Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 94
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Groove was doing distributed secure "grid" stuff years ago...iTunes is nothing new.

    Yes, iTunes DRM is client side; when you download a song, DRM for your ID is applied within the iTunes client, not at the server (or service, if you like that term...but is it definitely not grid...I don't even think you understand the term).
    Huh... well maybe you are right, I guess Apple will let you use that song on as many computers as you want. Yup, it must just be client side actions. You are right.
    Chhh... what ever. Mike, it is you who do not understand distributed computing. I mean, how do you think Apple limits iTMS songs to 5 computers... fairy dust. No, its a security mechanism that is accomplished in shared computing environments, otherwise known as grid computing.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Processor has more than doubled in 2 years, and memory speeds and disk capacity (and speeds) have increased as well.

    Are you even on the same planet as us?
    Evidently not... on my planet Moore's Law is NOT holding up. Read
    THIS if you don't believe me... or you can just Google it yourself.
  2. #62  
    Archie,
    That upenn site isn't even accurate...geeez.

    And processor capabilities are not judged by Mhz alone...compare historic (pick your tool) benchmarks and you will see...

    Also, look at:
    www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1818276,00.asp

    Which shows it's happening even faster...

    You ought to know by now that factual inaccuracies aren't going to cut it here...
  3. #63  
    And Archie, you can also take a seat at the back of the class.

    A definition of grid computing, as you have no idea what it means:

    [www.webopedia] A form of networking. Unlike conventional networks that focus on communication among devices, grid computing harnesses unused processing cycles of all computers in a network for solving problems too intensive for any stand-alone machine.

    (ex. SETI @ Home).

    iTunes has nothing to do with that sort of architecture.


    Thanks for playing...we have some rice-a-roni as a parting gift...
  4. #64  
    Oh, and in regards to pixie dust your comment:

    "No, its (sic) a security mechanism that is accomplished in shared computing environments, otherwise known as grid computing."

    These two things have nothing to do with each other.

    Methink ye smoking the pixie dust.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Archie,
    That upenn site isn't even accurate...geeez.

    And processor capabilities are not judged by Mhz alone...compare historic (pick your tool) benchmarks and you will see...
    I guess every magazine that I have read over the last year is inaccurate then.

    Intel's CEO said, just 2 weeks ago at the "D: All Things Digital", that their dual-core processor only buys them an extra 10-20% of processing power. As a Mac user (up against the Intel megahertz myths for a decade), I have to tell you I understand the frustrations with people's ignorance in understanding processor power. I have been preaching this since 1995.

    I am assuming that you probably Googled for information (I did for a reference to post here) and found that university site to be the very first one. I looked at 2 others and they all said the exact same thing. If you do not want to believe a universities website, that is fine, but please, my fellow Treo Central reader, don't accuse me of posting inaccuracies, when they don't line up with what you want to see.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Also, look at:
    www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1818276,00.asp

    Which shows it's happening even faster...

    You ought to know by now that factual inaccuracies aren't going to cut it here...
    You're kidding, right?
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    And Archie, you can also take a seat at the back of the class.

    A definition of grid computing, as you have no idea what it means:

    [www.webopedia] A form of networking. Unlike conventional networks that focus on communication among devices, grid computing harnesses unused processing cycles of all computers in a network for solving problems too intensive for any stand-alone machine.

    (ex. SETI @ Home).

    iTunes has nothing to do with that sort of architecture.


    Thanks for playing...we have some rice-a-roni as a parting gift...
    You refuse to listen to what I say. No surprise here.

    I keep saying "iTunes Music Store(iTMS)" and you keep saying iTunes. I am fully aware that you do not need any sort of network to simply run the iTunes application. I am talking about the iTunes Music Store.

    Your definition only includes one aspect of Grid computing (a nice one that Apple has certainly enabled and popularized with the release of XGrid).

    Maybe this will be clear to you soon enough though.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Oh, and in regards to pixie dust your comment:

    "No, its (sic) a security mechanism that is accomplished in shared computing environments, otherwise known as grid computing."

    These two things have nothing to do with each other.

    Methink ye smoking the pixie dust.
    Again...

    wrong!
  8. #68  
    The only reason I have continued to reply to your postings is out of fear that someone else may be reading them and pick up wrong information.

    At this point, it seems as though my thinking was misguided. I now have to believe that no one else is reading this except for you.
  9. #69  
    No...I'm reading this for pure entertainment....similar to me listening to that quack Randi Rhodes...now that's is funny stuff...funny in that aspect that some people actually think that way (scary, but funny...talk about someone who just won't let go).

    BTW...watch out Microsoft...you just may have some competition again...we may finally have a commerical choice of OSs available for installation on our home pcs soon (Linux is too Open source, developmental, and geeky to count...don't flame me for this I enjoy Linux almost as much as I enjoy Mac, but I would not consider the current Linux desktop as mainstream...meaning I wouldn't recommend that my mom have a Linux desktop, IYKWIM)

    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...te/apple_chips
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I guess every magazine that I have read over the last year is inaccurate then.

    Intel's CEO said, just 2 weeks ago at the "D: All Things Digital", that their dual-core processor only buys them an extra 10-20% of processing power. As a Mac user (up against the Intel megahertz myths for a decade), I have to tell you I understand the frustrations with people's ignorance in understanding processor power. I have been preaching this since 1995.

    I am assuming that you probably Googled for information (I did for a reference to post here) and found that university site to be the very first one. I looked at 2 others and they all said the exact same thing. If you do not want to believe a universities website, that is fine, but please, my fellow Treo Central reader, don't accuse me of posting inaccuracies, when they don't line up with what you want to see.

    You're kidding, right?

    Look, it's inaccurate, no matter where you find it. Believe what you want, but the upenn stuff is not up to date nor fully accurate (on the dates).

    You posted a link that is not accurate. This is fact. That was all I was saying.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    You refuse to listen to what I say. No surprise here.

    I keep saying "iTunes Music Store(iTMS)" and you keep saying iTunes. I am fully aware that you do not need any sort of network to simply run the iTunes application. I am talking about the iTunes Music Store.

    Your definition only includes one aspect of Grid computing (a nice one that Apple has certainly enabled and popularized with the release of XGrid).

    Maybe this will be clear to you soon enough though.
    Again, I am listening. You just aren't making sense (no surprise there, either).

    Okay, I will move off iTunes client and go back to your first quote:

    "Yeah, the iTunes Music Store system is a secure network-based distribution of media"

    BUT THAT IS NOT GRID COMPUTING, as it is known be the standard definition. I am not saying they have some distributed components, etc. but so what? So do tons of web apps out there. There is nothing magical about ITMS.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Again...

    wrong!

    Again, when you are faced with facts, you ignore it. The TC reader can decide for themselves.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    The only reason I have continued to reply to your postings is out of fear that someone else may be reading them and pick up wrong information.

    At this point, it seems as though my thinking was misguided. I now have to believe that no one else is reading this except for you.
    You are responding because you like propogating your viewpoint (and it's inaccuracies). Nothing more or less than that. Typical of Apple cheerleaders who bash any contratrian viewpoint.

    I respond because your inaccuracies are just that - inaccurate. Whether or not any TCer gets anything from it is secondary.

    As the saying goes, "don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuzco
    No...I'm reading this for pure entertainment....similar to me listening to that quack Randi Rhodes...now that's is funny stuff...funny in that aspect that some people actually think that way (scary, but funny...talk about someone who just won't let go).

    BTW...watch out Microsoft...you just may have some competition again...we may finally have a commerical choice of OSs available for installation on our home pcs soon (Linux is too Open source, developmental, and geeky to count...don't flame me for this I enjoy Linux almost as much as I enjoy Mac, but I would not consider the current Linux desktop as mainstream...meaning I wouldn't recommend that my mom have a Linux desktop, IYKWIM)

    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...te/apple_chips

    Glad you are entertained....it's fun, and educational ;-)

    As for "Aptel" inside, I think this is a good move by Apple.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    As for "Aptel" inside, I think this is a good move by Apple.
    Kinda throws a wrench into the Mac fanboys' argument that PowerPCs are superior to Intel/AMD chips, huh?
    I'm back!
  16. #76  
    I hope when you say fan boy, you are not referring to me. Anyway, in reality, what it does do is throw a wrench into Mike's argument that Apple is a hardware company. Along with many of his other bablings he continues to spew forth.

    Read this Mike:

    Jobs also discussed a new technology called Rosetta, that he described as "a dynamic binary translator." It runs existing PowerPC applications on the Intel platform, he said. Jobs described Rosetta as "lightweight," and said "it's nothing like Classic."
  17. #77  
    Personally I consider Apple to be far worse than Microsoft in terms of monopolistic behavior and practices. Apple is the complete antithesis of 'open,' everything they do is proprietary.

    Microsoft employed distateful strategies to force hardware makers to bundle their software, but Apple took it to the next level with their treatment of the Mac clone vendors. When the clone vendors were making better Apples than Apple, they simply revoked all their licenses. Apple makes SCO look like angels. They continue to behave this way with the iTunes Fairplay DRM codec. At least Microsoft licenses out their technology.

    Given a choice between the 2, I'd take the lesser or two evils: MSFT.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    Personally I consider Apple to be far worse than Microsoft in terms of monopolistic behavior and practices. Apple is the complete antithesis of 'open,' everything they do is proprietary.

    Microsoft employed distateful strategies to force hardware makers to bundle their software, but Apple took it to the next level with their treatment of the Mac clone vendors. When the clone vendors were making better Apples than Apple, they simply revoked all their licenses. Apple makes SCO look like angels. They continue to behave this way with the iTunes Fairplay DRM codec. At least Microsoft licenses out their technology.

    Given a choice between the 2, I'd take the lesser or two evils: MSFT.
    Hahahaha! Whatever Mik... I mean Schwartz.

    Do you mean proprietary like these open source technologies: CF, MySQL, Darwin, Apache, BSD, gcc, Perl, php, Python, Ruby, tcl, expect, bash, ksh, tcsh, and zsh...


    Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about.

    And Apple's treatment of the clone vendors was very good. It was they who took advantage of Apple. That is why it stopped.

    Personally, I'm glad you have chosen to use Microsoft. I hope you continue to enjoy what they offer.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I hope when you say fan boy, you are not referring to me.
    I wasn't, but if I was....?
    I'm back!
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Hahahaha! Whatever Mik... I mean Schwartz.

    Do you mean proprietary like these open source technologies: CF, MySQL, Darwin, Apache, BSD, gcc, Perl, php, Python, Ruby, tcl, expect, bash, ksh, tcsh, and zsh...


    Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about.

    And Apple's treatment of the clone vendors was very good. It was they who took advantage of Apple. That is why it stopped.

    Personally, I'm glad you have chosen to use Microsoft. I hope you continue to enjoy what they offer.
    You mean "use and abuse?" You might want to speak with the KHTML developers who helped Apple with Safari. The problem here is that Apple uses the BSD license which although technically "open source" allows them to fork/make their changes and not contribute it back to the community. GPL is much more stringent.

    Apple treated the clone vendors very well? I guess it depends on how you define "well?"

    You might want to check out these articles:
    - http://news.com.com/Apple+gets+tough...html?tag=st.rn
    - http://news.com.com/Cloners+bypass+A...html?tag=st.rn
    - http://www.seyboldreports.com/SRIP/s...2/IP020213.HTM

    I can furnish more if you want me to.

    All I said is that of the 2 evils I would pick Microsoft, no need to get your panties in a bunch. Personally I use Debian.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions