1.    #1  
    I've been a big time PPC user for the past 5 years or so, but a career change is pushing me into a Treo 650 and my first forray into the Palm OS.

I've been lurking around and reading up on whats going on but having never actually played with a palm, it all seems to be over my head for the most part. Are there any other PPC converts that can give me any pointers on do's or do nots when i get this going hopefully next week?

Any help would obviously be much appreciated!!
    Welcome! You will love your Treo 650. I have used Palm devices for 9 years, so I am no help on PPC conversion pointers. Don't be scared by the banter here, alot of the poster's here are on the bleeding edge, but you will not find a better user group in the world!

I have always found Palm devices and software to be very intuitive.

(Not a biased bone in my body.)

Cheers, Perry
    I came from 2 Windows CE handhelds before going to Palm. I don't know how the newer PPC's compare to CE, but I was very happy with the move to Palm. The system was clean, easy to use, and everything I needed. Windows seemed overly complicated to me, not that I couldn't use it.. but when you have a device on the go, efficiency is the key. Palm is all that and more on the Treo 650. Welcome aboard. You will not regret it!
    Do you have any specific questions?
    I'll start you off with some killer free aps to get!

TCMPM
    Profiles
    mReset
    Colorize

Apps worth buying
    Chatter (if you have an IDLE IMAP server or FastMail.fm account)
    MicroQuad
    Bike or Die!
    Butler
    CardExport 2
    Power Run
    Pocket Tunes

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Another must-have free app for Treo is Directory Assistance. And if you IM, you may want to look into Verichat or Agile Messenger.

Welcome to the Palm community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrax
    I've been a big time PPC user for the past 5 years or so, but a career change is pushing me into a Treo 650 and my first forray into the Palm OS.
    Wow. I've seen plenty of Palm to PPC converts but rarely or never have I seen PPC to Palm. This is exemplified by Palm's loss of the market share to PPC. Anyway, I wish I could point you to a good tutorial but I haven't seen any. I do this against my better judgement, but here are two Palm to PPC tutorials:

http://www.cewindows.net/faqs/convertpalm.htm

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/edit...m_to_PPC_1.htm

What carreer change caused this?

You must be a Sith Lord empowered by the Dark Side, trying to train in the Jedi arts (ie Darth Maul).
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the welcome all.

My main point of concern at the moment is making sure I get a good sync (via cradle is fine) with my Outlook/Exchange contacts & calendar (as well as notes). This will be my life.

I've been searching around the forums here and trying to investigate aps etc, but not having any idea what the default palm included aps are like and how they perform makes it difficult to judge what kind of additional features I might require. Makes it hard to purchase that kind of stuff in advance.
    Hi Andrax! Use the basic Palm apps for awhile -- then decide if you need to move on to 3rd party replacements. . . .

Using and syncing to Outlook is an obvious option in the set up process.

Enjoy!!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    ... is another must-have to simplify typing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden

Using and syncing to Outlook is an obvious option in the set up process.

Enjoy!!
    I second that. Outlook sync is clean and simple with the Treo's Hotsync.
  12.    #12  
    Not to bump old topics, but JEEEZE. Just finally got a freaking order placed for my Treo 650. Been waiting a month for my local Costco to get them back in. Finally gave up when the rep today told me it could be another couple months before they get any in stock.

Ended up ordering it from Sprint Business for about the same price. Now I just have to convert my other 4 lines onto my new business plan. Phone should be here monday. Can't wait to start playing with it. Even have a few weeks to play with it before I have to use it for work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Another must-have free app for Treo is Directory Assistance. And if you IM, you may want to look into Verichat or Agile Messenger.

Welcome to the Palm community.
    I tried DA for the first time yesterday,,, Wow ,,awesome,,,the best free app!! here it is---> http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/dadl.html
  14.    #14  
    That looks OUTSTANDING! I will have to try it out on Monday when I get my 650! I just hope you can change the horrible pink background color!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrax
    That looks OUTSTANDING! I will have to try it out on Monday when I get my 650! I just hope you can change the horrible pink background color!!
    Actually in 2005, men look good in pink!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Welcome to the world of Palm.

I've had quite a bit of expirience with both platforms as I tend to switch back and forth with every new device. My most recent PPC was an Ipaq 4355. Great device, had bluetooth, wifi, and a keyboard. I think part of the reason I switch back and forth between OS's is I get bored with one and like to try the other.

There will be a learning curve, especially as it relates to the use of storage cards and the file structure. It is a good bit different that PPC.

Another thing is despite the fact that most palm's have a higher resolution screen that most PPC's (VGA not included) palm app's (of which there are more of) don't look quite as polished as most PPC app's. There are of course exceptions but loot at Agendus and DateBk5, although extremely functional they don't look near as nice as Agenda Fusion or Pocket Informant on the PPC. Little things like that you'll notice.

Syncing is also somewhat different, although it shouldn't take you to long to adjust. I use Outlook and have never had a problem syncing, although I don't take full advantage of all the fields in say Outlook Contacts which don't always translate over to the Palm. I also miss the ease at which you could 'explore' your pda files and move things around without the need for special software.

At the time the 4355 was the best pda I've ever owned, and I still like it a lot, enough to actually hold on to is as I typically ebay my old stuff. However I have really enjoyed the 650 and the felxibility it provides. Obvious things like conectivity wherever I go, and the one handed operation is fantastic. I still use my 4355 some on my wi-fi network and I always get frustrated now by the fact that I have to use the stylis for so much.

If you have specific questions let me know as I know software and hardware pretty well on both sides of the fence. The fact that your reading around here is probably the one biggest thing that will help make your 650 enjoyable. The resources here are fantastic and have provided me with a solution for almost every issue I've come accross. Good Luck.