Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by v3treonut
    I myself also abhor Mircrosoft's market dominance in the PC and applications market. Unfortunately, they are well on their way to doing it again with digital content as well as any form of multimedia data streaming. They have been preparing for this for several years, but certainly not in a very cohesive manner. But now they are getting their act together and it doesn't look good. I hate to say it, but they will own this new emerging technology. I'd like to see someone upset their applecart, but I just don't see any major player doing it.

Bill Gates has personally invested billions of dollars in digital and multimedia content and he has exclusive rights to "ALL" of it. Companies like Sony and Universal have even sold such content to him and now regret it.

Now they are trying to strong arm, in a manner, content providers to standardize on Win Media and DRM, especially digital music forms and it's working.
    I know this may sound like a long shot right now, but I really think Apple will end up being the biggest player in the media market when it comes to technology companies. I would not underestimate QuickTime and Apple's server technologies. Plus its new truly scalular capabilities. Heck, I bet we see Apple visibly(noticably) in the lead inside of 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I know this may sound like a long shot right now, but I really think Apple will end up being the biggest player in the media market when it comes to technology companies. I would not underestimate QuickTime and Apple's server technologies. Plus its new truly scalular capabilities. Heck, I bet we see Apple visibly(noticably) in the lead inside of 6 months.
    I wish I could share your enthusiasm for Apple, but I can't. Apple made a brilliant move when they introduced the ipod along with iTunes and did their homework beforehand. Although the ipod is mp3 compatible, Apple gambled that users would flock to to a source that provided relatively inexpensive music even if the music was proprietary. And it worked. Another thing that helped make it work was the inclusion of a Win compatible version of iTunes; another brilliant move.

But the problem now is MS is catching up super fast and circling the wagons, to coin a cliche, relative to digital content and its distribution.

Magneto (Win Mobile 5.0) is coming out the door as the only mobile OS that is able to natively support high capacity mini-hard drives and WAN connections like EDGE and EV-DO and guess who supplies and is building their networks on that technology. Answer: Every major wireless carrier.

What you will have soon are devices with a ton of storage capability (4gb is only a starting point) that can easily connect to the Internet at high speeds for voice, digital media downloading, plus audio and video downloading and streaming (playing on the device) using an OS with built in support for optimization. And don't forget the alliances being forged by MS for standardizing the play media (software) and DRM for all this media. Who else has all this to such a degree but MS?

Many people say "Who wants video and/or streaming video on a handheld?" "Who wants streaming audio on a handheld?" "Who wants this on their PCs?" The short answer is "gobs of people" and they will pay quite handsomely for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    It looks like a large number of Treo enthusiasts would rather see PalmOne drift into obscurity than deliver a Windows Mobile Treo. Let's think about it, Garnet is on its last legs, currently its held together by glue and duct tape to support the latest technologies. So presumably the next MAJOR release of the treo will have to use a next-generation OS. Assuming that the next MAJOR release is, say 6-12 months away, what are their OS choices:
    1. Garnet 5.4.x + yet more hacks (feasible within timeframe, but would be really creaky)
    2. Cobalt 6.1 (feasible within timeframe but would entail risk being the guinea pig. Currently no 3rd party software available)
    3. Symbian (Would need at least 12mths to develop their own UI on top of kernel. No 3rd party software choices since it would be new platform)
    4. Windows Mobile 5.0 aka Magneto (would require around 3-6mths customizations to work with 320x320 resolution, decent collection of 3rd party software)
    5. Lineo or some other embedded Linux (depending on the distro chosen should take about 6-12mths to get it customized for Treo infrastructure. Limited 3rd party software)

If PalmOne goes with say, Symbian, that would mean that the next release of the Treo is at least 18mths away. Sales of the 650 will still be strong for the remainder of 2005 but by 2006 would start to slide as it gets long in the tooth. Meanwhile RIM continues its ascent, Nokia floods the market with yet more Series 60 devices, and Windows Mobile make more inroads with devices such as the HP 6500, HTC Wizard (I-Mate JAM with keyboard). Where does that leave PalmOne? It'll still be around, but increasingly marginalized. Is that what you Treo enthusiasts really want to see?? I want PalmOne to run whatever OS allows them to sell more devices so that they have $$ to plow back into R&D and develop the next great form factor!

Amen brother schwartz.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    You know, I try to have a little faith in Apple.

Then I compared maxed out G4 Powerbook to a maxed out HP

HP:$2,500
    Apple: $3,550

A thousand bucks more! For what?

The only differences are:

- Different memory card; you could argue one is better than the other, but it's basically app dependent. Both have same memory
    - HP has a more powerful CPU, but again arguable because of different architectures.
    - You get a DVD with DL support with the HP (very cool)
    - You get BT 2.0 (not just 1.x) with the Apple

Bottom line, for a majority of folks, it's just plain foolish to drop an extra grand.

I thought Apple had gotten price competitive, but they are still over 30% more costly.

(sigh)
    That would be Palm purist in my case, Schwartz! They have their own OS!! This is like those people that say Apple should release Windows on their hardware so they can get bigger market share! They have their OWN OS!

What is wrong with people? You would rather have NO COMPETITION and NO CHOICE in a supposed free market. You want to force Palm to use Windows just because it happens to be the biggest and richest OS, meaning less choice once AGAIN! So the smaller and newer OS have some limitations. After they develop themselves more, I'm sure they will eventually be fully functional. Everyone has to start somewhere! I wouldn't appreciate being forced to use Windows on every device, which is what's going to happen if every manufacturer follows your advice and caves in to MS when they look like they're falling behind. That's NOT a free market! I hope MS pays you well for your loyalty to ONE OS!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    You know, I try to have a little faith in Apple.

Then I compared maxed out G4 Powerbook to a maxed out HP

HP:$2,500
    Apple: $3,550

A thousand bucks more! For what?

The only differences are:

- Different memory card; you could argue one is better than the other, but it's basically app dependent. Both have same memory
    - HP has a more powerful CPU, but again arguable because of different architectures.
    - You get a DVD with DL support with the HP (very cool)
    - You get BT 2.0 (not just 1.x) with the Apple

Bottom line, for a majority of folks, it's just plain foolish to drop an extra grand.

I thought Apple had gotten price competitive, but they are still over 30% more costly.

(sigh)
    HP build quality is a bit questionable! I have 2 that went a little south within a year! They're still usable, but you can just tell how cheaply they were built. I'd rather buy a maxed out Sony or Toshiba, maybe even a Dell! And those brands maxed out ARE as expensive as the Powerbook!

Nice try, attempting to plug the Windows OS AGAIN when it really a matter of QUALITY that makes the HP cheaper. And it does show it's CHEAPER allright!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I never said Palm should stop selling PalmOS devices, I said it should add more OS choices to devices. I don't want to be forced to use PalmOS with my Treo (where's the choice in that?), in an ideal world I'd like to be able to choose my OS. Arguably that means more choice, not less.

Practically however, this is what I'd like Palm to do:

1. Continue selling Garnet based treos to cater to the loyalists
    2. Sell a version of Treo with Windows Mobile to capture the business market
    3. Invest the returns from increased sales into developing a Linux based OS - I have a feeling Sharp is looking to offload one!

Ultimately it boils down to my opinion that the Treo is a wonderful hardware device with an almost perfect form factor. It has so much potential, but is being held back by an ancient OS. I have no religious zeal for any particular OS, I could care less if it was OS/2, QNX, Minix, or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    That would be Palm purist in my case, Schwartz! They have their own OS!! This is like those people that say Apple should release Windows on their hardware so they can get bigger market share! They have their OWN OS!

What is wrong with people? You would rather have NO COMPETITION and NO CHOICE in a supposed free market. You want to force Palm to use Windows just because it happens to be the biggest and richest OS, meaning less choice once AGAIN! So the smaller and newer OS have some limitations. After they develop themselves more, I'm sure they will eventually be fully functional. Everyone has to start somewhere! I wouldn't appreciate being forced to use Windows on every device, which is what's going to happen if every manufacturer follows your advice and caves in to MS when they look like they're falling behind. That's NOT a free market! I hope MS pays you well for your loyalty to ONE OS!
    A Treo is a PALM device, from them and for them. PALM with their own PALM OS(thank goodness they had the sense to reunite!), what do they need someone else's for? Why should they sell someone else's OS? Maybe they do need some new blood in there to re-develop the OS, but they have THEIR OWN. Why do they have to sell out, which is what they'd be doing offering someone else's OS? What's the purpose of calling themsleves Palm anymore then if they sell WM? The name "Palm" is often associated with the Palm OS. Their unique identity will be destroyed if they start selling WM. If I want a WM, I'll just get one of the MANY other makers!

If someone wants Treo form factor with WM, HP6500 or 6700!

You Go, Girl!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    What's the purpose of calling themsleves Palm anymore then if they sell WM? The name "Palm" is often associated with the Palm OS. Their unique identity will be destroyed if they start selling WM. If I want a WM, I'll just get one of the MANY other makers!
    You'd be an ideal candidate to just stand in the grand entryway of Palm's corporate offices and recite your words again. Hopefully, you would also have several thousand more with you spilling out into the street!
    Me thinks the Lady (Treo) protests too much :-)

And Apple build quality is better? They have zero competiton. Their equipment is hardly rock solid from a hardware perspective.

HP has been surprising good. IBM is good. Dell is horrible. Sony is okay, andToshiba is good. This is based on experience with thousands of laptops.

I would never buy a Dell, unless I needed the next day repair service. They just break too much and have too many issues.

HP is making some very good machines these day, eps. in terms of price performance.
    I guess the fundamental disconnect is that I view Palm as a business whereas others view Palm as a religion. If the rationale for sticking with PalmOS is doctrinal purity, then no amount of reason will suffice.

Perhaps the solution is, in the spirit of "everything old is new again," to resuscitate the Handspring brand and allow Handspring to be the purveyor of alternative OS devices. The church of Palm will continue catering to the faithful, and the Handspring branch can cater to us heretics and heathen.

In any case, I wish PalmOne/Palm well, hopefully they will continue to release innovative smartphones.
    once, again, brother schwartz preaches the truth.

it's a business, people!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Me thinks the Lady (Treo) protests too much :-)

And Apple build quality is better? They have zero competiton. Their equipment is hardly rock solid from a hardware perspective.

HP has been surprising good. IBM is good. Dell is horrible. Sony is okay, andToshiba is good. This is based on experience with thousands of laptops.

I would never buy a Dell, unless I needed the next day repair service. They just break too much and have too many issues.

HP is making some very good machines these day, eps. in terms of price performance.
    Maybe I should send you my cheap plastic HPs that overheat for no good reason, with the keys and touchpad acting up with heavier usage. Sony and Toshiba the next time I buy a laptop. The only good HPs are possibly the BIG 17" with the full keyboard, but I even saw a cheaply built, overheating model of one of those too! HP quality went down the toilet with Fiorina(sp?) on board, I'm sorry to say! I had a Omnibook, none of the same problems, NONE!

I guess the fundamental disconnect is that I view Palm as a business whereas others view Palm as a religion. If the rationale for sticking with PalmOS is doctrinal purity, then no amount of reason will suffice.

Perhaps the solution is, in the spirit of "everything old is new again," to resuscitate the Handspring brand and allow Handspring to be the purveyor of alternative OS devices. The church of Palm will continue catering to the faithful, and the Handspring branch can cater to us heretics and heathen.

In any case, I wish PalmOne/Palm well, hopefully they will continue to release innovative smartphones.
    Palm has it's own identity, plain and simple. You cannot get around that.

If I wanted Windows on all my devices, I'd do it BY CHOICE. If all device makers feel FORCED to sell Windows and that ends up being all we have to choose from, NOT GOOD. Yes it's all about business that screws the consumer in the end!

There are many OSs and they all have their own niche in my opinion. I don't want Windows on all my devices, either. I don't think the most of the world does either. IMHO, here's my list of where each OS deserves to be:
    PDAs: PalmOS
    Home Computers: Apple Mac
    Work Computers: MS Windows
    Servers: MS Windows and Linux
    If this were a business, the hardware makers will soon all be releasing Microsoft OS on their computers. A very similar thing happened 20 years ago with Microsoft DOS and Windows. Today Microsoft has been convicted by a court of being a monopoly. You can argue that it is a monopoly or not, but the government has already decided that Microsoft is a monopoly. They destroyed Netscape Navigator's browser market share, they destroyed their competition's OS market share (Apple, OS/2, and many others in the past), and now they're trying to corner the market on the PDA OS.

Even if making a Windows-based Treo is good for PalmOne because it helps their business. It is bad for the consumer over the LONG-TERM, yeah, many of us will like using a Windows-based Treo but what happens 10-20 years down the road? When all of the smartphones or PDAs are based on Windows, the consumer will have less choice. Microsoft will stop innovating once they have the dominant market share.

Back in the 1980s-early 1990s, Microsoft innovated many features for MS-DOS and MS Windows 3.1. But as we move further along the timeline, Windows became buggier and more bloated, Windows 98 and Windows ME. Only when Windows XP came out that the government realized that Microsoft is using anti-competitive behavior. The consumers have been complaining about Microsoft for a long time, why is there only 1 OS that runs on 98% of all home PCs? This shouldn't happen at all.

I believe there should be competition and we should decide which OS to put on our devices. Or for there to be at least 2 competing companies so that we'll continue to reap the lower prices and innovation.

I seriously feel that if PalmOne were to act completely like a business, they would marginalize themselves in the future as just another Microsoft PDA-maker like Samsung, HP, Dell, etc. Yes, they will make short-term revenues or profit but they are also risk losing their special niche in the market. This doesn't give choice to the consumer and puts more cash in Bill Gate's pocket.

Apple decided to sell their own OS with their hardware. It is too early for Palm to give in to Microsoft. Apple has fought back since the 1980s, they still haven't sold a computer with Windows. Palm has the majority market share right now but it is eroding for the first time last year. They still have majority stake, why give up now? It is ridiculous to give up when you're the market leader currently.

Schwartz said that PalmOne can use the profits from a Windows-based Treo to fund their R&D for a future OS that is developed in-house. However, once you make an agreement with Microsoft, you're going to be dependent on revenue from Microsoft-based devices. If Microsoft denies to license their OS or PalmOne wants to STOP making Microsoft-based devices, they're going to lose that stream of revenue. I'd rather not depend on my competition for my survival. It's like asking your enemy to help out when you're going bankrupt. Your enemy will definitely pull strings and put pressure on your company.

Since when have you heard Intel licensing AMD's factories to make their processors? They will never do it. It is too risky to put your company's livelyhood on your competition's back. Microsoft is ACTIVELY working to destroy PalmOne and PalmSource. If PalmOne has a license with PalmSource to use the PalmOS until 2009, why would Microsoft take a risk and let PalmSource survive until that time. There best bet is to destroy PalmSource and to do that they would have to get rid of all of PalmSource's licensees--PalmOne being one of them. Also, what does PalmOne mean to Microsoft if they use the Windows-based OS? They mean nothing to Microsoft because Microsoft has many other licensees like Samsung, HP, Dell, Toshiba, Sharp, etc. It wouldn't hurt Microsoft at all if PalmOne or PalmSource died tomorrow.

Sleeping in bed with the enemy is not a good idea.
    Apple should just by PalmOne and PalmSource outright.

Apple already has experience in both hand helds and layering a UI on top of Linux.

Wouldn't it be great to see a multimedia smartphone (Tripod) powered by PalmOS X

Now THAT's Synergy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Millerboy
    I'd rather not depend on my competition for my survival. It's like asking your enemy to help out when you're going bankrupt. Your enemy will definitely pull strings and put pressure on your company.

Sleeping in bed with the enemy is not a good idea.
    Hmm... apparently Apple, your marquee example, thought it was a good idea.

See Microsoft to invest $150million in Apple

I'd better step aside now, before I get excommunicated by the keepers of the flame. Now I understand why Palm users get ridiculed by people like Russell Beattie .
    Hmm... apparently Apple, your marquee example, thought it was a good idea.

See Microsoft to invest $150million in Apple
    This was indeed a very curious move by Microsoft...perhaps a settlement deal...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast