1.    #1  
    Just saw this a few minutes ago. The inference is that we won't see Cobalt, which really disappoints me.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...phone-promised

Damn.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    There is another article on another thread talking about the idea that cobalt wont be on the next treo...maybe linux.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I'm hoping for DOS 5.0 myself
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    This isn't new. PalmSource has said they're working on Linux for quite some time now. Linux will be far superior as a multi-tasking kernal than Cobalt. Just look at all the development behind it already.

The key, though, is the user interface, which is separate from the underlying OS. And, PalmSource has implied that they're going to graft the Cobalt interface on top of Linux.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    There is another article on another thread talking about the idea that cobalt wont be on the next treo...maybe linux.
    Here's the other thread.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
  6.    #6  
    ...but did you read the WHOLE article. NONE of our existing third party software will work. I'm sorry, but that SUCKS!!!!!!!! And there's no gurantee that your favorite developers will develop for this new OS.
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...but did you read the WHOLE article. NONE of our existing third party software will work. I'm sorry, but that SUCKS!!!!!!!! And there's no gurantee that your favorite developers will develop for this new OS.

Umm no... Palm Linux (PL) according to PalmSource will basically be Cobalt API's on top of linux kernal. All protein bases palmos apps should then be able towork on PL. Furthermore, PalmSource is working on two different products here: one is PL and the other is the Feature phone. The latter will be a closed platform for lower end phones similar to Nokia's Series 40 that will provide cheap and powerful platform for users wanting a palmos-like interface...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Now there's an operating system that was stable. Loved it. Ben

------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'm hoping for DOS 5.0 myself
  9.    #9  
    Uhhh...I just reread that article, and your right gfunk, I don't know where I got that, but I could have SWORN it said something about that. I guess that's what I get for reading that article at two in the morning after three pitchers of margaritas then psoting it based on that one cursory drunken reading. Sorry. That actually makes me feel a lot better. Question now is how long will this delay the next Treo? Is Palm going to wait for this OS or go ahead with "something" else?
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Now there's an operating system that was stable. Loved it. Ben

------------------------
    And with DOS 5.0 on the Treo, we can install WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS and not have to go through all this crap with DocumentsToGo and the like...
    I started with WP3.1 and never changed for routine use. I purchased MultiMate for work and WP for home use. I have kept up on Word 'cause of the need, but heck, WP is still my favorite - I mainly use WP12 for personal use.

Ben

-------------------

Quote Originally Posted by polscphd2b
    And with DOS 5.0 on the Treo, we can install WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS and not have to go through all this crap with DocumentsToGo and the like...
    what surprise me is why don't Palm reskin PalmOS5.4 and call it PalmOS 6 and support it until they have the linus PalmOS avaiable. That was basically what MacOS9 was right?