Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    I believe you Mike but if that were the only reason that would be nuts. Were they not worried about the market? Were they working on what they thought was more important?

P.S. If my questions sound green yes I have only been using a PDA for a few years now.
    Well, it's very common for corporations to milk cash cows at the expense of R&D. Palm did this, and has no on eto blame but itself.

So in the short term, their bottom line looks good, as they sell the same regurgitated devices to the public...but eventually that catches up to them, and by then, it's too late.
    ...that theory, while not impossible if we were dealing with Palm, is not very likely when you take into account the fact that you're dealing with Palmone AND Palmsource. Sure, Palmone might have been satisfied with what they had and kept "selling the cash cow", Lord knows that's what Tandy did to Radioshack for years, but you're also dealing with Palmsource, who definitely need a new hit OS to stay afloat. So there's got to be mpre to it than simply Palm not trying to develop anything for the last five years.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    When's the next tradeshow or conference ... I wonder if Palm will announce something new.

I hope I dont have to wait much longer for the Treo 7XX. I might have to fold and buy the 650

-------------------------------
    Treo 600

Joe Kim
    joek@beddingstyle.com
    http://www.beddingstyle.com
    Quote Originally Posted by joek22
    When's the next tradeshow or conference ... I wonder if Palm will announce something new.

I hope I dont have to wait much longer for the Treo 7XX. I might have to fold and buy the 650

-------------------------------
    Treo 600

Joe Kim
    joek@beddingstyle.com
    http://www.beddingstyle.com
    Who is your carrier? Sprint 7XXs will probably be Dec-05, Verizon 7XXs will probably be the Summer of 06.
    I met this person I met in Chicago Airport last week, he work in close proximity of Palm (That is what he said which explains that he do not work directly for PalmOne). He say, from now on all PalmOne products will be HUSH HUSH thingy. No words out about anything. It all started from last year's leak about 650 all over the internet. This time no leaking of name that will be given to next Treo, no specifics for OS or anything. It implemented with release of LifeDrive and this trend will continue. Only thing rings bell is when I asked if next Treo will include windows and He laughed and said, if PalmOne buying Palm name and announcement of Linux coding for Palm doent give you hints then you just might wait and see. (Does it mean anything???? )
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    they did a great job of keeping the lifedrive a secret
    Can anybody confirm about this Hush Hush thing from PalmOne?? So we wont get any information about Next Treo????
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    they did a great job of keeping the lifedrive a secret
    No they didn't. If you look back in Treo Central threads, you'll find me talking about it at least 2 months before it was released.

This post goes back 7 or 8 weeks before they released it and I know I was talking about it before that too.

It's just that no one believed me.
    Last edited by archie; 06/08/2005 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    No they didn't. If you look back in Treo Central threads, you'll find me talking about it at least 2 months before it was released.

This post goes back 7 or 8 weeks before they released it and I know I was talking about it before that too.

I was being sarcastic. Everyone knew about. Hellooooo
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I was being sarcastic.
    This is a first...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    well if P1 could keep the lifedrive such a big secret (not!) then why aren't we hearing more about the Treo 7xx (or hush hush thing)? Or is P1 threatening to sue if any leaks are allowed on forums (a la Apple)?

I would love to have a glimpse of the specs on the Treo 7xx (and timing) before I weaken and buy the T650.
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Let's think about it logically.....what is the earliest information we heard on Lifedrive? 8 weeks? Let's say 3 months to be generous. If we are expecting a late fall release, it's a bit early to hear about anything.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'm beta testing the new 700 as we speak. But I'm NDA'd so I can't talk about it...
    looks like P1 did an Apple on insertion!

or maybe somebody gave him a pre-production T650 and he does not know it!
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Quote Originally Posted by archie

Two months is a pretty good job. Even Apple couldn't keep the announcement of the Mac mini a secret. If the next Treo is coming out at Dec this year, then we will hear about the leak at October. ( )

I think they won't use the Treo + number to name the next model. I hope they release a low end and an high end Treo at the same thing. I can use a smaller 240X320 screened Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    This is a first...
    Archie will know the next Treo release months ahead of time, because the next Treo will run iPod OS... :-)
    Is any thread safe from you two???
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Webitobbsessed's Treo 650 leak and the PalmOne presentation leak came approx 1 and half months prior to the 650 release...

However, this time PalmOne is being extremely cautious as they do not want to replicate the 650 leak fiasco. I imagine it's going to be alot harder to get info this time around. Anyway, PalmOne has been following a yearly update cycle for the Treos which would mean the next treo should be announed sometime this Oct-Dec 2005 afaikafaikafaik...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    AS much as I hate to admit it. I could see Palm releasing a MS Treo at some point. The facts as I see them are:

- Cobalt has been languishing for how long now? A year and a half maybe? If it was so great, P1 would've put it on something by now. The fact that they haven't indicates the opposite, that Cobalt is a disaster of an OS.

- So if P1 can't move ahead with Cobalt. What direction do they have to go in? That leaves Linux and MS.

- P1 has already stated they see that multimedia has becoming a natural path for additional device convergence and the PPC does this better than the other OS's. It also has multitasking which was an objective that Cobalt was supposed to achieve.

- PPC smartphones have gotten market share over the years but the Treo has remained the king mostly because the PPC phones look like bricks. Potentially, the best way for P1 to avoid losing the smartphone market might be to put Windows on the Treo. Think about it. You would FINALLY have a PPC that got the form factor correct!! So a Treo PPC would crush the other PPC smartphone companies. It would snuff those companies - the Treo's main competitors - before they could ever get it right. At the same time, Palm would also probably be able to retain a lot of their current base.

As a marketing strategy, MS on a Treo does have a lot of merit.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Bob-C is spot on....

And no Insert, no thread is safe :-)
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast