Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 323
  1. #221  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    As a software developer a real multi-tasking OS seems significant, but it doesn't really enable me to do anything that I can't do now with the Treo 650. It might make things a little easier, but the amount of time that I'd use the multi-tasking would probably be like 5%.
    How about tabbed browsing!!

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/ss.asp...swerhome_L.jpg

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7165

    http://www.palmos.com/dev/tech/webbr...rowser_30.html

    This in itself would want me to upgrade to a Coblat Treo!!!! Even though Blazer is OK, it it also the most torturously slow and limiting thing on the Treo. 5 way nav is nice and etc, but it SLOW and limiting! Backround page loading, integration with media playback, tabbed browsing, WAP 2, etc make it a HUGE improvement!

    Think about it? How many times have you been frustrated sitting there while waiting for damn Blazer to load a page? What about the frustrations trying to open news pages and then having to go back and etc? With Web Browser 3.0 you could download a page, then go check you email or open another web page etc and not have to stare at the loading page! This is something PPC users here should appreciate. Plus tabbed browsing on a phone is would be kewl!

    More memory is nice, but since the update I have enough to get by. The one thing that I'd really like would be some kind of free built-in software solution that manages internal memory and SD card memory. I don't want to have to try to figure out what can and can't be run straight from the card and what needs a 3rd party (ZLauncher or whatever) to accomplish it.
    Nto gonna happen. Ironically most dev don't want this. Plus a majority of users don't know or care about a file manager anyway...

    Also, what I personally would love to see is not just more memory but also the INTEGRATION of the drive mode feature in the lifedrive and T5. A Treo with 1GB Nand storage with drive mode feature would be killer imo!!

    Faster Data? Now we are talking a significant feature -- if its priced similarly to Sprint's Vision plan.
    Totally agree! But I would be willing to pay a slight premium for 3G. But not that much...

    Better Bluetooth. I guess that people are having a lot more problems with bluetooth than I do. I got it working as a modem for my laptop and that's all I want to Bluetooth to do right now. Maybe if I got Bluetooth speakers in my living room, playing music off of the Treo would be fun. Also if my car happened to have bluetooth and it didn't work with 1.1, then I could see that being big. I suppose I need to understand if 5% of the users are having these problems or 95%.
    BT 1.2 would be good, but BT 2.0 would be even better. Also, they need to put a stronger BT transmitter in the Treo. It seems very weak to me. IF you want A2DP, HID profiles etc, you need BT 1.2 which incidently is ALREADY lisenced as a part of Cobalt...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  2. #222  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Just checked and Treo670.com and Treo700.com are both reserved and under construction. Verisign is the listed owner. Could they just be parking the sites for Palm?
    Treo675.com is also listed....I checked multiples of 5 from 650 to 705 and Treo670, 675, & 700 are the only ones that have a reserved site. Maybe two models with the next release and then Windows Mobile for 700?
  3. #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Geckotek, you are taking 3 different statements and trying to make them one. The ifrst dealt with the price issue, the second dealt with the speed. I never said the 2 were the same. Maybe I don't get all excited about these things because I am not downloading mb's of files like you other users may be so it isn't important or worth the high price. Also I travel to a lot of remote areas when working so it wouldn't even be available just as I fon't use Sprints wireless laptop card because that service isn't available in thosesame rural areas.

    I am a bit confused that so many of you talk of Cobalt as being the ultimate but otthers say it doesn't work.

    In my mind give me a Palm LifeDrive with a phone built in and voice recognition software that works and I have my Treo and iPod all in one and then you have a convergence device that has it right. But then would it sell to corporate America? Probably not...but wouldn't it be cool if they could beat Apple and Motorola to the punch?

    I guess you mean 2 statements. Either way, the fact that we are discussing the possiblity of EVDO on a Treo and then you make a statement comparing Edge and 1xRTT has me confused. Seems out of place in my mind.

    BTW, I'm not DL'ing MBs of files, but it would be nice to have faster browsing as well as have my e-mails download faster. But who knows, if I had more speed, I might DL more files.

    My guess.......both are true. We'll see both a Palm OS version and an MS version. PPL have been saying that all along. We were just under the impression the MS version was next due to that video. Oh well, all this conjecture means nothing until one is out in public w/ a price tag on it. I know if a Palm OS version shows up w/ those specs, I'll be jumping on it.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  4. #224  
    Yes, I meant 2. What I get for typing in the dark.

    Also, Apple is unveiling their iPhone next Thursday at 10 am in San Fran. Cingular is the carrier. Palm will need some buzz so look for them to let a cat out of the bag to counter this...
  5. #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    ...

    Quote:
    More memory is nice, but since the update I have enough to get by. The one thing that I'd really like would be some kind of free built-in software solution that manages internal memory and SD card memory. I don't want to have to try to figure out what can and can't be run straight from the card and what needs a 3rd party (ZLauncher or whatever) to accomplish it.



    Nto gonna happen. Ironically most dev don't want this. Plus a majority of users don't know or care about a file manager anyway...

    ...
    gfunk - I sure hope you're wrong on this one, because this memory model is almopst as messy as teh bad old days of DOS extended/expanded memory. We really need seemless integration of on board and SD memory. If VFS won't work that way, then put 1gb inside the d@#& thing and be done with it. Just stop the madness of third party memory maangers.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  6. #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    ........We really need seemless integration of on board and SD memory. If VFS won't work that way, then put 1gb inside the d@#& thing and be done with it.Just stop the madness of third party memory maangers.
    That would be too much "like right".........


    Sweet Chi-Town Music!

    300 > 600 > 650

    CURRENT EQUIPMENT

    TREO 650


    Alternate Phone- Motorola Razr V3 (silver)
  7. karlz's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    #227  
    What I want to know is WHY all the rumors - WHY doesn't somebody at Palm just come out and SAY what the heck it is they are working on? What's the big deal?

    Karl
    www.justsayok.net
  8. #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by karlz
    What I want to know is WHY all the rumors - WHY doesn't somebody at Palm just come out and SAY what the heck it is they are working on? What's the big deal?

    Karl
    www.justsayok.net
    that's not the way product announcements work. they don't want to undercut current product sales (treo 650).
  9. #229  
    OK

    (Just had to say it for some reason...)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10. #230  
    Quote Originally Posted by karlz
    What I want to know is WHY all the rumors - WHY doesn't somebody at Palm just come out and SAY what the heck it is they are working on? What's the big deal?

    Karl
    www.justsayok.net
    Could be worse. At least this isn't Half-Life Central...we'd be here for 5 years talking about the new version.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11. #231  
    did they ever release that thing?
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  12. #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    did they ever release that thing?
    HL2? About six or eight months ago.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13. #233  
    Ok
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  14. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Could be worse. At least this isn't Half-Life Central...we'd be here for 5 years talking about the new version.
    How about Blizzard or 3D Realms? Can you say Diablo 3 or Duke Nukem Forever (how long it takes to get it out) ? LOL...
  15. #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    bmacfarland, I have bought 4 Treos over the last 4 years, for that price I could have had an OQO and saved money and carried a cell phone and (again) left the laptop bag at home when traveling on my 225 flights a year...then I have the best of both worlds, small computer model and one handed phone form factor with greater functionality.
    You could have bought an OQO four years ago? I don't think they are that old. Carrying a cell phone and an OQO is still two devices, which for many (myself included is too many). I think if the OQO gets a cell phone built-in you've got a better argument there. Until then, you are getting the best of both worlds from two different devices. It's not fair for the Treo to be as good as two dedicated devices.
  16. #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    How about tabbed browsing!!

    This in itself would want me to upgrade to a Coblat Treo!!!! Even though Blazer is OK, it it also the most torturously slow and limiting thing on the Treo. 5 way nav is nice and etc, but it SLOW and limiting! Backround page loading, integration with media playback, tabbed browsing, WAP 2, etc make it a HUGE improvement!

    Think about it? How many times have you been frustrated sitting there while waiting for damn Blazer to load a page? What about the frustrations trying to open news pages and then having to go back and etc? With Web Browser 3.0 you could download a page, then go check you email or open another web page etc and not have to stare at the loading page! This is something PPC users here should appreciate. Plus tabbed browsing on a phone is would be kewl!
    Tabbed browsing is good, but that's not exclusive to multitasking OSes. There's no reason it couldn't be developed for Palm OS5. I've been using Mozilla for over 4-5 years now and was one of the first to use tabbed-browsing for it (via a pluggin called MultiTabs, I think). The interesting thing is that it was built as just a plug-in and even today Mozilla Firefox runs as one task in your taskbar, even if you have 100 open tabs. Tabbed browsing isn't exclusive to Cobalt, it's just that no one has taken the time to implement it on OS5 (that I know of). Media Playback and all that should come as upgrades to Blazer that current Treo 650 owners can download. As for downloading things in the background, I can play music in the background, so why not download? Seems like that's more of a software issue than an OS one. I'd prefer it to have multi-tasking in the OS level, but not at the cost of another $500.

    With the speed of the current connection, I can't see downloading multiple pages anyway. I've got a couple of key phone enhanced pages, but I'm not going to be downloading ESPN.com and CNN.com in two tabs. I like the browser to be there when I need it (usually once a week), but it's extremely rare that I need it to do multiple things at the same time.

    I agree, I don't want to care about memory management. So great give 64MBs, that's fine. That's a minor stop-gap solution until there's something LifeDrivey that can do the job more permanently. Is it enough for me? No. I'm going to be greedy and wait for the Lifedrive version or at least one that can smartly use my SD card to store applications, without me having to learn what can and can't be stored there. The later should be able to be accomplished with a firmware upgrade. I hate to pay money for new hardware when it's really just a firmware fix that I want. And when they don't even make that fix, we'll what's the point in that?
  17. #237  
    Bmcfarland, I never said the OQO had been out for 4 years. Rather I said I had bought 4 Treos over the last 4 years. I think it is more like 18 months since the OQO was released. My point you obviously missed was buying "planned obsolecense" is not something I am prepared to continue doing on a yearly basis. If I buy because I am bored then that is a totally different situation.
  18. #238  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Bmcfarland, I never said the OQO had been out for 4 years. Rather I said I had bought 4 Treos over the last 4 years. I think it is more like 18 months since the OQO was released. My point you obviously missed was buying "planned obsolecense" is not something I am prepared to continue doing on a yearly basis. If I buy because I am bored then that is a totally different situation.
    No, I saw the point, I was just trying to make my own. And that is simply that if you want to compare the costs over the last four years as being equal, you have to consider that for 2.5 of them you wouldn't have had a device at all.

    If you are making a comment towards the future with "planned obsolecense", I think that anything cutting edge is going to be obsolete 2.5 or 4 years down the line. It's not just with the Treo, but nearly everything. I know you may say that the Treo becomes obsolete every year and not 2.5 years or 4 years. That's true, but that's because it's at the beginning of it's lifecycle. Once it matures, and I believe it has, it won't be obsolete so quickly. In fact, the number of people who still use the Treo 600 is evidence of this.

    I'd say the OQO is already obsolete. USB 1.1? Is this 1996?
  19. #239  
    BTW, I have to somewhat disagree on the "planned obsolescense" comments and the Treo being obsolete every year.

    A) Just because you want the newer features in the next Treo, doesn't mean it's obsolete. When a new car stereo is out every year (often w/ new features) do you buy a new one because your old one is obsolete? This "obsolescense" you speak of is only driven by your own desire to add functionality, but not due to some critical requirement that keeps your old Treo from functioning as it was designed.

    B) Definition (and correct spelling):
    obsolescence - Being in the process of passing out of use or usefulness; becoming obsolete.

    Basically, I'm saying it's still useful. Although by another definition, it is decreasing in value due to newer units coming out, but that is true in MOST products we buy. As I mentioned, even car stereos are replaced by newer models w/ newer features every year. So stop whining and if you wanna buy the new model, shut up and buy it. If not, enjoy your current model to the best of your ability. Just be glad your not buying computer video cards!
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  20. #240  
    Geckotek I disagree with your definition of obsolescence. Here is the definition from Wikipedia. Obsolescence occurs when a person or object is no longer wanted even though it is still in good working order.

    And for good measure here is the definition of PLANNED obsolescence from the Sticky-Marketing.com monthly magazine Planned Obsolescence is when a company intends that a product or service will, at some point in the future, need to be upgraded, updated or a newer version purchased. In saturated markets planned obsolescence is one way to ensure continued purchases as had the market been supplied with items that lasted a lifetime sales levels would drop once saturation was achieved.

    I am not whining by the way and I don't replace my car stereo, I replace the car. Maybe I should go back to the buggy whip adn horse in your scenario they aren't obsolete yet.

    Please do not lie about my statements. If you don't like me because you have a problem there are ways to ignore me.

Posting Permissions