Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What gives? We're heading for the half way mark on 2005, and no Treo 7XX rumors yet. If we're going to see a new device in second half of 2006, then the rumors should be flying about the Treo 7XX by now. At this rate, we'll be thoroughly bored with our 650's soon, with no gadget lust in site.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Maybe security is better these days at PalmOne.

2nd half of 2006??? (A new breed of dinosaurs could sprout, live and go extinct by then.)

My bet is for a new Sprint Treo (7xx) by December 2005, with WiFi and 64mb of internal memory and a file system that will be able to handle a 4GB SD card. (Could I dream for 128mb?)

(If we get Wifi, could we then be on the Internet and the phone at the same time !?!)
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/24/2005 at 09:17 AM.
    It's hard to develop future products when you are still working out which OS to use. Up until today, development has been proceeding with Microsoft in mind. As of today though it's anyone's guess what will happen and when. Everythin gis unknown at this point. Except that we do know that PalmOne has just TODAY renewed it's license to use the Palm operating system. 'Course, as reported at CNN, PalmOne has also purchased PalmSource, so the two companies are now one again.

Will that make a difference? Got me.
    Seemed silly to split them in the first place. You are "selling" usability in a PDA and a TREO (I refuse to call it a smartphone). And that means hardware developers and software developers need to work hand in glove . . . . to deliver a state of the art experience.

I think the buy back and one boss is a great move for the road ahead.
    palm haven't actually purchased palmsource, but the rights to the brand palm.

As for choice of operating system I would hope the treo 7xx will be palm os 5.4 based, maybe with a windows release later?

on the register they have an article the last line of which reads

Interestingly, the company also confirmed it will be releasing new products in October, all of which will be branded Palm rather than PalmOne

this implies to me a strong possiblity of a wifi enabled treo 7xx by the end of the year. If they can get wifi and bluetooth working ok in the lifedrive I don't think it wil take much more to get the treo 7xx working ok. Also I think the networks are less worried about wifi now as there are several phones such as pda2k and nokia 9500 with wifi built in.

And to think I have just ordered a treo 650. Its making me wonder if I should cancel grab another 600 as mine is on its last legs and sit it out until the end of the year.
    Hell I am so addicted that I would by a new device every month if they kept getting better!!!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    The next Palm devices will have embedded Linux underneath for the actual OS and Palm applications on top of that.

This will make programming and administrating Palm devices MUCH nicer. Especially if they give acces to the shell on the device itself, and think to include native ssh and terminal emulation. Add wireless support and you have a UNIX/Linux administrators dream machine.

This bit of speculation is based entirely on the announcements about porting Palm apps to Linux and a few recent articles indicating that at least one product is planned.

Its good to have dreams!
    Quote Originally Posted by aal234
    Ahhh, yes you are technically correct. I kinda lumped all that was in my head into one quick sentence to say that PalmSource is basically going away and the company will become inconsequential to users here at TreoCentral because PalmOne is saying we are no longer following your path. They are seperating themselves from PalmSource. Probably also for image sake as well. The company is quite tarnished.

I have said it before but I'll say it again. I believe PalmOne will have a Microsoft product in the near future and then release some sort of new device with an enhanced Palm OS.

they bought those rights -- specifically the right to drop the One from PalmOne -- for $30 million.

http://news.com.com/PalmOne+spends+3...02.html?tag=nl

I have a few letters and vowels available -- I wonder how much they'd be worth to Palm....
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Maybe we'll finally get a Treo running Cobalt.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    ill be willing to bet the treo 7xx will have 64 mb ram ( like to see 128 mb ram though), ev-do, bluetooth 1.2, cobalt 6, and an enhanced keyboard with larger keys. I would think wifi also, but who knows?
    I gotta have more cowbell
  12.    #12  
    ...this implies to me a strong possiblity of a wifi enabled treo 7xx by the end of the year. If they can get wifi and bluetooth working ok in the lifedrive I don't think it wil take much more to get the treo 7xx working ok. Also I think the networks are less worried about wifi now as there are several phones such as pda2k and nokia 9500 with wifi built in.
    No way. With Verizon, Sprint and Cingular still fighting enabling bluetooth DUN on the Treo 650, what makes anyone think they'll enable WiFi so you can conveniently surf at Barnes & Noble without the data eating plans they offer? Besides, unless security is UNBELIEVABLY better, a multi-radio device like this would require FCC approval months in advance (I think if you look at prior track records, anywhere form 6-12 months in ADVANCE of release). I still think we'll be lucky to see anything more than a Treo 650e (64-128mb ram) until fourth quarter 2006.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    Maybe we'll finally get a Treo running Cobalt.
    Another NO WAY. There hasn't even been a successful launch of a Cobalt PDA yet, so why would htey be able to produce a Cobalt Treo?
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    You know, I think I could live without the wi-fi, if they got EVDO speeds up and running. I've already paid for the unlimited data plan, so wi-fi isn't going to save me any money.

I'd like a smaller stylus like the collapsable ones the Clie uses. I standard headphone jack that doesn't require an adapter. Faster processor, like the 416mhz in the Lifedrive. Maybe even the 4 gb like the lifedrive, less the 6 second delays.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman
    You know, I think I could live without the wi-fi, if they got EVDO speeds up and running. I've already paid for the unlimited data plan, so wi-fi isn't going to save me any money.

I'd like a smaller stylus like the collapsable ones the Clie uses. I standard headphone jack that doesn't require an adapter. Faster processor, like the 416mhz in the Lifedrive. Maybe even the 4 gb like the lifedrive, less the 6 second delays.
    I agree...I didnt buy the treo to be a phone and PDA in one. I bought it to be a mobile data machine that already does everything...Therefor, I am already subscribed to the data plan and don't need or even want WIFI. EVDO would be plenty, as it would allow me to stream the high quality internet radio

If it has EVDO, there isn't any real reason to have WIFI on it, since EVDO is pretty much broadband speeds anyway.
    Well, if you want to access local resources on a LAN w/o VPN......
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Plus I am sure that they are going to want to push this device on an international level (were they have plently of room for growth). A lot of GSM carriers on the other side of the pond still charge by kb/mb. I think that leaving wifi out would be a huge mistake-it was on the 650...

I think that the premise of this post is very intersting. A year ago today "Ace" rumors were rampant. On the other hnd this device will be the first generation that will have nothing to do with Handspring. So maybe the annual fall launch (300,600,650) is gone...

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I'm looking for the hard drive like they put into the LifeDrive. Of course it will depend on how much battery life the drive sucks down, but I see Palm heading that way in all their higher-end products.

I don't think Palm wants to abandon Cobalt, but it they go with Linux, and gain stability from Linux, then Cobalt is a gonner. If a product takes too long in development and something bigger and better comes along first, the original product dies on the vine. That's just life in the big city, I think Cobalt is facing this situation right now.

WiFi should definitely be on the next revision. They make other products with WiFi, and they make cards that add WiFi to yet more devices (like the T5), so putting it into one of their flagship products is a no-brainer. Don't forget, they don't give a hoot how you get your internet connection. Palm is not a carrier. Sure, T-Mobile, Cingular, et al, will care how you get your internet. But Palm doesn't. They just want to add features that will sell Treos. And judging by all the forum posts on folks trying to get the T5 WiFi drivers to work, I'd say chances of a WiFi-enabled Treo are about 100%

I think the chances of a new form factor are slim, but still a possibility. I'm thinking wider for a better keyboard and screen. Makes it easier to pack in the WiFi gear I'm so certain will be in the next Treo. More room for memory as well, and maybe even a bigger battery to accomodate the hard drive and power the bigger screen and WiFi. Longer battery life will always be a selling point for laptops and cell phones.

Of course I could be completely wrong on all of this....
    As previously stated by others in other threads:
    The new Palm Mobile Manager LifeDrive has no vibration function due to the MicroDrive, so, I would imagine a MicroDrive in a Treo may be an issue.

I will take the faster processor, a multi tasking OS, 128mb of internal memory and a file system that can read a 4GB SD card for my next Treo. I know this will be a minority opinion -- but with my Sprint data plan -- I really do not need WiFi -- some may - if their businesses have WiFi set up on a large business campus. My Sprint coverage is much grater than WiFi will ever be and with a faster processor and EDVO coming -- I am personally pressed to need WiFi at the moment. Give me the internal memory !!

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/25/2005 at 04:12 PM.
    the treo 700:

- Faster proc.
    - 128MB RAM
    - Cobalt 6.1 or .2
    - BT 1.2
    - WiFi
    - 2MP camera

if not, Treo dead...an MS "treo" will come out in Spring 2006
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast