View Poll Results: Will the next Treo device have built-in WiFi or not?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think that Palm must add WiFi in order to stay ahead.

22 43.14%
  • Yes, but I don't think it'll be a deal breaker for me.

11 21.57%
  • No, but that's just because Palm has consistently made mistakes before.

5 9.80%
  • No, because I won't really have a use for it.

8 15.69%
  • I really don't care seeing as how I don't have that need for it.

5 9.80%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A couple people disagree with me when I state that WiFi is not a dealbreaker for the MAJORITY of Treo users. Not all, but the majority. I feel the need to repeat myself, because it seems I have to do it so many times one way or another.

Soo...Here goes the "Will the Treo 700 have WiFi built-in?" poll.

I would guess that the Treo 700 will have at least EV-DO, upgraded processor, camera, and of course, RAM.

Please don't spoil the fun mods, by saying this doesn't belong in the 650 area...'cause you know that that's where all the action is and a poll's no good if nobody partakes in the voting process.

If anybody cares to read some previous WiFi ramblings, read them here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=89809
    Last edited by grndslm; 07/09/2005 at 01:24 AM.
    I won't say I told you so .
    EV-DO in the Treo 700 = No need for WiFi. Maybe as an add-on, but I would prefer to see other things included. Don't ge me wrong, I actually think it would have made sense on the 650, but we are looking at the future now. As many people have stated, BlueTooth makes more sense on the Treo than WiFi.

Al
    Yes.
    Even though EVDO and all those technologies will be out there , but Palmone would definitely include a feature which is either slightly old or of limited use.
    So it will definitely be there.
    Do i want it ? Yes, I have T mobile and the data is slower than the other provider .
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    EV-DO in the Treo 700 = No need for WiFi.
    Some people using EV-DO have already found out the above statement is not true.

WiFi is faster than EV-DO and depending on your location EV-DO speeds are not even near advertised speeds. So WiFi always provides the fastest connection. Which is why it is desired.

Also a WiFi connection would allow people on corporate networks that do not allow their mail servers to be accessed via the Internet to get their mail on the local WiFi connection.
    If you have to turn off the phone to use wifi like the Samsung i730 then it's pretty useless. I never turn off my phone. If I have to turn off phone; turn on wifi; to just download a movie or whatever; and then turn the phone back on -- I would never bother.
    Let's just wait and see what comes down the pipeline. Why waste effort on guessing right now? Do you think that Palm is reading this thread wondering if they should incorporate wifi or not?
    I think it would be cool to be able to walk into a business meeting and tell the people in the meeting "I have the files on an SD card with me, if I can connect to your WiFi network I can transfer the files to your network". No need for a laptop. No need to physically connect to anyone's computer. No need to worry about them needing an Internet FTP server to transfer files to. No need to even hook up an SD card reader, but just transfer the file(s) straight from the Treo via a wireless connection.

It could also allow telnet and remote desktop utilities to connect to machines that can't be accessed over the internet.

It just opens to door to so many great options.
    I seriously doubt they'll integrate WiFi on the next Treo. They will see EVDO as reason enough not to include an additional radio. However, I do think Palm will be smart enough to get the SD/IO WiFi problems resolved. That's a win/win situation. They'll still be able to hit the $549/$599 price point, and if consumers want to spend an additional $100 for a WiFi card, they can.
    I say it will, The I730 has wi-fi and bluetooth and evdo! Palm will probably intergrate and im guessing it will be the same money as most of us spent on our new 650's by the time it actually rolls out
    I guess for me....wi-fi is just not that big of a deal since, it's not like the Treo replaced my laptop. If I wanna download a movie, or large files, then I'll use the laptop. I don't think the Treo was designed for an all-in-one, replace-all device. I would find it more useful to have ALOT more internal memory, stable CPU, good sound quality and no antenna would be nice ( that thing bothers me...it's gonna break one of these days)
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I would guess that the Treo 700 will have at least EV-DO, upgraded processor, camera, and of course, RAM.
    If that's all they add, I won't be upgrading. The processor is fast enough for me. I'm one of the few that have enough RAM (I tend to not add a lot of extra programs). A upgraded camera doesn't value to me unless it gets to the point where it can replace my current camera (i.e 3-4 megapixels, 3x optical zoom). Seeing how I don't see that coming down the pipeline, that leaves just EV-DO.

EV-DO sounds great in theory, but at what cost? If it's more than $15 (well $10 for me because I'm grandfathered) for unlimited acces, then I'll probably stick with the current data plan. For me wifi is the only new feature (i.e. non-upgrade) I can think of interest to me. It's free and available pretty much wherever I'd want to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by millsda2
    I guess for me....wi-fi is just not that big of a deal since, it's not like the Treo replaced my laptop. If I wanna download a movie, or large files, then I'll use the laptop. I don't think the Treo was designed for an all-in-one, replace-all device.
    The folks at Palm would be very disapointed to hear you say that you don't see the Treo as an "all-in-one, replace-all device". That is exactly what they want it to be and their top brass has said just that. Last investor call that is just about what they said verbatim.

This is why I have no doubt, like any good laptop it will have WiFi. There is no way to meet real world business scenarios like the one I described above without built in WiFi.

Many folks are thinking of the Treo as just another Smartphone and the folks at Palm want you to think of it as much more.

They want everyone from the college kid that wants to play some tunes to the businessperson to want a Treo to replace every other mobile device they own including their laptop. And they've said that is their plan.
    When Rob Haitani was asked why P1 did not include wifi, etc, one of his comments was:
    Haitani: These conflicting questions cut to the heart of what good design is. You have to weigh the desires of more features and functionality vs. the real-life tradeoffs. The other issue that this conflict in questions illustrates is that one size cannot fit all, particularly with software.
    I don't think P1 initially intended for it to be a replace-all device, but maybe now that they see what users really want and compared to the technology is out there, sure; they probably see a market now of consumers who are willing to pay $600-$800 for do-it-all device. But in my opinion, as much as I love my T650 and would not give it up for any other device on the market, it just won't replace my laptop at this time. But there's always the 700 right?
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    That particular question was about more than just WiFi.

The full question was:
    2) Every other user had something related to this question: Why didn’t you include (Wifi, better Bluetooth support, more memory, _____) in the device? User bitingLobster sees this rapid expansion of features a negative aspect, commenting, “But recently, it seems PalmOne is adding feature after feature indiscriminately, with size, cost and battery life, suffering. Surely, we enthusiasts will ask for feature after feature, but the early Palms were successful because they were useful to more than us hardcore techies. I worry the resulting complexity will make the Palm OS as hard to use as the PocketPCs, and that PalmOne is trying to follow in the PocketPC footsteps while abandoning the Palm’s advantages. If you concentrate on playing the hardware game with Microsoft’s OEMS, I fear you will lose. Could you please please allay my fears?” After determining market needs, how do you allocate resources and decide what technologies to utilize and focus on?
    And the full answer was:
    Haitani: These conflicting questions cut to the heart of what good design is. You have to weigh the desires of more features and functionality vs. the real-life tradeoffs. The other issue that this conflict in questions illustrates is that one size cannot fit all, particularly with software. You can have a lineup of low-end and high-end products, but ultimately the buyers of the low-end product ask why we can’t add the features of the high-end product, and the owners of the high-end product are burdened with features they don’t need.

As for the question of allocating resources and deciding what technologies to focus on, we try to clarify what the goals are for each product. And this often differs depending on which generation of a project we are building. For example, when we built the Treo 600, this was a major leap forward from the Treo 300. So we focused on the core elements: form factor, keyboard usability, and 5-way navigation. We knew that simply checking off those three features was not enough: we had to excel in all three areas for the product to succeed. As a result, we made a conscious decision not to put in features such as a high-res screen, removable battery, Bluetooth, etc. We knew that trying to do too much would cause the usability and overall utility of the product to collapse under its own weight. But then when we developed the 650, we felt we had the core design locked down, so we could circle back and add some of these key features. Sometimes people think that adding those features was a tacit admission that we were wrong for not putting them in the 600. In reality this is a deliberate part of our general design approach.

The trick is making sure not to go too far. We have very passionate debates about our product every time we want to add something. The SD slot was a big one in the 600. We had models built and evaluated the impact on thickness—millimeters matter. It turned out that the SD slot was not the ‘longest pole’ in the design, so that it was a very subtle difference when you held it in your hand. The high-res screen was also a matter of huge debate in the 600 as well. In that case we decided not to put it in. So there are battles over every item that goes in (or doesn’t).
    It was about updates in general and not just about WiFi.

Now that they have finished adding the other features in the T650, WiFi is the next logical step for the next Treo. It will get them a heck of a lot more extra sales than some extra space.

And check the poll results, 29 votes and 51.72% say it's a must have in the next Treo.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    EV-DO in the Treo 700 = No need for WiFi. Maybe as an add-on, but I would prefer to see other things included. Don't ge me wrong, I actually think it would have made sense on the 650, but we are looking at the future now. As many people have stated, BlueTooth makes more sense on the Treo than WiFi.
    How is BT more sense than WiFi? I haven't seen anything that supports that representaton The lack of WiFi being incorporated is not need, but greed. Manufacturers have locked out this capability because they want to force you to buy a phone that requires you to pay high costs for EVDO or have no alternate higher speed source. Perhaps this means buying unlocked Treos for this purposes... which I would do.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Also a WiFi connection would allow people on corporate networks that do not allow their mail servers to be accessed via the Internet to get their mail on the local WiFi connection.
    If the other reasons didn't hit the nail on the head enough for you, this one does.
    IMO it's very simple... If the next Treos have true 3G wireless radios (i.e, 1xEvDo/UMTS etc), then I personally don't think I'ld care about wifi at all...

If not, then I would like it to have integrated wifi...

However, I think it's highly unlikely it won't have 3G...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Now that they have finished adding the other features in the T650, WiFi is the next logical step for the next Treo. It will get them a heck of a lot more extra sales than some extra space.

And check the poll results, 29 votes and 51.72% say it's a must have in the next Treo.
    While I'd hardly call this a scientific poll, I don't doubt that most (at least half) are clamoring for WiFi in the next Treo.

Here's the real question... if WiFi IS included in the next Treo (and my understanding is the capability is apparently in this Treo to use WiFi cards but it was disabled) will carriers have a way/permit the use of unlocked phones not purchased through an authorized dealers that have WiFi enabled to be used on their networks?

I don't think any company could care less about the extra sales if those sales pulled out more from the bottom line than the EVDO sales put in (or its equivalent per each carrier.)
    I think it would be cool to be able to walk into a business meeting and tell the people in the meeting "I have the files on an SD card with me, if I can connect to your WiFi network I can transfer the files to your network". No need for a laptop. No need to physically connect to anyone's computer. No need to worry about them needing an Internet FTP server to transfer files to. No need to even hook up an SD card reader, but just transfer the file(s) straight from the Treo via a wireless connection.

It could also allow telnet and remote desktop utilities to connect to machines that can't be accessed over the internet.

It just opens to door to so many great options.
    Or you could just take a card reader, they may have one built in or use that program that makes the 650 like a card reader and transfer it directly to the machine they want it on instead of you browsing around their network with some program trying to find the right server/folder to put the stuff in. This situation doesn't seem very plausible to me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast