1.    #1  
    It looks like the operating system currently known as PalmOS will no longer be developed. In place will be a Linux based operating system with what one could assume to be a set of APIs, UI functions, etc. that mimic much of what makes up the Palm user experience.

Here's the article on InformationWeek.

The move to Linux has been widely known in the community for several months, but the abrupt departure from current platform development is newsworthy.

Particularly worthy of note is that the new smartphone platform will not be available until the second half of 2006. Will there be no new Treos until then, or will Palm squeeze a bit of remaining value out of their Cobalt development efforts with an interim device?
    Last edited by elitman; 07/12/2005 at 11:03 AM.
    Old news...

to the end user this Linux based palm will be indistinguishable from the current OS (except for it's stability and mutitasking etc...)

This is a wise move if palmsource can pull it off in a resonable amount of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Old news...

to the end user this Linux based palm will be indistinguishable from the current OS (except for it's stability and mutitasking etc...)

This is a wise move if palmsource can pull it off in a resonable amount of time.

lets hope thats true -- they have had performance issues in successfully delivering the last POS to fruition. Palm execs told me in November that one of the reasons they didn't use it in the 650 was because it was still too buggy -- (as well as their greater familiarity with the existing OS, and their having already written proprietary APIs etc. for the Treos applications, i.e. Cell etc)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Idk if one year is reasonable... Though I'm still looking forward to Linux with a Palm OS feel. All (read some) of our apps will still work as they do today. If they do it right, the OS will just look like Cobalt and Joe Blow palm user will never notice the difference.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    lets hope thats true -- they have had performance issues in successfully delivering the last POS to fruition. Palm execs told me in November that one of the reasons they didn't use it in the 650 was because it was still too buggy -- (as well as their greater familiarity with the existing OS, and their having already written proprietary APIs etc. for the Treos applications, i.e. Cell etc)
    Idk about the cell funtionality... Cobalt and Garnet were to have the GSM and CDMA stacks and programs that Handspring/PalmOne/Palm wrote in the treo 600/650.

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Old news...
    Don't have to tell me...

I just wanted to chime in here to toot my own horn and to say "I told you so."

It is mighty frustrating though when a faceless individual (that would be me) states what he believes to be the obvious but only greeted with comments of disbelief and chastisement as evidenced as far back as 4 months ago in threads like this.
    Does anyone know if this Linux Palm kenel (or whatever you call it) will be avaiable to any third party phone makers becuase being it Linux a lot of the code will be open source.

I guess that's the difference between a Linux based and a BSD based OS.
    well It's a Palm OS so any Licencee of PalmSource (Palm, LG, Some other companies) will have the code, but they don't have to open up everything... just changes they make to opensource software.
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Palm OS is dead. Long live Palm OS.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836