Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im really curious about apps like versamail but do not have a pop server. For 20 bucks a year you can use a yahoo pop server.

I would like to get opinions about the benifits of useing apps like chatter, versamail, snapprmail ect. versus just going to yahoo mail on the web browser.

I have set up yahoo alerts before and it forwards a brief of the email to the treo.

What more does a email app and a pop server do for you, or why do you like it better?
    VersaMail has worked fine for me. I have my home and work email accounts set up on my Treo and set to "pull" every 30 minutes. Now that we have solved the "won't delete off server problem" it is perfect for my needs. I have not tried the others.

In options -- I have set that a copy of my replies (sent from the Treo) to go back to the server, so that I can retain that record in my home or work Outlook.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    First, POP email is not for everyone. In fact, in an ideal world no one would use POP. It has quite a few limitations and IMAP is a much better solution. If you do decide to switch to a different email provider definitely make sure you pick one that allows IMAP connections.

Now, that said, I think your question really should be "What does a native email app do for you?"

I think speed and ease of use are the big ones. With a native email app you don't have to worry about waiting for the web site to load every time you want to view your email, nor do you have to wait for a web page to load to reply or compose a new email. Since most email apps for the Treo download all or some of your email (depending on how you configure it) then you can read your existing emails and compose new emails in an area with no service or when you have the phone turned off (in an airplane or whatever).

If you're not a big email user then it might not be worth it for you, but if you're like me and you recieve and reply to 10-20+ emails a day on the Treo then I think you'd go nuts trying to do that with a web interface.

HTH,
    Brett

PS... if you do decide to try something, then I'd suggest Chatter.
    POP3 is trash. IMAP is the way to go. I only use IMAP, on my multiple clients/mailservers. Because I run my own mailserver I have the option to choose both protocols, however, POP3 is quite antiquated and has some severe limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    Im really curious about apps like versamail but do not have a pop server. For 20 bucks a year you can use a yahoo pop server.

I would like to get opinions about the benifits of useing apps like chatter, versamail, snapprmail ect. versus just going to yahoo mail on the web browser.

I have set up yahoo alerts before and it forwards a brief of the email to the treo.

What more does a email app and a pop server do for you, or why do you like it better?
    I believe you can pop a GMail account and it's free.

I have Snapper mail which you can set to check mail every whatever minutes.
  6.    #6  
    So it looks like the difference between:

1) my yahoo alerts, sending and recieving email via treo web browser
    -VERSUS-
    2) an email app with a pop or an IMAP server is:

That with a email app and a pop or an IMAP you dont have to wait 30 to 90 seconds between pages loading (reading/deleting/composing mail) and you can do it any time, phone off no coverage ect.

Thanks for the info. Are those the highlights?
    Right on -- on the off line aspect. I download my emails before boarding a plane. Do my replies enroute. Send when I get off the plane.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    First, POP email is not for everyone. In fact, in an ideal world no one would use POP. It has quite a few limitations and IMAP is a much better solution. If you do decide to switch to a different email provider definitely make sure you pick one that allows IMAP connections.

Now, that said, I think your question really should be "What does a native email app do for you?"

I think speed and ease of use are the big ones. With a native email app you don't have to worry about waiting for the web site to load every time you want to view your email, nor do you have to wait for a web page to load to reply or compose a new email. Since most email apps for the Treo download all or some of your email (depending on how you configure it) then you can read your existing emails and compose new emails in an area with no service or when you have the phone turned off (in an airplane or whatever).

If you're not a big email user then it might not be worth it for you, but if you're like me and you recieve and reply to 10-20+ emails a day on the Treo then I think you'd go nuts trying to do that with a web interface.

HTH,
    Brett

PS... if you do decide to try something, then I'd suggest Chatter.
    What are the reasons that IMAP is better than POP? I run a mail server, and it uses both; is there a reason why I would want to use IMAP rather than POP for mail accounts on this server? I've never really looked into this much; mail service is something I provide for my clients as a free service with their hosting services.

Bob
  9.    #9  
    Thanks DaThomas for the tip, looks like there all out of invites for now. For anyone whose curious it looks like it will be available to everyone as soon as the people who were invited to test GMAIL give all their feedback.
    Thanks DaThomas for the tip, looks like there all out of invites for now. For anyone whose curious it looks like it will be available to everyone as soon as the people who were invited to test GMAIL give all their feedback.
    Do you want one?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I think a lot of this depends on how you use e-mail. As BrettS said, if you are switching providers, just find one that supports IMAP.

Since Chatter (and others?) supports IMAP, you can have your e-mail delivered to you instantly (versus simple notification of Yahoo alerts or polling every # of minutes). Also, if you check your e-mail from a variety of locations, IMAP is great because everything stays synced in all locations. For me, those are the two biggest advantages.

Another added convenience is how IMAP handles attachments. You can selectively download attachments and it always tells you how large the attachments are before you download them. IMAP is really a lot more functional then POP, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    VersaMail has worked fine for me. I have my home and work email accounts set up on my Treo and set to "pull" every 30 minutes. Now that we have solved the "won't delete off server problem" it is perfect for my needs. I have not tried the others.

In options -- I have set that a copy of my replies (sent from the Treo) to go back to the server, so that I can retain that record in my home or work Outlook.

Cheers, Perry.
    Would you point me to where the problem with Versamail was solved? When I download my mail and then delete it it always ends up coming back next time I download from the Treo. I know I can hit "delete from server", but I want to be able to later download a copy to my home computer. On most POP email clients, when you download from one computer and then delete the mail locally, it doesn't redownload the same mails next time; however, downloading from another email client (like on a different PC) will still download those emails (assuming the first email client is setup to "leave messages on server"). Have you figured out how to make Versamail work like this? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Now that we have solved the "won't delete off server problem" it is perfect for my needs. I have not tried the others.
    I did a search for this and couldn't find - can you post a link.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=87064

Post 19, if you don't want to wade thru all the preliminaries. . . .

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    What are the reasons that IMAP is better than POP? I run a mail server, and it uses both; is there a reason why I would want to use IMAP rather than POP for mail accounts on this server? I've never really looked into this much; mail service is something I provide for my clients as a free service with their hosting services.

Bob
    IMO Imap is better than POP because whatever changes you make to the email (delete, flag, reply, forward, etc.) are usually done in real time and can usually be reflected to the server so that when you view the same email account on another computer/treo, you will see all those changes and in some instances...you wont have to redo it (i.e. delete something in POP, you might have to delete it again when you get back to your desktop client).

For me, I have a laptop at home set up with my imap account as well as my treo with chatter and my work pc. I do something once to an email, I can go to any of my other computers and the change has already migrated.

*(some email providers like gmail have gotten better about the fact that if you delete or forward something, you can have it move out of your inbox and save it elsewhere).

Plus, with chatter, you get benefits like pop up notifications (so I can be surfing TC and then get an email, respond to it, mark it read, delete it and go right back to my webpage without leaving it.)

I think Marc will tell you that IMAP is a much more efficient way of handling email (data use, etc.) than POP as well.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Do you want one?
    Thanks Insertion. I have to say I love this site. I ask one question and right away everyone gives me great info and Insertion sends me an account saving me the 20 bucks I was going to spend on yahoo.
    Thanks Insertion. I have to say I love this site. I ask one question and right away everyone gives me great info and Insertion sends me an account saving me the 20 bucks I was going to spend on yahoo.
    Now all you need to do is take that $20 and put it towards Chatter!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    IMAP, you can have your e-mail delivered to you instantly (versus polling every # of minutes).
    So does this translate to:

POP = battery drain checking email every # minutes

IMAP = no real battery drain? Connection is only made if there is info to send or info to recieve?
    I think there is battery drain either way. Arguably it could be more with chatter because if your server has idle, it might be checking the server more often but on the flip side, Marc and other users would probably say thats its actually less especially if you consider the fact that you arent downloading the attachments unless you choose to.

My treo goes all day connected to chatter and constantly keeping my inbox up to date. YMMV.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Very informative thread, was never aware of the advantages IMAP has over POP
    1 | 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast