1.    #1  
    I wonder what the chances are of having built-in GPS on the Treo 7xx. I just saw a commercial last night for some phone, maybe it was a Nextel phone I can't remember, that was GPS enabled. So I started thinking how frigidly cool that would be if the T7xx had that built-in. What do you people think are the possibilities of that happening?
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    slim to none
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    no doubt would be redefine what it means to have it all in one. the idea is great, but I don't think it would be practical - cost - wise.
    a garmin alone is a few hundred dollars, so to implement such a component into a treo would not only force palm to bulk up the treo, but it would send the price of the phone up at least $300. so you'd go from $499 or $599 to $1000 at least, which would make it a device for a small niche of the market.
    super idea, just not feasible for palm to seriously consider yet..
    at least that's just my opinion.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    You can get a bluetooth GPS for your Treo650. And it would work with ANY Palm OS device or laptop with bluetooth! So you can have it now.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    I just saw the GPS service on a Nextel Blackberry using an internal GPS receiver ...... it was slick.
    I thought that the 650 alread had GPS just that it's not enabled for anything else than 911 call position.

-Peder-
    Quote Originally Posted by pederb
    I thought that the 650 alread had GPS
    It's not a true GPS... it relies on info obtained from the local cell towers, not the dedicated GPS satellites.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    It's not a true GPS... it relies on info obtained from the local cell towers, not the dedicated GPS satellites.
    That is also how Nextel's "GPS" directions thing works as well.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I am pretty sure Nextels GPS does not show you a map, It more like "Make a left here.....Make a right at the nest stip sign...."ect ect
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Yes, that is how Nextel's works, and it actually doesn't work too bad. Since the Treo is GPS enabled, is there a reason it could not do what Nextel's does except display it on a map? BTW....What makes a GPS enabled phone different from a non-GPS enabled phone? And is that area of the phone hackable to get the data out?

Would be a cool app to do away with having to use an external GPS system connected to the Treo. Just thoughts!
    Nextel's GPS map thing is more of a remotely controlled thing. The phone contacts a remote computer, witch recieves the GPS location, and then calculates the directions, then sends them to your phone. The maps are all stored remotely on Nextell's system. So each carrior would have to provide the same thing on their end.

The GPS is NOT accesable on the phone's end. The exact phone location is calculated based on the GPS location of the cell towers and where they calculate your phone is at in relation to the towers. So the cell system can access that info, but your phone can not.