Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has any one done this?

The form factor is almost perfect on the treos, but I don't like the anntenna and how it sticks out. Mabey on the treo 1000 will be perfect.

anyways I am just curious about this I know , a may sound silly, but just want your guys opinion on it.
    If you don't want to use the radio functions, then go ahead. Otherwise, I don't think it will work too well.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    It does have an external antenna connection if you get out near the end of the range. I guess if you really wanted it gone it could be done.

the external antenna connection really works great. I get great signal way out in the sticks!!
    Unlocked -1.51---117-CNG
    Handspring Deluxe w/phone->Treo 180->Treo 650
    When I replaced my battery on my 600, I think I noticed a significant change in how many bars of service I had without it installed (there is only a single screw that keeps it there). Plus, as an aside...what would you put there (since there would be about a 1/2 inch square hole there? That would really jack up my form factor).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I got my wife an lg phone without an antenna and it sucked! Traded it in with in 7 days. It would be great if the treo did not have an antenna as long as they could make it work like it had one.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Plus, as an aside...what would you put there (since there would be about a 1/2 inch square hole there?
    What everyone uses when they lose an antenna...a coat hanger.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I personally like the antenna. It makes the treo actually look like a phone, as opposed to every other brick pda/phone that draws wierd looks from people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    What everyone uses when they lose an antenna...a coat hanger.
    Thats what those external antenas look like hooked up to a treo.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Stupid questions 101.......
    Quote Originally Posted by matthoward
    I personally like the antenna. It makes the treo actually look like a phone, as opposed to every other brick pda/phone that draws wierd looks from people.

Same here, very happy. After having to replace the one on the Moto v60 every couple of months, it's good to have one that not only works, but doesn't fall off.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Stupid questions 101.......
    Not really, unless one already knows antenna theory and design rules cold. If one can add an equivalent of a 1/4 wave stub antenna (about 3.5 inches for an 850 MHz carrier signal) by wrapping it around inside the case, it is possible to eliminate the "stubby" antenna. If there is only the termination, the mismatch and negative antenna gain will kill any possibility of receiving a reasonably sized signal. The same principle applies to any antenna, but because of the wavelength size, it is more doable with cell phones than portable FM radios (around 30 inches). It sounds like a lot of work for little gain to me (except for the geek/DIY factor), but it is theoretically possible and is what many manufacturers already do with their designs to eliminate an exterior antenna.
    Cingular Treo 650 with 1.14/1.51 ROW software/firmware
    modified Piel Frama & Innopocket cases
    modified battery cover (with drilled reset hole)
    1 GB Card o' Software & Stuff
    Camera Disabled (to keep the security guards happy)
    Yes, stupid question, period, explanation a waste of time..
    Are you all talking about that little grey stub that I use to pull the phone out of a tight pocket......?
    Thats the one, see how useful !
    Quote Originally Posted by treofox
    Not really, unless one already knows antenna theory and design rules cold. If one can add an equivalent of a 1/4 wave stub antenna (about 3.5 inches for an 850 MHz carrier signal) by wrapping it around inside the case, it is possible to eliminate the "stubby" antenna. If there is only the termination, the mismatch and negative antenna gain will kill any possibility of receiving a reasonably sized signal. The same principle applies to any antenna, but because of the wavelength size, it is more doable with cell phones than portable FM radios (around 30 inches). It sounds like a lot of work for little gain to me (except for the geek/DIY factor), but it is theoretically possible and is what many manufacturers already do with their designs to eliminate an exterior antenna.
    :yawn:

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Yeah, and those little bumpy things below the screen!

Of course, you could remove the antennae, run a loop around your neck, to increase reception, rad levels and make a convenient way to have your phone always with you !
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Yes, stupid question, period, explanation a waste of time..
    Funny-I thought a forum was a place to ask questions, but I guess even the questions have to pass some secret screening process. Please impart your wisdom so we don't fall into the abyss of ignorance again.
    Cingular Treo 650 with 1.14/1.51 ROW software/firmware
    modified Piel Frama & Innopocket cases
    modified battery cover (with drilled reset hole)
    1 GB Card o' Software & Stuff
    Camera Disabled (to keep the security guards happy)
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I like the idea of an antenna like the one on the MPX220. It ran horizontal along the top instead of vertical.
    Last edited by jlczl; 06/23/2005 at 05:50 PM.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    As long as we are being stupid, I would like an antenna like my XM radio has. This way I could sit in the middle of my steel frame building and run the 50 foot wire to the window. Also make the wire sticky so I can run it along the wall so no one will trip over it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast