Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    the treo 650 is great as it is. it has its issues, but is nearing perfection.

there are many different camps on what would make the treo perfect - what has to be improved upon - but we are getting there.

where things are now, palmone has achieved many of the major necessities - like hi res, faster processor, bluetooth, etc. in the 650, and at this point further improvement is going to involve simply making the major components more sophisticated.

some of what some may see as revolutionary changes to come about will be ev-do, windows mobile, and linux os.

the evolutionary changes will be:
    1) faster, less power-hungry processor ( 520 to 624 mhz processor )
    2) enhanced multi-tasking capabilities
    3) bluetooth 1.2 or higher - listen to mp3, movie audio, and phone calls via
    bluetooth headset
    4) improved speakerphone
    5) adobe acrobat enhancements - can open pdf documents from within blazer
    6) 64 - 128 mb ram - really the biggest issue - but a 1 gig microharddrive would really make the treo the perfect smartphone.
    7) browser improvements - blazer is nice but too slow - possibly designing blazer to operate in the fashion that xiino does would be a great addition. would save battery life.
    8) the keyboard will probably be built with larger keys, much the way we saw in the 670 prototype photos.
    9) maybe thinner and lighter - as microchips and components grow smaller and thinner, so will the smartphones.
    10) 1.3 - 2.0 megapixel camera with improved zoom and flash - dont really need much more than a 2 mpixel camera on a smartphone. imo
    11) blackberry connect, or chattermail push email MUST be implemented into the onboard software - push email is the route business are using, and in order to take a greater share of the market from blackberry, THIS is a must in the next treo line. otherwise, people will still continue to prefer the blackberry for an email device.
    12) wifi - arguably unnecessary with the arrival of evdo.

any other ideas as to how the next line might sway all those on the fence about going treo?
    Well, there's no way to make everyone happy, but I think some nice enhancements would be:

1. A "snapshot" view as the main screen you can configure as you wish (somethinng like 2day but one that can pull info from just about anything you're running).

2. A partnership with iTunes to "iPod" the treo literally (require more memory but they could grab a huge market with that feature).

3. Whatever it takes to hookup something like vCast, where stations and news agencies can stream you stuff for a free (subscription packages by channel so we only pay for what we want).

I don't like the idea of it getting too much slimmer or lighter.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    I like everything so far but I do want the wifi option. (I want to be able to surf and talk on the phone at the same time....no more missed calls.)

I use my camera a lot...impromptu shots. Having at least a 1.3 mp camera with flash and avi recording would be great for me.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Built in Wifi, EvDo capability in CDMA versions, audible driving directions like Nextel ( I realize this is currently a carrier-type feature but would be great if it could be built in.)

I'm not sure I like the Idea of a micro-drive on a smartphone, unless it were VERY shock resistant.

How about the ability to utilize Satellite radio (XM or Sirius).

Multimedia capabibility A'la Sanyo MM-5600.

Built in Voice recognition and dialing.

I realize this is a pretty big Wish-list but with 4 GB flash media available and micro-drives as large as 40 GB It's achievable-IMO.

The big question is if they did ALL of this how much would the device cost. PalmOne could put it all in but if it's $1000 who'd buy it??

just my .02.

Great topic for discussion.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "1. A "snapshot" view as the main screen you can configure as you wish (somethinng like 2day but one that can pull info from just about anything you're running).

2. A partnership with iTunes to "iPod" the treo literally (require more memory but they could grab a huge market with that feature).

3. Whatever it takes to hookup something like vCast, where stations and news agencies can stream you stuff for a free (subscription packages by channel so we only pay for what we want).

I don't like the idea of it getting too much slimmer or lighter. "

1) the 2day snapshot: I agree. that would be a fantastic addition. enabling you to see your agenda while being able to navigate through to or launch any of your applications from within one screen. excellent idea.

2) Itunes partnership: another great idea. this would, without a doubt, draw a huge crowd from the apple community.

3) vcast streaming: agree with this too. adding sirius this way would draw another huge crowd into the treo community.

all these new additions along with push email would just about make up a near perfect device.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "I like everything so far but I do want the wifi option. (I want to be able to surf and talk on the phone at the same time....no more missed calls."

I can definitely see the appeal of wifi here. this would TRULY make multitasking on a treo a polished experience.

the carriers will have to be convinced or persuaded from their current positions on wifi and smartphones, but this implementation would bring about still more growth for palmone treoline.

the only issue with wifi would be its drain on the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    the only issue with wifi would be its drain on the battery.
    True but its not like you would run around all day with it on. You would turn it on when you are near your hotspot or router and then turn it off when you are done.

I don't want to wait for evdo (or its probable increase in price to the data plan) and IF I had too...I would buy the wifi card and get it that way if it really worked.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I don't want to wait for evdo (or its probable increase in price to the data plan)
    That's what scares me. I can't wait for the next generation of data connectivity... for me that's the reason I have a treo. but still, I have a hard time justifying the $19.99 (cingular) I spend on data now.

Brett
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    the increase in costs for new data plans on a new evdo service is a very real concern.

I have sprint currently for which I pay $72.00 per month for unlimited data, 500 minutes, insurance and unlimited sms messaging. I see $70 / mth for a cellphone as too high as it is, so to go to $100 per month in order to have evdo would be a tough decision.
    I agree with you that the price increase will NOT be well- received by the majority, though many will succumb to the allure of broadband speeds on a handset.

wifi does have its appeal especially since you can get access to it without paying some costly amount for broadband. I can see this point too.

tough call here. well, if they can offer evdo at prices competitive with those of current cdma plans, then we'd be talking.
    Hardware-wise the next gen Treo should have:

-faster proc
    -1xEvDo/UMTS/Edge radio
    -Doubt it will have wifi...sorry
    -64 MB NVFS
    -Hopefully 256-512 MB internal Nand storage similar to T5
    -1.3 MP cam, still no flash
    -other incremental os and hardware updates and with less bugs.

Overall, considering Palm's past history of incrementalism, don't wish for anything too exciting...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Hardware-wise the next gen Treo should have:

-faster proc
    -1xEvDo/UMTS/Edge radio
    -Doubt it will have wifi...sorry
    -64 MB NVFS
    -Hopefully 256-512 MB internal Nand storage similar to T5
    -1.3 MP cam, still no flash
    -other incremental os and hardware updates and with less bugs.

Overall, considering Palm's past history of incrementalism, don't wish for anything too exciting...
    I'll upgrade from my dependable 600 for that

the increase in costs for new data plans on a new evdo service is a very real concern.

I have sprint currently for which I pay $72.00 per month for unlimited data, 500 minutes, insurance and unlimited sms messaging. I see $70 / mth for a cellphone as too high as it is, so to go to $100 per month in order to have evdo would be a tough decision.
    I agree with you that the price increase will NOT be well- received by the majority, though many will succumb to the allure of broadband speeds on a handset.
    The lower data price is what keeps Sprint in the game...because its surely not their CS.

wifi does have its appeal especially since you can get access to it without paying some costly amount for broadband. I can see this point too.
    With all the hotspots in So. CA...definitely. Down by Huntington Beach and Newport Beach, they are implementing FREE WAN.

tough call here. well, if they can offer evdo at prices competitive with those of current cdma plans, then we'd be talking.
    I am not going to count my breath...check out the verizon 6600 and their broadband access plan...OUCH.

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "I am not going to count my breath...check out the verizon 6600 and their broadband access plan...OUCH."

yeah, this is what's got me concerned. I'm looking forward to high data speeds but the cost of those plans are ridiculous. sprint will hopefully be a little more reasonable than verizon regarding the new plans, but either way we'll still be paying through the nose.
    well, if theu couple push email accounts along with their ev-do plans, they might have a more attractive possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    The lower data price is what keeps Sprint in the game...because its surely not their CS.
    I know many who went with Sprint instead of VZW due to pricing. Then they went on vacation to la-la land, came back, and signed up with VZW. The price you pay isn't worth squat if you can't use the device will camping out.

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    With all the hotspots in So. CA...definitely. Down by Huntington Beach and Newport Beach, they are implementing FREE WAN.
    Tons of hotels are doing this as well, so if you're hanging out in the vicinity of a hotel with a good signal, you get free Wi-Fi.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    I know many who went with Sprint instead of VZW due to pricing. Then they went on vacation to la-la land, came back, and signed up with VZW. The price you pay isn't worth squat if you can't use the device will camping out.
    Pamela
    What do you mean? An extra five bucks a month gets you Verizon's network, Alltel's network, Cellular One's network, US Cellular's network, Gary's Old Time wireless network. Why would you switch to VZW and pay $35-$45 more a month for data when you can pay $5 more for the roaming option with Sprint? VZW's data network is no larger than Sprint's? I'm confused, or your friends didn't make the greatest fiscal decision of their live there.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    With Sprint's roaming option, it only allows roaming for phone calls. When roaming, you can't use vzn's data.
    I like the "ipod-ization" suggestion! I'd love to have a headset jack that didn't require one of those hard-to-find adapters...
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt
    With Sprint's roaming option, it only allows roaming for phone calls. When roaming, you can't use vzn's data.
    Also, the $5 only get's you 100 minutes of roaming. . . . .
    has there ever been a faster processor that uses less power?

im sure Palm will increase the speed, i'm not sure about the memory because they were so vocal about 32megs were enuf. but 64 would be great.

my thoughts on the next treo
    hardware needs: thinner no antenna, more memory, better camera, better (louder) head set.
    not neccessary: wifi. would be nice, but a battery killer.

software: who cares just keep the intergration and the use of stylus to a minimum.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    My next "smartphone" MUST have a minimum 2 slots (at least one of which MUST be SDIO). They can be different format; but should support future sizing (no 2 gig limit, like now). (SDIO is useless on the T650 because all our apps are stored on the 1 or 2 gig cards...no swapping for us.)

Must have blue1.2 (or v2, depending on timeline?) and USB2 (may not need native wifi if 2 SDIO slots are avail. and suitable drivers emerge).

Of course, the MINIMUM memory at this point is 128...but why not design it to run entirely off <slot1> and let the user determine "ram"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast