Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I found a Treo 650 (didn't steal it!!) and I'd sure as hell like to keep it.

The service provider is Sprint. What can I do to activate it as my own phone?
    Do I need to wait a while until the service is cancelled by the previous owner?
    Will the phone be blocked by Sprint in some way preventing me from using it? Can I use a provider other than Sprint (say, Cingular)?

If anyone can give me insight into what I can do I'd appreciate it!

note- there was no identifying information in the phone that I could use to track down the owner
    I don't want to come off the wrong way but...

If you wanted to get it to the original owner, call Sprint and tell them you found it. Im sure they can call the owner or arrange for you to return it to the true owner without cost to you.

If it was reported stolen, its not much good to you anyway. Try looking in the preferences and then owner to see if they have any information that you can contact them by. Or call the cell phone number and leave a voicemail letting the person know you found it. Hopefully they will listen to the voicemail and contact you.

Do unto others as you would have done to you...
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    call sprint sand have them look up the esn.. they can trace the real owner
    return the phone you can't use it anyway...
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    u cant use it. if it was lost or stolen it will be reported. so do the right thing and contact sprint to find the owner, im sure they will appreciate it.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I think nextel will activate it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by c00ld00d
    I found a Treo 650 (didn't steal it!!) and I'd sure as hell like to keep it.

The service provider is Sprint. What can I do to activate it as my own phone?
    Do I need to wait a while until the service is cancelled by the previous owner?
    Will the phone be blocked by Sprint in some way preventing me from using it? Can I use a provider other than Sprint (say, Cingular)?

If anyone can give me insight into what I can do I'd appreciate it!

note- there was no identifying information in the phone that I could use to track down the owner
    Ummm, how would YOU feel. Sprint can return it to the customer. AND just because you found it - you may not legally have the right to keep it for yourself. Especially if it was reported as stolen.

Do call the voicemail. I do that every time I find a phone and I always get a call back from the owner. Even met a guy right by the airport (he was on his way home the night after he lost it at a concert).

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Do the right thing....
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I think nextel will activate it for you.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by c00ld00d
    Thanks
    Good luck with that. Be persistant,,,the 650 is not common with nextel. If the first person you talk to is not familiar with the 650 keep trying.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Return it, maybe the guy will give you a reward. If someone returned my treo I would throw them a fifty.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Stick with the Nextel idea. Best shot. Ask for Level 7 tech support. The first guy may not know what you're talking about, you know, outsourcing and all, but once you have found one, you need to ask for a Flux Manager (hey, I don't make these names up... ) or Chief Engineer. I know of one named Montgomery Scott, but I can't give you a direct line. Tell them you need a Forced Induction Retrograde on this phone.

It's a Holiday weekend though, so they'll be off until at least Tuesday...

Good luck, and be persistent. As noted chances are the first Nextel guy won't know what the Hell you're talking about.
    Last edited by Insertion; 07/03/2005 at 08:27 PM. Reason: I kant speel too gude. Acurissy is a mustt
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    First you should try to use it, and if it works, try and call the owner. Ask them if they think it is OK for you to just keep it. If they say yes, go to a Sprint store and setup a new account and enjoy your new phone. If they are not 100% enthusiastic about your idea, try and understand what they might be going through, and how you might feel if you were on the other side of the phone, then try to do whatever you would have liked them to if they were calling about your lost phone. If you believe in an afterlife, you will be richly rewarded for your actions.

regards, -- Bob

EDIT: I just reread and realized that you couldn't find the owner. Too bad, they might have given you some sort or reward for finding the phone. If you tried all the recommendations above, try returning it to a Sprint store. Another idea is to go to a police station in the juristiction where you found the phone. They'll be able to tell you what the rules are on legally keeping the phone. If I were you, I'd just bring it to a Sprint store, tell them the truth, and offer to return it if that's allowed. If they like the idea, maybe you can ask the manager if they can offer you some kind of "nice guy" discount on a new treo of your own! (Everybody walks away happy!)
    Last edited by sudoer; 07/03/2005 at 06:53 PM.
    Me thinks this is a spoof post.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Do call the voicemail. I do that every time I find a phone and I always get a call back from the owner. Even met a guy right by the airport (he was on his way home the night after he lost it at a concert).
    Some people stop at nothing to get a date...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Probably, but at least c00ld00d now knows where he can go.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    I think the best thing to do is return it to the owner. With Sprint Phones, if you lose it or it gets stolen, whoever finds it will have nothing more then a nice looking paperweight. You will not be able to use the phone. I have my phone set up so it shows my info right at the beginning and asks for a passcode to enter the phone area. So pretty much you are going nowhere but to stare at my info. If I lost my precious Treo, I would gladly offer a reward to the kind person who returned it. I mean the amount of documents, software, pics and music was very expensive to get. I know you can easily restore it on a new Treo, but how long would that guy be without a phone? Call up Sprint... Return it to the owner... Do the right thing man. If you really want a Treo, save up and earn one. For new accounts you can get it for about 180.00 with a 2 year agreement. I would gladly pay for half your new phone (90.00) for the kindness and honesty you've shown.

P.S. You won't go to hell either... (lol kidding)
    ...or you could call nextel.

I think they have $5/month unlimited data on the 650
    Return it.
    Part it out
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast