Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, All:

Long, but to the point...

I've read a slew of threads and still haven't seen anything that shoves me in the right direction, so I invite organizational and time management freaks to help give me a push...

I want simplicity. I don't intend to have a lot of crazy apps, I have one card game (and that's enough for me), and will use my iPod (my honey just gave me for our 1-year anniversary) for my music.

Simply put, I bought the Treo to use as a portable "office." I LOVE my Franklin Covey Planner (the binder and pages) and can't see myself ever giving it up. I've tried Plan Plus for Outlook and found it cumbersome, as I get more than 1,000 emails daily (and about 1/3 to 1/2 are legitimate).

EMAIL
    Tried Versamail - works fine, but crashes the Treo too much, thus, it sucks. I don't need to synch to Outlook if it's something that's going to crash it even more. It would be cool to write my sent items to the SENT Outlook folder, but that is ALL I would need. If that's not feasible, I can live with it.

I have a dozen email accounts and I need only check them manually - my clients have other means to contact me via "emergency" systems. My purpose of using email on Treo is so I don't have to be tied to a clock when I'm out - I can check the email for anything needing attention while at the mall.

SCHEDULING
    I've looked at Agendus. I've read that Plan Plus software for the Treo (Palm OS) is horrible. I want simplicity. Actually, Palm's built in software is fine for me, but it would be great if I could click one button and get a task list and daily/weekly schedule on the screen at once. I will only put urgent or things I need to do when I'm out on this - because I use my paper planner to log EVERYTHING - all my phone calls, etc.

PHONE NOTES
    Is there a way, or an app that will let me tie notes to an actual phone call? A client might call and they will need to be billed for some things, so it would be great if I could jot a not in the Treo while on the phone then export that out to my desktop or via some software so I'll remember to bill them for the call.

And a TIP needed:
    I use Voice Signal (absolutely love it) but is there a way that when I hold the side button it will automatically "wake up" the Treo.Right now I have to hit end, then the center button, then hold the side button - which defeats the purpose of not having to look at the phone while I'm driving.

TIA

Pamela
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    SCHEDULING
    I've looked at Agendus. I've read that Plan Plus software for the Treo (Palm OS) is horrible. I want simplicity. Actually, Palm's built in software is fine for me, but it would be great if I could click one button and get a task list and daily/weekly schedule on the screen at once. I will only put urgent or things I need to do when I'm out on this - because I use my paper planner to log EVERYTHING - all my phone calls, etc.

PHONE NOTES
    Is there a way, or an app that will let me tie notes to an actual phone call? A client might call and they will need to be billed for some things, so it would be great if I could jot a not in the Treo while on the phone then export that out to my desktop or via some software so I'll remember to bill them for the call.
    My use of Agendus has proven do both of these tasks quite nicely. Play around with the different views available. I've never been much of a 'Today' person...I use the 'List' view in Agendus as my default views...I can easily see all appts, phone calls, tasks on one screen.
    I second the Agendus vote. Continue to play with it. Its not as daunting once you spend some time navigating through its features and capabilities. And if you don't want "a lot of crazy apps" then Agendus will do much of what you want.

Other simple and clean scheduling applications I would recommend include:

2day (but will allow you to see what's coming in the week) http://www.shsh.com/beta/

MonthPlanner http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=52120, and

Time Manager Pad (TMP) http://www.lilredspider.com/TMP/index.html

And because you have the T650 and its high-res (I'm very jealous by the way) I would recommend you explore the coming application "Life@Hand" http://www.lifeathand.com/
    It looks interesting but I'm not sure of any added utility over Agendus. Recommended you explore this app because you want fewer applications to accomplish more things.

Can't help with email. Don't know your setup or what you want to accomplish. I use Snappermail Standard for my pop3 email accounts and it works great. Good luck
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    Email: Snappermail makes it easy to burn through dozens or hundreds of emails quickly.

Scheduling: 2day seems to do exactly what you want.

Phone notes: a combination of Daynotez and Comet (www.natara.com) will let you handle phone calls the way you want to. If you are billing phone calls, this combination is the way to go.

Voicesignal/waking phone up: This is a limitation of the Treo, not the application. There is no way to wake up the Treo using the side button.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for all your comments thus far. Keep them coming!

Pamela
    Thanks for all your comments thus far. Keep them coming!

Pamela
    Again, after a lot of trial an error:

email: Snappermail
    calendar/to-do/contacts/notes: Agendus

For note during a phone call, I just use the memo function; I assign a hot button (ex. option-email) to memos, then I can type them in while I am on the call. Not super elegant, but it works well; plus, I can just copy and paste from within agendus to specific to-dos, etc.
    Agendus - more powerful than standard contacts/to do/schedule apps
    2Day - quick view, easy to move to other applications
    TakePhone - best look up features for finding contacts
    Snappermail - allows me to control which accounts I auto check and which I manually check.

The combination of these apps works great for me in accomplishing the same type of work load you describe.
    Take a look at DateBook 5 as well. Pimlicosoftware
    I am about to be in a position where all my downloads from Sprint will be free (switching to a demo account) and I would like very much to take advantage of it. A few programs I think sound interesting have been mentioned in this thread, but when I tried them before there were...issues.
    1. Agendus- Really wanted this one to work, but it did some funky stuff with my SMS. Namely, I couldn't retrieve them. I suppose if one wanted to research the damn program, its obvious got a lot of great features, but it was a tad beyond me.
    2. TAKEphONE. Everyone keeps raving about its lookup features, and I often find myself having trouble doing that, but I really didn't like the interface (specifically the fact that you couldn't change the speed dials from within it, and the built in app doesn't match up), and on top of that it gave me headaches galore when I tried to register 2day after downloading an unregistered TAKEphONE, a glitch Shimon said he was working on.
    3. Some of these other programs sound interesting too. I'll let you all know.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Mediasi - have you explored any of these recommendations further? Conclusions?
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    I DL'd the TMP program, http://www.lilredspider.com/TMP/index.html .

That looked very promising for what I'd like it to do. I was disappointed at the fact that when you bring up the side-by-side Monthly calendar display, it doesn't populate anything in regards to what days you have appt's on being bolded out (a la Outlook). That's a downer for me!!! Any other tips???
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    mediasi
    Do youself a favor & dump the Franklin Planner. Free yourself from that thing.
    I used one for ten years until the Palmpilot came out.
    I also used used the Franklin Planner Software for ten years and dumped it for the Palm Desktop software. Simplicity.
    So now I use Palm Desktop w/TMP which is great.
    LOL
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    mediasi
    Don't know about your office situation - but we use GoodLink on our Treos. That gives you complete Outlook capability (email, calendar, contacts, notes, tasks) without having multiple applications on your Treo or having to synchronize with your PC regularly (it synchronizes with your corporate server over the air). It has been terrific for us - I rarely have to sync my T600 with my PC. Also, since all your emails reside on your server, you don't have to worry about using valuable memory on your Treo.

Bad news (always a catch!) is that you cannot use Voice Signal if you install GoodLink.
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    Mediasi - have you explored any of these recommendations further? Conclusions?
    Beantown:

Yes, I've been studying all the listed programs. I have not yet downloaded trials (I try to finish the research first so I don't run the problem of causing any problems). It really likes like SnapperMail may be the best. I read up also on IntelliSynch but I haven't exactly grasped just what it does (why do so many sites just assume you know what a product does?).

I should have a decision by the weekend.

Pamela
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    mediasi
    Do youself a favor & dump the Franklin Planner. Free yourself from that thing.
    I used one for ten years until the Palmpilot came out.
    I also used used the Franklin Planner Software for ten years and dumped it for the Palm Desktop software. Simplicity.
    So now I use Palm Desktop w/TMP which is great.
    LOL
    Well, that WON'T happen. I'm one of those folks who must write things down - if I don't write it with a pen, it's like it's not real. But take note, I use the planner in the office and document *everything* I work on - all phone calls, all billable time, notes, etc. I fill at least both pages per day every day. I don't plan to put ALL this on the Treo - I mainly just want to note my calls while I'm not in the office and setup alerts and meeting schedules - for records and reminders.

I do development work on the web, and take notes throughout the entire day.

Pamela
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    mediasi
    Don't know about your office situation - but we use GoodLink...
    Bad news (always a catch!) is that you cannot use Voice Signal if you install GoodLink.
    Yep, thought about it, but do use VoiceSignal which is the first and primary app I installed - I can't live without the voice dialing so I had to weigh the pros and cons - and VoiceSignal won on that one.

Pamela
    Well if you must use voice signal, then double check that any contact app you use is a Palm database app (i.e. avoid non-Palm contact databases such as GoodLink, Seven , Beyond contacts etc.)

Good luck!
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  18.    #18  
    Thanks - I make the majority of outgoing calls from the Treo when I'm out of the office, that's why I need it.
  19.    #19  
    Hey - anyone use Agendus Mail with Agendus? Any feedback on that? Or can the Agendus Pro launch another email app (like Snapper?).

Pamela
    Hey - anyone use Agendus Mail with Agendus? Any feedback on that? Or can the Agendus Pro launch another email app (like Snapper?).

Pamela
    Agendus mail is buggy. Agendus Pro does launch snapper
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast