Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    bobcat, that was perfect.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    - Cobalt has been languishing for how long now? A year and a half maybe? If it was so great, P1 would've put it on something by now. The fact that they haven't indicates the opposite, that Cobalt is a disaster of an OS.
    Just because no one has released a Cobalt device, doesn't mean that there is somethign wrong with the OS! There could me many reasons for this including many business and strategic decision separate from how good or bad the OS actually is...

- So if P1 can't move ahead with Cobalt. What direction do they have to go in? That leaves Linux and MS.

<snip>

Couple points, I agree that a WM treo does sound good on paper and it would make sense for Palmone to consider this and any other possible senarios. However, PalmOne (soon to be Palm again) just announced that they renewed their PalmOS lisence until 2010, so to assume that there will not be another palmos device from P1 would be mistaken. There might be a WM Treo in the works, but I highly doubt it would be at the expense of a palmOS version and I furthermore doubt that it would be released prior to the next major palmos version. Also, eventually PalmOne has to release a Cobalt based device imo. The reason it hasn't imo is because there is no competitive pressure to do so from other lisencees. This is one of the huge disadvantages of losing a competitor like Sony from the handheld market imo b/c I'm sure that they would have pushed PalmOne to be more aggressive in adapting Cobalt by now.. *sigh*

Anyway, other makers like GSL/OSWIN are already marketing around Cobalt smartphones. Eventually and hopefully they will appear and PalmOne will have to release one too imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    gfunk,

I have to disagree...the lack of cobalt device indicate disaster (technical or otherwise).

Cobalt is the only OS in history to release a version (6.0) that was never implemented on a commercial device.

I guess we may see 6.1, but still, the signs point to bad juju.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Just because no one has released a Cobalt device, doesn't mean that there is somethign wrong with the OS! There could me many reasons for this including many business and strategic decision separate from how good or bad the OS actually is...

The reason it hasn't imo is because there is no competitive pressure to do so.

Anyway, other makers like GSL/OSWIN are already marketing around Cobalt smartphones. Eventually and hopefully they will appear and PalmOne will have to release one too imo...
    This is the course things will take. Its exciting for some people to believe otherwise, because change, no matter what kind, is exciting. That does not mean this is the way things will go. In fact, I almost gurantee a Cobalt device will be released before Windows. Will we see Windows Treos? Maybe, but that's a ways off.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    gfunk,

I have to disagree...the lack of cobalt device indicate disaster (technical or otherwise).
    On what are you basing this? Years ago Pontiac had a car called the Banshee in the works. It never came out, but trust me, it was still a damn good car!
    It'll be fun.
    am trying to figure a wy to download ureach.com fax atachments that are readable - any ideas? thanks
    ureach.com attachments - any help?
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmantione
    am trying to figure a wy to download ureach.com fax atachments that are readable - any ideas? thanks
    No.

But perhaps you might want to start your own thread about this, instead of burying it in something having nothing at all to do with this subject.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Doom,

That may be true but as the saying goes, "If people can't buy it, it doesn't matter."
    gfunk,

Cobalt is the only OS in history to release a version (6.0) that was never implemented on a commercial device.

I guess we may see 6.1, but still, the signs point to bad juju.

I agree that PalmSource's inability to get lisencees to release a Cobalt device for so long has been a disaster. But my point was that it is not necessarily becuase of the product itself.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I would also like to have GPS so I can use Navigation software.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Could we also get GPS for navigation software? I see Blackberry ads with this feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by bklabel
    I would also like to have GPS so I can use Navigation software.

You can do this now with various BT and SD solutions! Do a search for more info..

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Gfunk.. Not intended to stray away from the topic but why do you still have "The next great Miami tailback" on your replys if he never signed with Miami? I think he would of been an excellent addition to UM's backfield.
    Quote Originally Posted by damigs
    Gfunk.. Not intended to stray away from the topic but why do you still have "The next great Miami tailback" on your replys if he never signed with Miami? I think he would of been an excellent addition to UM's backfield.
    Because he's still a sophmore in HS! Checkout grassy.com, there's alot of posts on ND...

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Because he's still a sophmore in HS! Checkout grassy.com, there's alot of posts on ND...
    I'll bet he'll be on the Hurricanes before Cobalt is on a Palm device! Remember when some people were going to holdout for a Treo with Cobalt instead of buying the brand new 600? Luckily, PalmSource doesn't name like MS or we'd still be waiting for PalmOS 2003 instead of Cobalt. Regardless of how well it does or doesn't work, Cobalt has been a complete disaster for PalmSource.

As for the Treo, it wouldn't surprise me if Palm released a Windows version AND a Palm OS version. Then they could just let the market to decide which way things should go. Kind of like when they had a keyboard and graffiti version of the Treo 180.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    There was a graphitti version of the 180? Ugh, for God's sake, WHY?!?
    It'll be fun.
    Yup, there sure was. It was called the 180g. When HS saw how little the demand was versus the keyboard version, they scrapped the variation on all subsequent Treos. But there were still some people complaining that they just wouldn't buy a Treo 270 without graffiti when it came out!! So Palm threw them a bone and offered a free version of Jot. I think a few months later, after giving the keyboard a real try, everyone realized how much better it was and I have never heard a demand for a graffiti Treo since. I still can't believe they threw graffiti on the LifeDrive instead of a keyboard. Just shows whose running Palm.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    If a Treo 700 comes out with an Microsoft OS (and there have been rumors to the affect of a Treo with a MS OS) I would have to believe that there would be a parallel release of a similiar hardware specs Treo 700 with the Palm OS. I just can't even imagine the uproar that would be created, if that wasn't the case. (Unless that 700 was just a 650 with a MS OS.)

Cheers, Perry
    Perry,

It's happened.

No uproar. Not even a peep.
    It makes perfect sense - the point is, if iTunes did not run on Windows, iPods would not be as popular. Period. It has nothing to do the with OS on the iPod.

The iPod is a music player. Yes, there are hacks to do more, but let's not kid ourselves - 95% of them are used solely for music. (And I really like mine.)

The OS in the Treo has everything to do with it - it is a PDA and phone, and the software drives the hardware. NOT the same as just an MP3 player.

Palm has languished in this area, and MS has made incremental improvements. I'm just saying from a business perspective, it makes a lot of sense. And consumers would respond.

Believe me, I would love a Cobalt Treo, but at this rate, I fear we will see a Magneto one before then...
    Looks like I was right....again.

Crow pie is now being served to the naysayers.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast