1.    #1  
    There's often a lot of complaining when a new phone comes out with a built-in camera. I can appreciate that a lot of businesses don't permit them (though I've yet to actually come across one of these myself), but I believe that it's inevitable that more and more phones will have them and more and more developers will find interesting uses for them. I think it's important to view the camera not as a "camera for taking pictures" but as a sense of sight. Similarly, a microphone is not just for recording voice memos, but is a sense of hearing.

Already, developers have made use of the microphone for launching applications, assisting in tuning guitars, and likely other things. An app first developed for the Treo 600 made use of the camera to set screen brightness to appropriate levels (similar to the light sensor on my old iPaq 3600 which I thought was a good idea, if not perfect, at the time though it disappeared and no manufacturer ever thought to try it out again).

I believe I read recently about an app for scanning in barcodes with the Treo using its camera. I thought these cameras weren't useful for business use.

Anyways, I just came across a pretty cool twist on that. It's only available for Symbian Series 60 phones and seems to be closely tied into this one specific company that's looking to profit from it all eventually, but I think this would be very cool to have on the Treo. Perhaps we should lobby this company to provide a Palm OS version of the necessary software. It's called ShotCode. A "ShotCode" is a round maze-like symbols designed to be printed and placed out in the public (on an ad poster or wherever). You snap a picture of it with the ShotCode app on your phone and it automatically fires up your browser and sends you to a specific web page. An example they give is that you might see an ad poster for a movie and snap the ShotCode on the ad which takes you to a site where you can purchase movie tickets to that movie.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    A "ShotCode" is a round maze-like symbols designed to be printed and placed out in the public (on an ad poster or wherever). You snap a picture of it with the ShotCode app on your phone and it automatically fires up your browser and sends you to a specific web page.
    Reminds me of the old Cue:Cat pushed by RadioShack and others.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I want to use my beam as a scanner to hit a barcode in a grocery store and have a program tell me only the nutrional values I want.

And if it's in Target? Give me competitive pricing on that product so I can decide if I want to buy it there or down the road.

:-)

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    I want to use my beam as a scanner to hit a barcode in a grocery store and have a program tell me only the nutrional values I want.

And if it's in Target? Give me competitive pricing on that product so I can decide if I want to buy it there or down the road.

:-)

Pamela
    With the Barcode/13 application you can scan the code, copy it to the clipboard and paste it into a Google search page to get info and prices on the product. Pretty cool!

I was actually kidding around, but hey, that's not a bad idea. I think I'll check that out!
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antmelnat
    With the Barcode/13 application you can scan the code, copy it to the clipboard and paste it into a Google search page to get info and prices on the product. Pretty cool!

Or you can simply go to google and search on the name or type of the product. While the barcode scanner app does seem pretty interesting I'm not entirely sure how useful it will be here.

I haven't tried this, but I bet if you search on the name of a product you'll get a lot more hits than if you search on the UPC code.

Brett
    Quote Originally Posted by antmelnat

Where can I get this software? It seems pretty cool!!! Thank you for your help!!!
    Paul
    The shotcode.com web page has a 3 line form on the download page http://www.shotcode.com/download that you can use to tell them which phone you have in case it is not listed on the downloads page. With treocentral folks bombarding that site, I'm sure they will have to develop a palm version.

- Sid
    Unlocked 650
  9.    #9  
    They also have forums and I started up this thread over there asking about Palm OS support (in case anyone here wants to add to that thread). In that thread, I also provided a link back to this thread here at TreoCentral so that they could monitor the discussion here.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.