Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    This is the course things will take. Its exciting for some people to believe otherwise, because change, no matter what kind, is exciting. That does not mean this is the way things will go. In fact, I almost gurantee a Cobalt device will be released before Windows. Will we see Windows Treos? Maybe, but that's a ways off.
    Doom,

I guess "a ways off" is 4 months?

So much for your "guarantee" that a Cobalt device would be released before a Windows one?

Any change you'd like a helping of crow pie?
    The fat lady has not yet sung. . . . . .

It ain't over until its over. . . . . .

I believe. (I shall will this to happen.)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=96915
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Perry,

It's happened.

No uproar. Not even a peep.
    There's an "uproar" of people who believe that Palm Inc. has switched operating systems, and that PalmOS is effectively dead - because they announced a 700w without a 700p.

Their stock is tanking, instead of soaring - because they announced a 700w without a 700p.

They haven't announced a 700p because they don't want to hurt sales of the 650.

I wonder what's going to happen to all those prospective buyers of the 650 who believe that PalmOS is effectively dead. Palm had better start talking up PalmOS...
    I believe the "uproar" has not occurred as people are waiting for the 700p announcement, which I belive will happen.

If the 700w is it and there will be no further POS Treos, I will hold on to my 650 for at least one or two reiterations of the WM Treo. I will not replace my Palm OS software until the upgrade is beyond significant.

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    I wonder what's going to happen to all those prospective buyers of the 650 who believe that PalmOS is effectively dead. Palm had better start talking up PalmOS...
    As a Palm user since the very first one, I'm in the camp that PalmOS may be dead soon. You are right that Palm better show a roadmap with PalmOS soon.

They may release one more phone on PalmOS but I think that will be the end. EVDO will be standard in a couple years and PalmOS won't make it without a significant architecture change.

If I were a Palm developer or had a livelyhood based on the product, I'd demand that Palm start talking up PalmOS with a roadmap immediately. The longer they go w/out some PalmOS talk, they more I'll take hint that PalmOS is about dead.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Lets ask this.. Why would anyone want to upgrade from a T650 to a T700p if they announce no BIG advantage in upgrading (Hardware wise). I mean Im sure no WiFi and lets say 240 x 240 as the 700w. That would leave BT 1.2 and maybe more RAM and Cpu as the front of the pack advantage. I seriously think Palm is going south if it hasnt already as for years they have been BS'n the consumers and not putting the pieces together.

I have since sold my T650 (which i have had since Nov. when they 1st arrived) and now carry around a 6700. Must say its a nice device.
    Quote Originally Posted by damigs
    Lets ask this.. Why would anyone want to upgrade from a T650 to a T700p if they announce no BIG advantage in upgrading (Hardware wise)...

THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT! You see, the WM Treo 700 is NOT targeted to existing Treo 650 users. Why you say? Because Palm already has you!!! You are already their customers. The WM Treo is about EXPANDING and GROWTH, at least according to Palm execs. Palm wants to position the WM treo to enterprise folks who would never even sniff a Treo b/c it wasn't windoze. At least that respect, Palm is right about growth opportunities. The question is how successfull (or not) will the WM Treo 700 be? Will it be even more successfull than the next PalmOS version of the Treo? If so, could Plam justify supporting two different platforms if one is easily much more profitable than the other? Those are all the unknowable questions at this point. Add to that the variables of whether PalmSource acquisition by Access and the ability of PalmSource to deliver on Palm Linux, the possible revitalization of the moribund Cobalt platform, and sustainability of 'frankengarnet' in the interim are all very pertinant...

Anyway, all indications imo point to the fact there will be one more PalmOS gen Treo (at minimum) released by Palm. If I had to guess, it will be spec'd quite similar if not identically to the WM Treo with exception to screen rez obviously. It will probably be released sometime early next year as well, but on a different carrier than Verizon (perhaps Sprint as usual). Beyond that, all bets are off imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Excellent point.. You nailed that.. See Canes fans think alike!!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567