1.    #1  
    Anyone of our Treo longtimers here know the origin of the name "treo"?
    Been searching around for a bit today (sh**ty weather today...no business) and was curious. Tried searching for the answer here but couldnt find it. With the impact the line has made, I figured it would be of greek origin. Some previous review inidicate "trio" or merging of three devices, but not sure if that is it.

I have been lurking around the site since I began waiting for the treo 600 to arrive. Now I am a loyal 650 user since the day it arrived. I was actually having drinks with a buddy of mine the other night and I saw another guy with a 650..started up a conversation about the upgrades,software, ect... You should've seen the look on my buddies face, like "WTF???? He says...jeez...why dont you just come right out and ask him for his number....
    Some people just dont understand.. 10 mins later another guy has one and he starts talking to me about his treo...It was hysterical. My friend goes, "i gotta get one of these things just so I dont feel do damned left out!!

I also came about this quote about the 180, and found it amusing
    "Conclusions
    The Treo is a great device that has changed the way I work. There are some limitations, such as the cost and mail function, but overall I like the device. In some ways, I also miss the Blackberry, however, especially for mail. Maybe with the right feedback, Handspring will get together with RIM, share technology, and take a lead in the fully integrated communicator space. Until then, I look forward to the evolution of the Treo and the networks that support it. I also think that, considering how many providers are required to connect me to a single mail message, some consolidation in the industry may be in order, as well.
    Treo = Trio

It's a combo of a Phone, PDA, and a RIM type device... From that the Treo 180 was born!

You never forget your first Treo...

-------------Edit------------------

from http://www.pencomputing.com/palm/pal...-11-14-01.html

"Now I'm going to tell you a story. I was on our road show a year and a half ago, and we were doing our pitch, and at the end of this pitch, a woman comes up to me--this was in New York City. And she pulls me aside, and she puts these three devices on the table in front of me: a Nokia phone, a RIM pager, and a Handspring Visor. She says: 'I love all these things. I use them all day long. But I'm sick and tired of carrying them.' She looked me in the eyes and said, 'Please, can you help me?'

"So, she was an attractive woman, right? And I'm a guy. So I said, 'Yes! What do you want?!' She said, 'Build me one device!' I'd already been thinking about it, and you know, she pushed me over the top."
    Last edited by bigredgpk; 06/20/2005 at 08:20 PM.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  3.    #3  
    what about the treo 90?? before or after 180?
    RIM device aka= pager
    Quote Originally Posted by onmymarc
    what about the treo 90?? before or after 180?
    I believe it went Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 300...

Anyone confirm or deny this?
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  6.    #6  
    thanks big red....good article. I find that historical stuff fascinating ( for lack of the right word)
    I'm pretty sure it was 300 then 90
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    I believe it went Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 300...

Anyone confirm or deny this?
    I think that this is pretty much correct. The only minor alteration I might make is to say that the Treo 270 and the Treo 90 came out at about the same time. I'm relying on my memory though and perhaps the 270 and 90 were announced at the same time but the 270 might have come out a bit before the 90. Anyway, at the very least you have it roughly correct.
    Nov 12, 2001 - Treo 180 is shown to Treo/VisorCentral
    May 27, 2002 - Treo 270 and 90 are released into the wild
    Aug 11, 2002 - Treo 300 is for sale at Handspring.com
    Jun 18, 2003 - Treo 600 is anounced to the world
    Oct 25, 2004 - Treo 650 is anounced....

Anyone out there bet against this?

Timmay
    Last edited by bigredgpk; 06/21/2005 at 10:50 AM.
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Yo bigred, that was cool as hell. Thanks for the little stroll down memory lane. It's always important to know where we came from.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.