1.    #1  
    I've been having problems with my Palm Desktop application since I got a new computer a few weeks ago. When I click on the Media icon, when I try to use the Find function, and also when I click on Check and repair any corrupt records (Contacts/Tools/Option/Tools) a window pops up that says

"Welcome to the Media Desktop. To get photos and videos captured with camera enabled devices to the Media Desktop, perform a HotSync operation.

To use video in Media Desktop, complete the folowing step:

1. Install Windows Media Player 9 from the Additional Software section of the Desktop Software CD."

Then the desktop application freezes and the only thing I can do is to exit it via the Taskmanager... This also means that all entries since the last HotSync are lost (I'm syncing every 5 minutes now...). I don't know if there are more functions on the Desktop that causes this, the three I've mentioned are the one's I've come upon.

I have tried uninstalling and installing the Palm Software several times but no luck.

Called Palm's help desk yesterday and it turns out that Windows Media Player 10 isn't compatible with the Palm Desktop software. Apparently there are some codecs missing in the latest version.

Now, I can live without being able to access Media from the desktop and also the repair corrupt records function, but I find it really annoying not be able to use the find function.

Anyone out there with a solution? I'd rather not go back to use WMP 9 as there are constant updates.

Help!!!

/Marianne
  2.    #2  
    Anyone????
    I've been using WMP 10 with media in the Palm Desktop without any problems. I had WMP 10 prior to installing the Desktop so I don't know if upgrading after has any ill effects.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  4.    #4  
    It was Palm's help desk that told me that WMP 10 caused these problems... I have uninstalled and installed from the CD several times but the issues remain the same. But you're saying you have no problems at all using the functions?
  5.    #5  
    This is driving me nuts! Please help!
  6.    #6  
    I'm not giving up... Anyone out there with a solution?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne
    "Welcome to the Media Desktop. To get photos and videos captured with camera enabled devices to the Media Desktop, perform a HotSync operation.

To use video in Media Desktop, complete the folowing step:

1. Install Windows Media Player 9 from the Additional Software section of the Desktop Software CD."
    When I start the Palm Desktop mine states the same. Although if I leave mine for a while it will eventually open.

I am running Media Player 10 (upgraded from 9).
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  8.    #8  
    Thanks, I'll try that and see if it works!
    i updraded to WMP 10.....with palm software already on my PC....have had no problems
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I have this problem and I had WMP10 installed before Palm Desktop. Is there a registry entry or some other setting to disable this dialog?