Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 7.41%
  • No

25 92.59%
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    How many here wish that the keyboard and hard buttons should trade places in the next generation treos (ie keyboard on top and the four hard buttons and D-pad at bottom)? We use the keyboard more than we do the hard buttons anyway (unless you play games using the hard buttons a lot, which I don't bc I do more text typing)

On many occasions I found myself while using the keyboard, especially while pressing the lower rows of letters/menu buttons, almost flipping my treo over towards me. I also found my Treo shaking way too much when I press them. I believe, should they trade places, it'll be more stable.
    That's a really hard one. I do use the keyboard a lot more than the 6 hard buttons but I use the 5-way (d-pad) even more. I voted yes because it sounds like a good idea but I think its one of those things that you would have to try for a few months before you could really comment on it.
    As far as the phone flipping over I know exactly what you mean. While typing with one hand I will usually pull up 'fat finger' on screen kb so that I may hold the phone firmly while typing.
    I don't think so. If they traded places you would be hitting the hard buttons accidently when you pressed the letter/number keys of the keyboard IMO
    it sounds like a good idea, but if they did that, I believe it would be harder, ergonomically, to type one handed...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    While typing with one hand I will usually pull up 'fat finger' on screen kb so that I may hold the phone firmly while typing.
    Yes, I forgot to mention one-hand typing. Do you notice that when you do one-hand typing, your thumb is stretched painfully too much reaching the lower rows of letters?

Quote Originally Posted by WiggyFife
    it sounds like a good idea, but if they did that, I believe it would be harder, ergonomically, to type one handed...
    My view is the opposite; ergonomically, should they traded places, it would be easier to type one-handed.
    I think the d-pad is near the middle for balance reasons, and thats what I use most. So a "no" vote for me.
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff
    I think the d-pad is near the middle for balance reasons, and thats what I use most. So a "no" vote for me.
    Why don't we just ask Palm to give is the Treo "components" in the box and we can buy the shell we want to accomodate our own preferences? Heck, it shouldn't be hard for the average user to put together the keyboard, 5 way, camera, screen, stylus, dial and end and menu buttons, should it?

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Why don't we just ask Palm to give is the Treo "components" in the box and we can buy the shell we want to accomodate our own preferences? Heck, it shouldn't be hard for the average user to put together the keyboard, 5 way, camera, screen, stylus, dial and end and menu buttons, should it?

Pamela
    Legos is making a fortune, based on your exact concept............
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff
    Legos is making a fortune, based on your exact concept............
    When you're told to "use the latest build" they'll mean it - literally.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I just realized that the old generation treos have the hard keys at the bottom. Can anyone who had these then moved on to Treo 600/650 share their experience? What did you like most about it being at the bottom? And do you prefer it then or now?
    I have and still use a Tungsten/C which has the hard keys and 5-way at the bottom. I've become used to using both of them but I admit that I like the Treo design bit more, especially the mid-unit position of the 5-way. To be honest, I really don't care where they put the hard buttons but keep the 5-way in the middle.
    Former Treo 180 user, I much prefer the hard buttons and especially the 5way nav. in the middle area.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS