Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all Treo 650 lovers,
    I am intrigued by the opportunity of getting a Treo 650. I have been a long time PDA users, with too many devices from both camps. Therefore I consider myself fairly neutral in choosing OS.

However, I am getting tired of carrying 2 devices, and am considering using all-in-one solution. I have a chance to briefly use Imate Jam, which is quite powerful, the size is nice, and can multi-task to certain point.

However, I cannot make up my mind off this Treo 650. I have been lurking around for a long time, and am aware (I think) the pros and cons of both PPC and Palm smartphone.

Pls allow me to share briefly what I learn and what questions I have, hope if there are people who use to use a PPC smartphone (like Imate Jam) then move on to Palm, pls tell me why:

(1) Imate Jam has received overall quite positive response either from power users or novices. Treo 650 has kind of mixed response.
    (2) I am aware of Treo 650 memory issue, but it seems newest firmware solves this (stability is another issue)
    (3) I think both camps offer excellent software choices, so number of selection is not an argument
    (4) Both offer replaceable battery and I charge them almost everyday, so it doesn't concern me
    (5) Both Jam and Treo do not offer Wifi built-in, but both can use SD Wifi card
    (6) I really like the Today's screen of PPC (showing PIM stuff everytime you turn on the machine), I wonder if there is anything in Palm camp
    (7) Software selection is more critical in Treo 650 case as there are many "offending" apps that can cause lock-up/reset. Jam seems to have advantage of this. To all the people saying PPC is not stable, need to update their information
    (8) Build quality of Jam is excellent (mainly metal). How about the Treo 650?

There are some software related questions:
    (1) If LauncherX or ZLauncher can run apps from SD card, what is the advantage of PowerRun?
    (2) I search but not many people comment on voice dialing (maybe I miss them?). I learn there are two programs, pls point to me where I can find review/comments and recommendation. In PPC camp Microsoft Voice Command is the definite choice for now.

Possible reasons for me to switch to Treo:
    (1) Simplier interface
    (2) More of a phone than a PDA?
    (3) Works right out of the box with Macintosh

Reasons to stay with PPC/Jam:
    (1) Powerful multimedia resources
    (2) More ram
    (3) It seems to me more developers commit to this platform? Has "more future"?

Sorry guys you are hearing me thinking out loud. I want to make sense of my thinking and want some backups to justify my desire to give Treo 650 a try. If I have missed some important consideration pls feel free to chime in. If this newbie question bores you to death, pls move on.

Thank you.
    It sounds like you have been thinking about it a long time. I cannot help you with the comparison, since I have been a Palm user since 1996 and have no PPC or JAM experience.

I will ask: Does the PPC/Jam have as many websites dedicated to a large, loyal and passionate following as the Treo? (TreoCentral.com, myTreo.net, Treonauts.com, et cetera . . . )

And forums such as this?

In my opinion, we are the best user group in the world. (Large, friendly, helpful, opinionated, passionate, never satisfied, pushing the envelope, calling a spade a spade, et cetera. . . . . .)

I'm not sure on the stability issue, if they can't get Windows to be stable on a desktop -- how are they going to do it for a PDA or Smartphone?

Love my Treo 650 and will have to be by absolutely wow'd by a PPC to give up my investment in Palm software and knowledge.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/25/2005 at 05:07 PM.
    Great reply Perry!!!

I could have not said it any better myself. As for my decision to go with the Treo650 as opposed to a PPC device, the reasons are almost identical to Perry. I have lots of experience with Palm OS (since very first device), but I did a huge amount of research, and work for a company who allows us choice, so I got opinions and information from both camps.

As for what pushed me over the edge? I would have to say this forum, and the passionate kind of user that the 650 seems to have. It sounds silly, but what an unbelieveable resource of users and information!!!

Good luck with your decision, magicbbird!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  4.    #4  
    Really appreciate your inputs, MattM2G and Perry, thanks for your encouragement.

As for your info, yes, PPC camp has quite a few passionate forums and websites. However, Treo is quite unique, and there are not too many smartphone based on Palm, except from Treo. Therefore it might be "easier" to form such a group under one brand.

Yes, I have been giving lots of thoughts, doing lots of research (sometimes I feel too much), and now probably time to make decision. Maybe I need someone to give me a push...hehe.

Thanks again. If anyone wants to share your experience, pls feel free.
    why should you switch to treo?.

I give you one solid good reason.

treo's form factor. the built in keyboard. you have no idea how useful it is until you have it.
  6.    #6  
    Good point.

Anyone please help me out:
    (1) Running apps from SD, what can PowerRun do where LauncherX or ZLauncher cannot?
    (2) Today+ or 2day can act as PPC's today screen (showing PIM data)?
    (3) Recommended voice dialing app?

Thank you.
    There is an EXCELLENT application called Key Suite @ www.chapura.com that provides you with a complete use of Outlook functionality on your Treo that exceeds what is even synchable from a PPC. This app has a nice Today view summary of your PIM data. Check it out and maybe it will help with your decision.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Quote Originally Posted by magicbbird
    Possible reasons for me to switch to Treo:
    (1) Simplier interface
    (2) More of a phone than a PDA?
    (3) Works right out of the box with Macintosh
    Although I have a Mac at home I don't use it with my Treo, so I cannot comment on #3, but I've read much that substantiates it. No. 1 is likely true compared to many other smartphone devices. However, I think #2 may be little off. My Treo is as much a phone as it is a PDA. It feels as comfortable to use on a phone call as my Moto Razr does and that's saying a lot. Couple that with the vast amount of available software available for it and it's an almost unbeatable combination.

Name a PDA/Phone device that can handle all that the Treo does and feels as comfortable to use as a Treo. It's downright hard to do. And many will say you can't do it. I don't have enough experience with alternatives to judge fairly, but I'm almost a believer that you cannot find one.

Add to that the excellent support and advice you get for FREE from other kindred users on forums like TreoCentral and it becomes an unbeatable choice.

I'm biased, of course, but why shouldn't I be?
    Last edited by v3treonut; 05/26/2005 at 12:02 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Thank you so much for your response.

I don't use Outlook anymore, so I am more interest in syncing with my Mac built-in apps. But thanks for the pointer on KeySuite.

Thanks also for sheding light on the PDA/phone usage.

I am still wondering what are the differences/adv./disadv. of using PowerRun against other launcher apps where all can pull programs from SD. I try to read the description but it sounds like they are very similar to me. Your advise would help alot.
    Thank you so much for your response.

I don't use Outlook anymore, so I am more interest in syncing with my Mac built-in apps. But thanks for the pointer on KeySuite.

Thanks also for sheding light on the PDA/phone usage.

I am still wondering what are the differences/adv./disadv. of using PowerRun against other launcher apps where all can pull programs from SD. I try to read the description but it sounds like they are very similar to me. Your advise would help alot.
    I'm probably not the best to make reliable comments on PoweRun and Launcher X. I did try both prior to trying zLauncher, but I fell immediately for ZLauncher and have not regretted it. It handles my apps stored on my 1 GB SD card with finesse and has an extremely customizable interface along with very useful tools. Some may complain it's interface is daunting, but it will likely grow on you quickly once you learn to work with it and it's not that hard to do.

I'm sure you will see posts with comparisons on other good launch programs as well.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for your quick response. This forum alone may very well be THE reason for anyone switching to Treo!

My only other question is recommendation on voice dialing software. Thanks in advance if anyone of you has any experience on this one.
    I use the Voice Dial software. It recognizes the commands very well, if you do not add extra words. (Call . . . gtwo. . . Home) Do not add "at" before home for example. If the software does not recognize a single match for your command, it comes back with two or three alternatives it walks thru. I find it very useful.

I believe you have a 14 day free trial on the complete product, after that, you have to purchase the name recognition piece -- leaving just the numerical request portion (Call 555 5555) as free.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtwo
    I use the Voice Dial software. It recognizes the commands very well, if you do not add extra words. (Call . . . gtwo. . . Home) Do not add "at" before home for example. If the software does not recognize a single match for your command, it comes back with two or three alternatives it walks thru. I find it very useful.
    I'll second Perry's vote for Voice Dial. I use it and find it an excellent voice dial app. It does not require any training. I've read some complaints about it, but I've not experienced any problems with it. I believe most people's experience with it is quite positive.

It does consume a good bit of memory, about 1 mb or so. It has an automatic and manual contact update mode for when you make contact info changes. I do not set it to update its reading of contact information automatically. I do it manually.
  14.    #14  
    Thank you so much on your take about voice dialing.
    Just curious, which launcher app(s) you guys are using. I have used ZLauncher before so I know it is powerful. But after I read how "sensitive" Treo can be to software, I wonder if some launcher works better with Treo than others, where situation may be different than on regular Palm device. Thanks again.
    I do not use a launcher -- just the Treo categories and the programs on my SD card.
  16.    #16  
    Thank you to all who have shared your insights. This surely educates me alot.
    I think all the softwares sold via Treo store are "Treo-friendly", right, can I assume that?
    Thank you to all who have shared your insights. This surely educates me alot.
    I think all the softwares sold via Treo store are "Treo-friendly", right, can I assume that?

Hi Magicbbird! I would not assume that. I do not believe TreoCentral does any "fitness" testing of the software it sells. I would imagine that if they hear that a software does not work at all- they would pull it, but I think we are still operating under the "buyer beware" philosophy here.

Best case scenario -- add new 3rd party software one at a time and give it a week of use before adding the next. If things start happening -- you know who the culprit is, probably.

Many users on TreCentral are power users and are trying lots of stuff and pushing the envelope. (Need I mention Shadowmites hacked ROM for the Sprint Treo.) So do not let the posts here threaten you. Several polls conducted on this site indicate over 90% love their Treos. This is a site for problem resolution, thus the overwhelming number of posts here are about problems. Few people come on line to say "Hey, everything is great!"

I use the basic apps and, VersaMail , Docs to Go, Pocket Quicken, MegaClock, Palm eReader Pro, Handmark Express, RealPlayer, MobileTS, TreoGuard, and Voice Dial and have none of the resetting and other issues mentioned throughout these threads.

Good Luck with your decision. As my signature line says: My treo 650 has been my best and favorite PDA yet, which also happens to be a great phone.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/27/2005 at 11:47 AM.
    I just wanted to comment on two of your initial observations.

(5) Both Jam and Treo do not offer Wifi built-in, but both can use SD Wifi card
    I don't know about the Jam, but the Treo wifi is not officially supported. It haven't kept up-to-date on the various threads here that talk about enabling it, but it does seem to be a bit of work-around.

(6) I really like the Today's screen of PPC (showing PIM stuff everytime you turn on the machine), I wonder if there is anything in Palm camp
    The new Calendar in the 650 has a "today" view that show upcoming calendar events, todos and # of new emails. It looks pretty good - it even allows you to select on of your pictures to be the background.
  19.    #19  
    Thank you for additional information. This surely helps my decsion-making.

Know what? I am already studying Shadowmite's site and custom Rom...hehe
    i wouldn't recommend it at this point because the treo a several problems with it and mine is currently rebooting constantly one after the other and it's really getting on my nerves. The sound quality isn't very good, along with the reception, and mine is still rebooting at this point. but aside from that it's a really good phone i think you should just wait till they come up with the upgrades!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast