View Poll Results: Will the next Treo device have built-in WiFi or not?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think that Palm must add WiFi in order to stay ahead.

22 43.14%
  • Yes, but I don't think it'll be a deal breaker for me.

11 21.57%
  • No, but that's just because Palm has consistently made mistakes before.

5 9.80%
  • No, because I won't really have a use for it.

8 15.69%
  • I really don't care seeing as how I don't have that need for it.

5 9.80%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    If the other reasons didn't hit the nail on the head enough for you, this one does.
    This situation has to be pretty rare overall.
    I think it makes sense to add it (and would like to use it) but I can definitely see if they put in evdo that the carriers wouldn't care about wifi.

Now if the get the driver going for the wifi/combo sd card...that might be an acceptable trade off.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I think it makes sense to add it (and would like to use it) but I can definitely see if they put in evdo that the carriers wouldn't care about wifi.

Now if the get the driver going for the wifi/combo sd card...that might be an acceptable trade off.
    I agree. Put the EV-DO in, get WiFi via a card for those that want it.

Cheers, Perry
    Regarding the transfer of files from the Treo to a network file system using WiFi.

Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    This situation doesn't seem very plausible to me.
    For me it is more than just "plausible" it is a real life scenario I have faced myself. (Same as people with a laptop might want to transfer a file without having to tie into another machine via a cable.)

The additional hardware involved in trying to link a Treo to a machine is not always handy. However, the additional flexibility offered via WiFi access (and not having the SD card slot tied up with a WiFi card) could help me and others in various real world business scenarios.

While many here may not have faced the business needs I've mentioned here it is the reason other manufacturers already have WiFi built into their devices and Palm would do well to follow suit.
    What software are you going to use to browse the network?
    Just as other features in the Treo provided more new types of software for business needs the availability of the feature (WiFi) would offer a market for a slew of software for the task.

Owners of a PPC with WiFi can already do it via the built in file explorer that can connect to network file systems as easily as it can be done on a Windows PC.

It is time for Palm to show they can at least "meet" the competition.
    I still think it would be far more useful in that case to use a card reader, flash drive or burn a cd and be done with it instead of asking permission to connect to their wifi, browsing "their" network and putting the files somewhere. Seems like a lot more work than needed just to be a treo "geek"
    On the rare occassion this scenario would likely play out it seems more useful just to spend $30 to get a USB flash drive and use it.
    Well Primate, that is why we all speak for ourselves I guess.

For me I have times when there are businesses I'm working with on a regular basis. So the whole "permission" factor is a non-issue. I just need the Treo to be able to do it and I'm good from there. For me it would be less work to have the network file system setup once to use as needed than to break out an SD reader or USB flash drive, etc every time I need to move a file.

I hope Palm makes a Treo just for you without WiFi. For me I could use the WiFi.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12