Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Now who are we to believe Sam who has no pictures or any proof at all versus Roc's pics and video. This strikes me as odd that MS would allow Palm to load any WM5 version on their Treo for any testing purposes without some guarantee. Remember the reports from the press in Asia saying that HTC would ODM the Treo for Palm with WM5 on it. Maybe Sam is the man and knows his stuff but it is contrary to that which we have seen in the videos and read in news reports. Does Sam stake his reputation on this rumor? He also says Palm is holding this close to their vest in emulation of Apple in this case but if that is so then how is he getting this information? That seems contradictory. Why would Palm sell another version of the Treo with minor updates to memory, Cobalt (which there appears to be a lot of problems with), bluetooth and EvDo improvements only? I can't see that as nearly enough to get any T600 or T650 owners to mothball the old Treo in favor of another $600 investment. I sure wouldn't waste my money on it.
    I thought the Roc photos were bogus to begin with, and my opinion hasn't changed.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Nice info Sam. Makes looking at the 650 a bit harder, even though I am quite sure that I could get by with it. If this 700 is Cobalt (as I am guessing from your earlier posts) then this would be my next PalmOS PDA (and hopefully not last).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by master1m
    Thanks Sam for this much info

I myself don't have a treo. And if what you are say is true I will finally be getting the treo 700. More memory , better camera and a better bluetooth 1.2 will be a nice upgrade for me. I wish it would come with the Wifi though. But I know Sprint likes to make there money. It will take away from there evdo profit to add wifi.
    I wish Palm will go ahead and announce the release date. Since you said that it will come out sometime in november.
    Did they say a better camera was going to be in the 700? If so, I missed it.
    Most liekly will be a better cam, just dont expect more than 2MPx. Most folks dont want to pay for more on the MMS plans.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    If the next Treo is going to be Cobalt, I take it all new software will have to be purchased?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  7.    #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Thanks - I was quoting the post you reference (with the Christmas line in it) - I guess "November end" means by the last day of November. Well, it's not "August end" yet, so it's more like 3 months. Let's call it 2 to 4 months . . . or so . . . perhaps.
    Actually you are right. Treo700 will be available to business customers first. So to normal user it will take few weeks to a month to play with it. I said "before christmas" because delays will be expected before treo700 hit retail stores and website alltogather.
    Cya.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    If the next Treo is going to be Cobalt, I take it all new software will have to be purchased?
    nope...I would imagine developers will upgrade their software.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    If the palm software you have can run on OS4, then it wont have to be upgraded as its running in emulation anyways (as OS4 is dragonball code).
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I thought the Roc photos were bogus to begin with, and my opinion hasn't changed.

though nothing really new, Brighthand has an article that poo poo's a Treo w/Cobalt. He says they're hiring Linux engineers (something I'd heard a while back as well.)

As to Roc's credibility, the owner of Engadget -- at his meetup a few weeks ago -- described how he was skeptical of ROC -- but that ROC was eventually able to reassure him of his truthfulness.

(I think Antoine of MMM may have have heard him talk about this as well...)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Why would Palm sell another version of the Treo with minor updates to memory, Cobalt (which there appears to be a lot of problems with), bluetooth and EvDo improvements only? I can't see that as nearly enough to get any T600 or T650 owners to mothball the old Treo in favor of another $600 investment. I sure wouldn't waste my money on it.
    I can say with much certainty that many of us on forum WOULD purchase the new Treo with upgrades to memory and Bluetooth alone. Why? Because we are Treo-whores that love the device soooo much. I, for one, would surely purchase the new Treo if it just had Bluetooth 1.2 or above and at least 64 MB of memory. I think those are moderately significant upgrades.

However, EVDO is not a moderately significant upgrade. It is MOST DEFINITELY THE MOST IMPORTANT upgrade they could possibly include. It would be like upgrading from a Mustang to a Ferrari. EVDO alone would make many, many people purchase this device.

Planned Treo obsolescence.........sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    Actually you are right. Treo700 will be available to business customers first. So to normal user it will take few weeks to a month to play with it. I said "before christmas" because delays will be expected before treo700 hit retail stores and website alltogather.
    Cya.
    Hmmmmmmm...I don't remember them releasing the Sprint Treos to the business side first. This seems very, very odd to me. Verizon did that, but it was only by a few days.
    actually the 650 was available through business sales first. read through some old threads and you'll see. that's how I got mine the first morning it was available before the stores and regular csr's knew what it was.
    Ok, someone please tell me how those videos were faked of the Treo running WM5? This is the first I had heard of those being fake. I have searched the forums and the net and find nothing about those being fake reported. Please give me the link where it is proven.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet
    64MB RAM - with a new OS (that will probably be larger) so between 15 & 19MB usable???

HUH? Where did you get that? It will be larger than FrankenGarnet, but not that much! Here are some links about the other Cobalt smartphone devices in the works:

http://allaboutpalm.com/news/item/Os...Smartphone.php

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7874

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Why would Palm sell another version of the Treo with minor updates to memory, Cobalt (which there appears to be a lot of problems with), bluetooth and EvDo improvements only? I can't see that as nearly enough to get any T600 or T650 owners to mothball the old Treo in favor of another $600 investment. I sure wouldn't waste my money on it.

WHAT? Umm...using Cobalt 6.1, new 3G 1xEvDO radio, more ram, etc are NOT minor updates imo!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by thetoad
    If the palm software you have can run on OS4, then it wont have to be upgraded as its running in emulation anyways (as OS4 is dragonball code).

That's right, palmos apps using 68k API's will use PACE...

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    though nothing really new, Brighthand has an article that poo poo's a Treo w/Cobalt. He says they're hiring Linux engineers (something I'd heard a while back as well.)

The Linux engineers are being hired to support future Palm Linux os imo. Since typical smartphone developmental cylces can be clsoe to 18 months or more, I don't think it indicative at all regarding Palm's short term intentions with Cobalt...

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    HUH? Where did you get that? It will be larger than FrankenGarnet, but not that much! Here are some links about the other Cobalt smartphone devices in the works:

http://allaboutpalm.com/news/item/Os...Smartphone.php

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7874
    The info was pure speculation and a joke of how palm tends to update.
    Ok, someone please tell me how those videos were faked of the Treo running WM5? This is the first I had heard of those being fake. I have searched the forums and the net and find nothing about those being fake reported. Please give me the link where it is proven.

Thanks!
    someone mentioned it here (in the really big thread with links to pics and video)....and i thought the same thing when i first watched the video, that it wouldnt be hard to fake it by making a movie and playing it on the treo.

Somone had also linked to pre production pictures of the 650 which was a very similar if not the same case design as what is supposed to be a 670
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast