though...I'm guessing they're stuck with EDGE.
    You can be right on, but I didnt heard this from my source abou EVDO. So I am not going to say yes or no on it. But I do assume that it will be added to 670, or I dont think Treo670 will compete with other smartphones out already.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
  20. #260  
    sam2579:

    With the rapid deployment of EVDO on Verizon and Sprint, if the "new" Treo 670 only brings WM5 to the table, it could flop quick except for the Winblows toadies. A late deployment of EVDO capability amy see a lot of folks drifting to EVDO capable equipment (it's like that cute iJam Windows based phone that had GPRS but no Edge - why even bother).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.

Posting Permissions