1.    #1  
    I use outlook for all of my appointments and wirelessly sync my Treo 650. I travel across time zones and was wondering if there is a way to have my phone automatically change the appoint times to match the local time? I live on the east coast and everything that goes in is set for that time. If I travel to central time I would want the appointment to shift one hour. Is it possible to have my Treo automatically adjust for the time zone?
    Hi Hectorvera,

I use a product called BigTimePro to update the time and time zone of the Palm. Perhaps that would help you?

-S
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. I look at this but, I'm looking for something that will automatically update my appointments when my phone time updates to a different time zone. Any suggestions?
    I don't know of any programs that will adjust your appointments based on time zone. I travel a lot, so when I make an appointment, I make it in the LOCAL time of the zone I'm in. Then I set Prefs>>Date & Time to "Adjust to local time if available". When I change time zones, I'm then automatically in the right place at the right time.
    On the Treo . . .What does the "Time Zone" setting under "Set Time" for an appointment do?? Does it work in conjunction with the "Set Location" setting under "Date & Time"? This might be what you are looking for. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by hectorvera
    I use outlook for all of my appointments and wirelessly sync my Treo 650. I travel across time zones and was wondering if there is a way to have my phone automatically change the appoint times to match the local time? I live on the east coast and everything that goes in is set for that time. If I travel to central time I would want the appointment to shift one hour. Is it possible to have my Treo automatically adjust for the time zone?
    You can have timed events on your Treo shift for time zones when using Outlook for sync, but there are a couple of tricks to it. There's also a small caveat if you use a 3rd party organizer such as Agendus (like me) that does not support events based on time zones. If you do use a 3rd party organizer, the instructions below will ONLY work if the organizer links its timed events to the Treo's default Calendar program; eg., Agendus.

Assuming your Treo has the following settings, set them as shown below.
    Prefs> Date & Time - Enable Local Network Time
    - Location = Your home loc - Edit & create if not shown
    - Set the correct time for your home location

Calendar> Options> Prefs: Check "New events use time zones"
    (See note below about events already set)

On your desktop/laptop PC, click the Outlook Conduit icon in your system tray and select Custom (or open the Palm Desktop app and click Hotsync on the menu, then Custom). For the Calendar (Outlook), it should read "Synchronize the files". Highlight this line and click Change. In the pop up window, click "Settings". The Settings window will display. Check the box at the bottom of the Settings window that reads "Assign time zones on my PalmOne device for all new appointments created in Outlook". Click OK, then OK in the next window, then "Done" to close the conduit settings.

Turn your phone off, then turn it back on.

Your Treo is now set to adjust NEW events to the correct time zone, but as mentioned earlier there are some caveats which are listed below. Make sure Outlook on your PC is set to the correct home location time zone; eg., if you live in EDT, set Outlook to this time zone.

1. When you set a timed event in Outlook, set the time for your default (home location) regardless of the event location; eg., if your home location is EDT and you have a meeting at 10:00 am CDT, set the meeting time for 11:00 am. Don't fret, this can be adjusted later.

2. If you set a timed event on your Treo before entering it into Outlook, make sure you use the default Calendar program to enter the event even if you use a 3rd party organizer. Before setting the time for the event, select the proper location (You can the edit the location list if it doesn't meet your needs). Set the time for event. The time selection list will display the time zone for the location selected.

3. Sync your Treo with your desktop/laptop PC

The timed event you set in Outlook will display on your Treo at the time entered for it in Outlook based on your home location time zone; ie, they will be set at the the same time. On your Treo, the default Calendar program will show the event name at the time entered in Outlook followed by a shortened time display with the time zone; eg., 12:00 pm time - Meeting with Joe (12 pm EDT).

If you set a timed event on your Treo for another time zone prior to synchronizing, it will now display adjusted to your home location time zone, but in parentheses next to the meeting subject it will show the correct time for the event's time zone. If you have a 3rd party organizer that links to the Treo's Calendar program it will display the event at the adjusted time without the notation. In Outlook, this event will display at a time adjusted to your home location as well, but Outlook does not indicate the real time (time zone) for the event.

If you want Outlook to display the correct times for a period within another time zone, you will need to use the Calendar options and temporarily set the time zone forward or backward to the meetings' time zone. Your meeting times will adjust immediately.

When you travel to the new time zone for the meeting(s), your Treo will automatically update your clock and "location" in Prefs to the new time zone AND adjust the meeting times to the correct time for the time zone.

If you use a laptop for Outlook and you take it with you, you should adjust Outlook's Calendar time zone to the zone you are in so your meetings will display at the correct time.

At this point, your Treo's timed events and Outlook's timed events will be in sync and display the correct event times assuming you took your laptop and have adjusted the time zone.

Caveat:
    1. If you sync your Treo and laptop after arriving in the new time zone, the sync may create an artificial confliction error. It will react to the fact that the times were changed within Outlook because you adjusted the time zone. The conduit will resolve any conflict based on the Settings for the Calendar conduit. I leave mine set as "Handheld overwrites desktop". In almost every case, there is no real error and times are not changed. Real conflicts can occur if, for example, you travel across the International Date Line.

Note on previously entered events prior to making Treo changes above:
    For any event you previously set, you will need to edit the event in the Treo's Calendar program and select a location for it as well as reset the time using the correct time zone.

Because of how all this works, I usually always try to set my timed events on my Treo first and let Outlook pick up the events when I sync. With this methodology, my timed events on the Treo will always display the correct time for the event next to the adjusted time in the default Calendar program regardless of the time zone I travel to. For example, if I set an event while at home on my Treo for an event in CDT for next week, then sync, and then travel to LA this week; the event for next week is displayed at PDT while in LA in this week. But the correct time for the meeting based on time zone is also displayed. For this reason I quite often view my "future" timed events in the Treo's Calendar program rather than my Agendus program.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    It appears I have the opposite problem... I do NOT want appointments to time shift. I travel a lot but always enter appointments as local time. If they shift, it will mess me up. Almost missed a flight last week! :-) I am using Outlook 2003 to enter appointments into our office exchange server... I then sync the treo over the air using versamail for email and the standard calendar program on the phone. But they time shift when I land in another time zone and put the original time I entered in parenthesis. I would love to be able to turn this off and just enter things in local time zone wherever I am... thanks