1.    #1  
    I am a 33yr old male living and working in New York City. I own a small technology consulting firm and I am a Palm shareholder. From the earliest days of the U.S Robotics Palm Pilot 1000, I have been an avid user and supporter of the Palm platform and devices. I have owned over 13 different palm-based devices over the years and I currently own a Treo 650 which I use throughout the day.

I am writing you today as a concerned customer. I fear that the Palm corporation is a ship lost at sea and that my financial and technological investment in Palm-based products is making me quite insecure.

The recent news of the "re-aquisition" of the Palm brand name is just another awkward step down an staricase of confusion. First splitting the company into PalmOne and PalmSource appeared to make sense, at least financially. PalmSource announces development of the Cobalt OS which left Palm users anticipating a long awaited system update. Now we are told that PalmSource is putting all its resources to develop in a Linux-based environment. Where does that leave Cobalt? Where does that leave existing Palm users?

Palm's purchase of Handspring several years back also appeared to be a move in the right direction. Considering Palm's laughable attempts at integrated devices (Palm Tungsten C and Palm Tungsten W) it appeared that buying Handspring would give Palm the all-in-one device it couldn't seem to R&D on its own. Once the Treo was under Palm's control, my only hope was that Palm wouldn't mishandle the seemingly wonderful device and the future it had in front of it. Then the Treo 650 is released. Despite initial positive reviews, the power users soon come to realize the device is wrought with bugs including, memory handling issues, speaker/headset issues, as well as a disgraceful price bait and switch involving the unlocked version of the smartphone.

The overall impression in the technology community is that Palm has now become a confused, slow-moving niche player in a fast-moving, big fish industry. Palm's progress has been slower than almost any other comparable firm. Their hardware is marginally state of the art, the software appears to be heading down a confusing road map of instability and the management can't seem to figure out who or what they want to be as their perpetual name changes indicate.

What Palm needs is a clear, concise roadmap both technically and structurally.

My questions are as follows.

1. What OS will future Palm devices run?
    2. What will Palm's relationship with PalmSource be?
    3. Will Palm focus it's R&D on PDA's or Smartphones?
    4. Who will lead Palm through these growing pains? (Is Ed Colligan really the person best suited to do this?)
    5. Assuming Palm ends up using Windows Mobile as it's primary OS, does it then become simply a niche hardware maker?
    6. What are we to make of Palm's waffling support of the Macintosh platform?
    7. When will Palm regain the innovation and creativity that prompted us to begin using it in the first place?

Thank you.
    Tony Ricciardi
    Owner
    www.MacSupport.com
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    Might want to add on "the Treo 650 has some serious software (and design) flaws and your technical support is completely useless."

Also please spell-check.
  3. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lindros2
    Might want to add on "the Treo 650 has some serious software (and design) flaws and your technical support is completely useless."

Also please spell-check.
    Also, cut down on the adjectives and stick to concise, hard facts with evidences. Otherwise it can come across as subjective rhetoric instead of objective and reasoned comment.
    Personally, I think Palm is moving fairly slowly...but I'd attribute that to PalmSource and the market. Palm said they'd have a family of Treos and I'm not seeing them. Their 650 is hands down the only PDA that can be mistaken for a phone, and vice-versa. The only thing for them to do is make it faster, upgrade to future wireless technologies (i.e. - WiFi, WiMax, UWB, EV-DO) and Palm OS for Linux. Which all of them are going to take time in the marketplace. Oh yea, they could give me a clamshell tablet device; I'd prefer it to a candybar phone because it'd have a bigger screen AND keyboard, while keeping BOTH safe when closed.

The top 3 things on my list to see from Palm && PalmSource in order:
    (1)Palm OS for Linux
    (2)Clamshell Tablet (same size as the 650 when closed, maybe even slightly smaller)
    (3)EV-DO Treo
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyricciardi
    1. What OS will future Palm devices run?
    2. What will Palm's relationship with PalmSource be?
    3. Will Palm focus it's R&D on PDA's or Smartphones?
    4. Who will lead Palm through these growing pains? (Is Ed Colligan really the person best suited to do this?)
    5. Assuming Palm ends up using Windows Mobile as it's primary OS, does it then become simply a niche hardware maker?
    6. What are we to make of Palm's waffling support of the Macintosh platform?
    7. When will Palm regain the innovation and creativity that prompted us to begin using it in the first place?

Thank you.

1. Palm will run palmos for forseeable future as they have already renewed their palmos lisence until 2009:

PalmSource and palmOne today announced that palmOne has renewed its license of the Palm operating system. As part of this new agreement, palmOne can continue to develop and market smartphones and other mobile devices based on the industry leading Palm OS through 2009.

Under the terms of the agreement PalmSource will receive minimum royalty payments of $148.5 million, which includes $65 million for calendar years 2007 to 2009 subject to meeting certain development milestones.
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7865

The key language here is "certain development milestones" as it probably infers to the support smartphone API's in future Palm Linux...

2. See above. They will remain separate and Palm will keep it's options open. PalmSource has to meet certain targets according to their agreement.

3. Absolutely the focus is on smartphones. The treo already account for %50 of Palm's profits. The Treo is the bread and butter now...

4. Colligan has already been named as permananet replacement...

5. Won't happen soon unless PalmSource does major Fubar. However, Palm may release WM device in addtion to palmos, not replacing it entirely imo...

6. Waffling? It was palmsource not palm that dropped mac support for future PD. Palm imo will continue to support it via 3rd party solutions like missing sync imo...

7. The Lifedrive has no innovation? How about the Treo, NVFS, etc? I agree more innovative form factors would be nice, but I don't see much innovation coming from anywhere else either...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Wow Gfunkmagic... Looks like Open letter is been answered. Anyone else with any open letter want to save postage??????
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.