1.    #1  
    I have had a treo 650 (cingular) for about 3 weeks now. Make that, I have had two of them in that time - getting ready for the 3rd. Or not. First one had a hardware prob, and I dont know what the deal is with this one.

I do not have any 3rd party software installed, I have loads of memory left, and only a few dozen entries in my phone book.

Every few hours, I look down to notice that annoying little green light NOT flashing - the darned thing turned its self off. Since it is sitting in a loose shirt pocket with the key lock on, or on the car seat next to me, I cant think of any thing else. Then every few hours (over the past couple of days) I go to make a call, or check my schedule and..... NOTHING. Darned thing is locked up, hard reset necessary. Who knows if I would have been missing calls or not.

Anyone have suggestions for a pda/phone that is of more reliable quality and doesnt use the POS Palm operating system? I had a palm II that acted the same way, and even though Palm should have written a decent OS over the past 8 or so years, I should have known better than to rely on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoot_44
    Anyone have suggestions for a pda/phone that is of more reliable quality and doesnt use the POS Palm operating system? I had a palm II that acted the same way, and even though Palm should have written a decent OS over the past 8 or so years, I should have known better than to rely on them.
    Any Cingular users out there to help on the issues listed in post #1?

I have no suggestions on a pda/phone, other than the Treo 650. I have had a Palm for 8+ years. The OS has been great. The Treo 650 is the best PDA I have ever had and the best cell phone I have ever had. I do use the Sprint version. I have only had the memory issue(fixed by 1.08) and the call lag issue (fixed by 1.12)

Cheers, Perry.
  3. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Return the phone for a replacement. Normally I would suspect 3-party software but since you have none I would get a new one asap.

If I was forced to replace my Treo (while staying with Cingular or other GSM provider) I would get the Imate JAM.
  4.    #4  
    Where do I get these updates? I have looked everywhere on cingular and on Palm's sites, and can find no firmware or OS updates. Please post link

Thanks a bunch.
    Sorry to mis-lead you, those updates were Sprint specific. I think you Cingular (and former AT&T) folks are waiting for your first firmware update.

Knock around in the Cingular forum, you might find something to help. Without 3rd party software being involved, it is very strange behavior. . . what does your Cingular store say? I was formerly with AT&T and my shop had a whiz bang tech guy. . .

Cheers, Perry.
    You are NOT alone. I have had 5 units now. Problems NOT solved. Palm and Cingular both tell me I need to WAIT for an update in firmware !

I have mostly 2 issues.

1. The screen and keyboard randomly come on all by itself.

2. Whenever I "Update" a contact, the phone crashes.
    I was constantly getting dropped from the Cingular network and occassionally getting reboots (from crashes). It appears that the SIM card does not sit well in the tray. I added a cut-to-size post-it-note folded in half. NO PROBLEMS. If the SIM card moves it may be the cause. SInmple fix, but no crashes or drops from the network since.....
    I use my 650 on Cingular but mine is an unlocked and unbranded unit. Palm did release a firmware upgrade for the unlocked, unbranded GSM version. I have had no issues. I have tons of apps and about 2000+ entries in my address book.

I have used other smartphones and here is my assessment.

I have used Palm based smartphones since the Kyp6035 came out (like 2001). I have had Samsungs, Kyos, and the Treo300, and 600 on Sprint, and the 600 and 650 on Cingular.

If you want even more crashes, then get a phone with the MS smartphone OS. I had an iMate PDA2k and it crashed constantly, or locked up, or just needed a reboot (2-4 times per day). My experience here is rather limited, after 2 months I sold the unit on eBay.

REcently, before I returned to a Palm phone (my 650), I dabbled with a Symbian based smartphone. It was a SE 910a and it was the most stable smartphone I have ever used. It did a great job of multitasking as well. I rate it the highest for stability. It was also pretty good (not as good as the Treo) with one handed operations. I had trouble finding apps for Symbian UIQ, and the unit was a little sluggish, especially opening up my very large contact list, or calendar that goes back to when I got my first palm, (about 10 years ago).
    Carl