Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by treofox
    Funny-I thought a forum was a place to ask questions, but I guess even the questions have to pass some secret screening process. Please impart your wisdom so we don't fall into the abyss of ignorance again.
    It has nothing to do with a "secret screening process". Maybe dlbrummels is a bit harsh in his reply, but overall, what he is saying is true.

The question asked is essentially whether or not the antenna can be removed without impacting the device. If the answer to that questione were yes, why would PalmONE have included the antenna in the first place? Decoration?

If the question is can it be replaced with a different antenna, well, a couple of options were given, none of which are very appealing either.

Where does that leave us? With a question being asked for which the answer is pretty obvious, even withour being an RF expert.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    my experieince has been that the reception gets worse everytime you get a smaller phone or smaller antenna (or built in). Give me back my first motorola with treo functionality, battery life included and I'll be happy.
    The stupid question is the one never asked. If you don't ask, you will never know. Forums are designed for people to ask questions of things they don't know or want to know more about. Ligthen up everyone, if you don't have a valid response for a question, pass it by and leave it to be answered by those who do have something to offer. Others have thought about this question and will see it it asked and will read the post. They shouldn't have to read posts that offer nothing valid to the question.

I have seen some custom modification to Palm OS devices over the years to make your jaw drop. Just because palmOne made it one way does not rule out that it could not be done better. Maybe Radio Shaft (yes, shaft not shack) has something that could have worked. I personally hardly even notice the antenna sitting there most of the time. The one thing that I do notice is that there no access to the reset hole and that battery door is real difficult to open at times.
    Last edited by godschoice; 06/29/2005 at 12:37 AM.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    The stupid question is the one never asked. If you ask, you will never know.
    Huh?

Thanks for the lecture. Next time, preach to yourself, since you're the only one who wants to hear YOU speak.
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    The stupid question is the one never asked. If you don't ask, you will never know. Forums are designed for people to ask questions of things they don't know or want to know more about. Ligthen up everyone, if you don't have a valid response for a question, pass it by and leave it to be answered by those who do have something to offer. Others have thought about this question and will see it it asked and will read the post. They shouldn't have to read posts that offer nothing valid to the question.

I have seen some custom modification to Palm OS devices over the years to make your jaw drop. Just because palmOne made it one way does not rule out that it could not be done better. Maybe Radio Shaft (yes, shaft not shack) has something that could have worked. I personally hardly even notice the antenna sitting there most of the time. The one thing that I do notice is that there no access to the reset hole and that battery door is real difficult to open at times.
    I agree with most of what you have said. People do seem to want to push the 'sarcastic' button a little too quickly but its the nature of a public forum. Try to look past the replies that dont seem to add anything to the discussion.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

First of all... EVERYONE NEEDS TO CHILL!

IMO, this is a legitimate question because in fact it has been done in the past with previous generation Treos. For all the old-timer Treonauts here, you will recall that there was alot of discussion about mods that replaced the antenna on Treo 180/270/300 gen models with aftermarket stubs like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $are$ $no$ $aftermarket$ $antenna$ $stubs$ $like$ $this$ $for$ $the$ $Treo$ $600$/$650$...$yet$. $I$ $think$ $it$ $may$ $be$ $possible$, $but$ $the$ $feasability$ $may$ $be$ $limited$ $by$ $reception$ $concerns$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    sheesh man...

This is exactly the kind of things that made me stop coming to Treocentral.

A few months since my last visit, and the first post I read contains FLAMING...

PS: Kudos to gfunk for the peacekeeping around here.
  8. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    The question asked is essentially whether or not the antenna can be removed without impacting the device. If the answer to that questione were yes, why would PalmONE have included the antenna in the first place? Decoration?
    I had a Motorola Startac for a few years and I thought the reason for the antenna was so they could get $30 every few months when it broke off every time you accidentally dropped it. I'd leave it for a while because I was p****d off and it seemed to work OK, but not great, without it.
    Haven't tried removing the antenna on my Treo (OK, haven't dropped it hard enough) but seems like a reasonable question to me.
    Replacing the antenna is one thing. If there were a good option for that, I'd probably look into it too. Removing the antenna completely is another matter. Your reception would be abysmal. If that works for you, go for it...though you might just want to buy a PDA, as it will be equally (if not more) functional. My comment stands. If the antenna could simply be removed without impacting reception, it would not have been included in the first place. Don't forget, PalmONE actually had to pay for the antenna to be there....seeing how they cut costs in other areas (ie MEMORY), i'd think they would be the first ones to remove it if that were a simple option.

That's my 2 cents...flame me all you want.
    - Albert Einstein
    So, where is this external antenna connection. I use my Treo in my office and would reallly like to be able to put an antenna near the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichNY
    So, where is this external antenna connection.
    Remove the rubber cap from the back of the treo...
    - Albert Einstein
    On the back of the Treo is a large and a small rubber plug. The larger of the two covers the antenna. I'm not sure what type of connector it is. A pin or small paper clip is a good tool to "grab" the plug.
    I see what looks like a connector, thx. Now... what kind of connector is this, is there an approved (or unapproved) antenna can fit this?
    I guess I should stop picking my nose with that little gray "antenna" you guys are talking about, now that I know its use.....
    Last edited by nickf126; 07/05/2005 at 09:39 PM.
    One of the major reasons the Treo doesn't sell well in Europe/Asia (excluding Japan/Korea) is the Antenna. As far as they're concerned, the presence of an antenna signifies that the hardware is not cutting edge.

Nokia phones have been antenna-less for several years now and they have excellent reception. In fact the Nokia 3650,6230 probably have the best reception of any phone out there, so I don't buy the argument that an antenna is required for decent reception.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12