1.    #1  
    All,

So I got my Treo 650 and activated it this morning. I just called into cingular from my work phone and spoke to a CS rep and said the following: "I'd like to add unlimited internet access and a text message package to my plan." He actually *assured* me that MediaNet unlimited was what I needed, and that it would include unlimited browsing without any fees. (Granted I never said "Treo" but I also never said "MediaNet".) Then he also got me a $4.99 text message package. So now I have $19.99 MediaNet, and just want reassurance from other folks here that I shouldn't get charged for data usage.

I looked online at my plan, and MediaNet Unlimited and my Text message package are both listed.
    I did the same thing 3 months ago (Cingular orange, previous phone was an Ericsson T637), and I have not seen any per use charges since. I did call 611 early on and verify that I did not have a "per use" service that might result in those charges, so you might want to do the same if you have not done so already. BTW, the only thing I can't currently do is VPN, but I haven't spent more than 15 minutes fiddling with the settings, so I don't know if it is oerpator errror (ie, me) or some limitation of MediaNet (which others have alleged is the case).
    Cingular Treo 650 with 1.14/1.51 ROW software/firmware
    modified Piel Frama & Innopocket cases
    modified battery cover (with drilled reset hole)
    1 GB Card o' Software & Stuff
    Camera Disabled (to keep the security guards happy)
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase

MediaNet Unlimited gets you unlimited internet for $19.99. No txt messages included.

This will get you a private IP address behind a NAT. Other threads mention that VPN via PPTP will not be possible, but IPSec is possible ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase

MediaNet Unlimited gets you unlimited internet for $19.99. No txt messages included.

This will get you a private IP address behind a NAT. Other threads mention that VPN via PPTP will not be possible, but IPSec is possible ...
    Cingular is one of the less people/info friendly sites I've run across. I just purchased a 650 and would like to know what the difference is between PDA-Connect Unlimited and the MediaNet Ulimited package - can't quite find that comparison on Cingular. Does PDA-Connect include text messaging? What is the least expensive way to add messaging and unlimited data access to my plan? Thanks for any help.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsilver
    Cingular is one of the less people/info friendly sites I've run across. I just purchased a 650 and would like to know what the difference is between PDA-Connect Unlimited and the MediaNet Ulimited package - can't quite find that comparison on Cingular. Does PDA-Connect include text messaging? What is the least expensive way to add messaging and unlimited data access to my plan? Thanks for any help.
    Neither plan includes text messaging. PDAConnect is $39.99 (with a voice plan) and MEdiaNet is $19.99. They both include unlimited data. The difference is that PDAConnect is meant to be used with PDA's (like the Treo, according to Cingular) and MEdiaNet is meant to be used with Phones. If you can get Cingular to activate MEdiaNet for you, then it will work fine with your Treo, however, most Cingular reps won't activate MEdiaNet on a Treo.

Do a search here to find out more.

Brett
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    Neither plan includes text messaging. PDAConnect is $39.99 (with a voice plan) and MEdiaNet is $19.99. They both include unlimited data. The difference is that PDAConnect is meant to be used with PDA's (like the Treo, according to Cingular) and MEdiaNet is meant to be used with Phones. If you can get Cingular to activate MEdiaNet for you, then it will work fine with your Treo, however, most Cingular reps won't activate MEdiaNet on a Treo.

Do a search here to find out more.

Brett
    Thanks Brett - much appreciated. That's what I thought I was picking up on. I'll try to activate MediaNet online and see if they'll let me slide that way. Seems like a silly distinction to make (phones/PDAs), but then again, I'm not a rich mogul as most phone company execs probably are, and am not smart enough to make that decision.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsilver
    Thanks Brett - much appreciated. That's what I thought I was picking up on. I'll try to activate MediaNet online and see if they'll let me slide that way. Seems like a silly distinction to make (phones/PDAs), but then again, I'm not a rich mogul as most phone company execs probably are, and am not smart enough to make that decision.
    They actually have three levels... one for a computer (around $80 a month, I think) the PDA one and the cell phone one. I think the idea is that you'll download a lot more data on a PDA than you would on a regular phone through a WAP browser and that you'll download a lot more data on a computer than you would on a PDA, so even the unlimited plans are priced accordingly.

That said, however, I think their prices are quite high... especially as compared to Sprint.

Brett