Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Am I wrong in suspecting that any next gen branded Treo from a wireless carrier will have Wifi disabled even if it's available on an unbranded Palm version? Also, is it possible that the carriers will exert a lot of pressure on Palm not to add Wifi at all, even on an unbranded unlocked version?

CNG certainly did this with BT DUN. They have stated to make available an update to enable DUN, but I doubt it ever happens now that they see what is happening with the success of their data plan sales overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrackBerry
    Do you know if improved stability (of the whole device - sw, fw, hardware) is likely? If it's just a 650 with better phone funcitons, (sound, radio, noise cancelling mic etc) more reliability and EV-DO it's worth the wait & my $. I'll vote for EV-DO so that the device isn't obsolete soon after I buy it. I can't imagine they won't spec more memory, it's so cheap in volume that P1 can't be dumb enough to skimp on that again.
    As I understand it, the form factor is pretty much dialed in (can't make the keyboard or screen smaller) and the software is in something like the sixth generation (VisorPhone --> Treo 180 --> 270 --> 300 --> 600 --> 650) so the UI is pretty dialed in. It's now about stability, upping performance (battery life, memory, processor, connectivity methods and speeds), durability, and delivering the customization for the carriers. The points made here about EV-DO standing in for WiFi and the potential rejection of WiFi by carriers (presumably because they want the data traffic) are completely valid. I have reservations about latency in ED-VO and if the real-world speed is in the same league as 802.11g, but hopefully those are non-issues. I suspect the next Treos won't be revolutionary marvels, but the most mature smartphone ever made, and that's a pretty good thing!

~O
    If the next treo has evdo (and I happen to be in that market) will that enable me to surf the web/stream shoutcast and take calls? (versus having people go to voicemail??)

That is why wifi would be great! Plus having more memory, faster proc, and all the other things you guys mentioned.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

i agree. Either give me dual radio phone so I dont miss call, or give me Wi-Fi.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    The Register is reporting that the new iPaq 6515 pda/phone, a blatant ripoff of the Treo, is going on sale soon in Asia. Seems a bit pricey, but the article does note that prices will vary from region to region. I would love to do a side-by-side comparison of the two.
    Hey... more power to them if they can build a better mousetrap. This should instead be a friggin wake-up call to Palm, hopefully waking them from their apparent slumber and moving on new products and seriously enhancing older ones. I'm still stunned the 650 didn't get a memory boost from the 600 days... particularly in light of the impacts from the new memory model.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    The Register is reporting that the new iPaq 6515 pda/phone, a blatant ripoff of the Treo, is going on sale soon in Asia. Seems a bit pricey, but the article does note that prices will vary from region to region. I would love to do a side-by-side comparison of the two.
    well here's a pretty damning review...

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/6013.html
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I think Palm will continue to let the phone carriers to decide if they want wifi on the phone. The cell carriers are too powerful in this country.

Look at Nokia, how large a marketshare they have in the world market and how little they sell in the U.S. If you don't listen to the big carriers (cingular/verizon), it just won't fly in this country.

Palm can sell the Treo cheaper than the PPC because they can achieve the economic of scale in the biggest market.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk

Yup, looks mediocre at best. My Treo 650 with the 1.13 firmware update is looking sweeter and sweeter. So far more stability, which is 90% of what I was looking for in the update. I would have considered getting one of the iPaqs if there were no updates forthcoming from Pa1mOne, and if the price was down around the $250 mark, maybe $300 tops. Just as a toy/comparison device. At the price point they're talking about ($800+ ) I would expect near perfection.
    Prototype Claim: An acquaintance who owns a cell phone store franchise says he has a prototype of this next Treo...he only mentioned the built-in WiFi and says it will be released in 3-6 months.

I plan on sniffing it out once I'm back in town...
    I'm a little surprized that this latest firmware release from PalmOne didn't include support for their WiFi cards. I expect WiFi to be built into the next Treo, but for now we should have the support for cards PalmOne themselves make. Hell, even some Palm Tungsten and Zire models get this. Perhaps they feel it's redundant on the Treo with email over the air, but judging by the number of forum posts about it I'd say their customer base is very interested.

Any time we do or do not get a feature my first thought is that the money dictates it. Maybe PalmOne feels the Treo is selling well enough right now that they don't need to put the resources into adding WiFi. Nobody else's smart phones do WiFi so why should they? Maybe I'm just too cynical. Then again, maybe not.
    (Someone else has brought this up..) but I think that the wifi issue is something that the carriers want to control.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Comparison Picture Treo 650/HP 6515

Probably old news...but I thought it'd be nice to see what they look like against each other. The 6515 just doesn't look as "pretty" as the treo. I think I'll just wait until my VZW contract runs out and get a Treo anyway. HP's getting closer, but isn't quite there yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk

I would actually like to know what you found so "damning" about the review.

Anyone who reads it with a copy of the Palm Treo 650 specs in hand, would have to think twice before criticizing....but you apparently didn't.

So, specifically, what is so "damning" about the review?
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    Yup, looks mediocre at best....
    Oh, really!

Please, can you explain the ways in which it is "mediocre"?

Ideally, with specific comparison to the Treo 650?

Thanks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12