1.    #1  
    I spent 1/2 hr on the phone today with verizon cust service and tech support fighting over getting charged for 1MB of data usage that I never used. When I bought my 650's (one for me one for my wife). I knew we'd never use the wireless web or get it now, so I opted for the pay as you go data plan with the unlimited text/picture messaging option. I got my first bill and got charged for over 1MB of data usage on each phone. I know that neither my wife or I ever access the wireless web (she doesn't even know how) and I have not set up e-mail on the treo. It turns out that anytime you send or receive a SMS/MMS message, the treo connects to the data network and stays connected for an unspecified amt of time. It turns out that over the course of one month approximately 1MB of data is transmitted. All of this is just pinging of the servers. Verizon's solution is that everytime you send or receive a sms/mms you have to go into the network pref menu and manually disconnect from the network. I advised them that this was unacceptable and that they need to figure out how much data is transferred monthly from just the pinging and credit that to my account. I will be more then happy to pay for what I use, but refuse to pay for their stupid system. They responded that this is a PDA first and a phone second and most people use it for e-mail and have unlimited data plans. I refuse to double my monthly service fees just to cover their stupid pinging.

Does anyone have similar experiences or solutions???
    Generally poor customer service is why I jumped from Verizon to T-Mobile. I just couldn't stand to deal with Verizon for what should have been minor billing or service issues. Add to that the fact that during the last power outage in NYC I couldn't get a Verizon signal but all my friends with T-Mobile did get their calls through. Maybe that was just lack of towers getting power in downtown Manhatten at the time, but that did it for me. My wife still has Verizon for her phone (LG VX7000) but she leaves dealing with them to me .
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    In my opinion Pix messages should not be charged as Data (pay per KB) either. You are already paying for Pix messages with your Pix plan or 25 cents per Pix if you don't have a Pix plan.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Last time I spoke with VZW they tried to feed me the same line that most people that have the PDA phones have the unlimited data plan. BS if you ask me.

It was interesting how far up the chain I got when I made this phone call and how little they could help. I called VZW CS and selected the menu option for pix, data support. This person transferred me to WDTS I think he called it, I'm guessing Wireles Data Tech Support (could be wrong). This person at WDTS apparently was talking to Picture Messenging engineers in regards to my situation... being on the Pay Per KB plan but Data usage accumulating when sending Pix messages. It seemed like they weren't aware that I'd be billed 25 cents per Pix PLUS per KB for the Pix. In the end they believed it but there wasn't anything they could do about it. Except they did credit me a few $ for now. But they're going to lose money on me in the future since I don't plan to use Pix messaging anymore and just plan on getting the Pix off the 650 when I sync it with my computer.

By the way, look for the Palm software called Battery Doctor. It will disconnect the data connection after your screen turns off on the 650.
    Last edited by fareal; 06/20/2005 at 04:11 PM.