1.    #1  
    This guy I'm talking to is lying through his teeth and saying the system doesn't allow him to change the data packages for Treos. I told him that I had a friend who had the 19.99 MediaNet package on his Treo and it works just fine. He said that if Cingular finds out they will change it.
    I asked if I switched phones and changed the sim card, could i get medianet for 19.99. He said i would have to give him a s/n for the phone so they can verify the package with the phone. Is this true?

s
    Try changing it on the Cingular web site.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Just have him disconnect pdanet and then you can add MediaNet Unlimited via the website. Make sure you have him disconnect pdanet first though.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    meant pdaconnect
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Some phone reps are idiots. If you don't get what you want, call back and get another rep. Eventually you always get what you want. Have to battle the red tape.
  6.    #6  
    Crap... ok.. so i went online to change my plan. I added the MediaNet and it said that to add MediaNet i would have to cancel the conflicting plan (PDAnet). So i went for it. Now I look at my plan and it has bot PDAnet and MediaNet on my plan. I just got off the phone with the Cingular guy and he refused to drop the PDAnet because I have a Treo. I seriously talked to him for half an hour. He had no good answer as to why I am being charged more and I dont get SMS just because i have a Treo. Finally, he told me that he is typing into my account not to give me MediaNet because I have a Treo. This guy totally screwed with me.

Any suggestions? Can i really just cancel PDAnet?

s
    what a dh!
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nunoste
    Crap... ok.. so i went online to change my plan. I added the MediaNet and it said that to add MediaNet i would have to cancel the conflicting plan (PDAnet). So i went for it. Now I look at my plan and it has bot PDAnet and MediaNet on my plan. I just got off the phone with the Cingular guy and he refused to drop the PDAnet because I have a Treo. I seriously talked to him for half an hour. He had no good answer as to why I am being charged more and I dont get SMS just because i have a Treo. Finally, he told me that he is typing into my account not to give me MediaNet because I have a Treo. This guy totally screwed with me.

Any suggestions? Can i really just cancel PDAnet?

s
    First, don't get the MediaWorks plan with SMS messages because that only has 5M of data... you'll get huge overage charges if you do. You need the unlimited MediaNet plan for 19.99. That includes unlimited data, but no SMS.

Cingular will make a note in your account each time you call, so I'm sure the first rep mentioned that he told you that you couldn't get the MediaNet plan, so other reps are probably more likely to stick to their guns now. What I'd suggest doing is calling them up and telling them that you've decided that you don't want to bother with data at all and have them remove the MediaNet (or MediaWorks) plan that you added as well as the PDANet plan. Tell them you think it's too expensive or something. Then, later that day or the next day when it's been totally removed from your account, go online and add MediaNet unlimited yourself.

HTH,
    Brett
    I love SPRINT. I see reminders why everyday.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    I love SPRINT. I see reminders why everyday.
    hehe... despite all this, I still prefer Cingular to Sprint, but this probably isn't the place to get into that. I will admit that I do prefer Sprint's data pricing to Cingular's, though. To each their own, I guess

Brett
    With me the pricing is a pretty big issue. The difference is big. If it was just service, I would choose Verizon.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    For me I think it's three things... Pricing is definitely one and Cingular looses there. However, GSM works worldwide... I don't do a lot of traveling, but it seems like I need global coverage at least once or twice a year, so Cingular wins there. Finally, always on email (chatteremail) is the main reason I got a treo. Unfortunatly CDMA doesn't handle the always on data connection nearly as well as GSM. With CDMA I would be getting a lot of missed calls due to data usage. With GSM I don't have that issue, so Cingular comes out ahead there too.

In this area, at least, coverage isn't a big concern for me. I used to carry two phones... my personal Cingular one and a Sprint one for work and coverage was surprisingly similar for both phones in the areas I frequent.

Brett
    Just say you hate the P.O.S. Treo and decided to get a different phone (unlocked off the internet) and no longer need the PDA Connect. But you want Media Net for the little WAP phone you just bought.
    In other words, you no longer use the Treo Make sure you pick a phone that they'll let you use Media Net with.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    It will be a while before it's universal within CNG customer service and sales, but they are getting much more savvy about the media plans and phones, so it's less likely that some of the workarounds for this reported are going to work anymore for much longer, if at all. I personally know two people who have recently bought Treos from Cingular and attempted to pull the tricks stated here on TC related to getting MediaNet. Both were unsuccessful no matter what they tried.

Today, I had to call CNG to have them activate isp for my web access so I could have both wap and isp access points. They absolutely would not activate the isp access until they confirmed I had PDANet even after I told them up front that I had that plan. This is much different than what has been reported in the past here and elsewhere. I had to do this in order to get my vpn client to work. I'm testing some new stuff along with five other people in my company.

Two other employees doing the same have CNG and had been using MediaNet on their 650s. They too could not get CNG to activate the isp access. Both ended up switching to PDANet. All three of us are located in widely different parts of the country, so I doubt if we were all talking to the same service center. Fortunately for us, my company is picking up the difference in data plan cost.
  15.    #15  
    <blockquote>Just say you hate the P.O.S. Treo and decided to get a different phone (unlocked off the internet) and no longer need the PDA Connect. But you want Media Net for the little WAP phone you just bought.</blockquote>
    He said that if I switched phones, I would have to provide them with the serial number to the new phone.

So.. just an update. The jerk-off who I got into it over at Cingular shut down my internet access just to be a tool. So I had to call tech support. The guy was nice and he added me onto MediaNet. An hour ago , I checked and I was indeed signed up with medianet and the PDAConnect was cancelled. But now, I just checked again, and my MediaNet has been removed and I'm signed back up to PDAnet. I'll wait a day and see if the system gets me back onto Medianet. Maybe there is a lag.
    It may also be merely a matter of time before Cingular starts enforcing the data plans using your phone's IMEI number. This is just a possibility, I have no reason to believe they are planning to do this.
    AT&T said they were doing that with the $20 UMTS plan. The print said that if you use UMTS data on a phone (because you moved the SIM to another phone) with a different IMEI that the one you have on your account, you would be charged per KB.
    This was to prevent you from signing up with a UMTS video phone and moving your SIM to a PDA, for example to use with your laptop.
    I might add, it doesn't preclude you from moving the SIM and using it (for phone calls) but it did prevent you from doing it for data.

SO who knows what the future may hold.
    However, that being said, there are a lot of pople out there with Media works and media net plans that got them legitamately (not using tricks) which makes it difficult for Cingular to suddenly start this practice on existing users. If (and that's a huge IF) this happens, it will most likely be with new customers or when you change rate plans.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G