Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Windows Treo is inevitable.

The majority of iPod owners are Windows users. iPods would not nearly be as successful if iTunes was Mac only.

The point is, like it or not, MS plays a role.

Palm rested on their laurels and had their arse handed to them.

It's a business, people. Adapt or die.
    That makes absolutely no sense. The OS inside an iPod is not MS.

If you want to compare, a majority of Treo users are Windows users.

So where does this have anything to do w/ the OS inside the Treo.

While your logic is completely flawed, I have to admit I'm fearful that the truth is there will one day be a Windows based "Palm" product. **shakes head in sorrow**
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    MikeC either owns a lot of MS stock or is an employee. No other explanation for blind loyalty to monopolizing software giant that does it's best to stiffle competition with questionable practices, is somewhat mediocre itself because it's often late to the table or redundant, has huge memory hogging programs... should I go on?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The problem is that with a few tweaks the Windows Mobile platform will be light years ahead of the palm. Switching from the 6600 back to a 650, gave me better integration between the phone and pda, but I feel like I am using an antique.

When a five way and a few other relatively simple elements are implemented into the windows OS it is all over for palm.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Oh my god, I hate to even respond here, but...

Today I dropped my Treo 600. It now has a big blue blotch on the screen, so I brought it to the Sprint store. I have the full service plan, so they said, "Oh, we'll just replace it." Stupid me, I said, "Is there any point in upgrading to the 650?" They said,
    "Well, you could, but it's a lot of money...if I were going to upgrade, I'd wait until the fall when the Treo 700 comes out." Aaaaarrrgghh! I said, "WHAT?????" This guy said it's going to be Microsoft (naturally!) and very expensive, like $600 or $700. I said I'd just take the replacement for my 600. Sigh....
    Now, is this a rumor, was the guy pulling my chain, or is the Windows Treo on the horizon?
    If a Treo 700 comes out with an Microsoft OS (and there have been rumors to the affect of a Treo with a MS OS) I would have to believe that there would be a parallel release of a similiar hardware specs Treo 700 with the Palm OS. I just can't even imagine the uproar that would be created, if that wasn't the case. (Unless that 700 was just a 650 with a MS OS.)

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/31/2005 at 08:50 PM.
    I just want a 480X320 screen + no keyboard for the fansy users and a dual SD slot for the power model.

It's fine if they put in a faster CPU, which I don't need. I also would love a folding model in the size of a Moto mpx220. They can shrink the screen to 240X320. I am fine with it.

I really want longer and narrower phones. I wonder which smart phone maker will provide me that.
    I, too, miss my 480x320 screen of my T3, but I think the current form factor of the Treo is the best compromise to balance it's PDA functions with Phone functions.

No keyboard? That is alot of tapping or graffiti!!

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by jachang
    Now, is this a rumor, was the guy pulling my chain, or is the Windows Treo on the horizon?
    Yes, yes, and maybe. There will always be something bigger, better, stronger, faster in the future - especially with electronics. Buy what suits your immediate short- mid-range needs because if you keep heading towards the horizion in the hope of reaching it, you never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    That makes absolutely no sense. The OS inside an iPod is not MS.

If you want to compare, a majority of Treo users are Windows users.

So where does this have anything to do w/ the OS inside the Treo.

While your logic is completely flawed, I have to admit I'm fearful that the truth is there will one day be a Windows based "Palm" product. **shakes head in sorrow**
    It makes perfect sense - the point is, if iTunes did not run on Windows, iPods would not be as popular. Period. It has nothing to do the with OS on the iPod.

The iPod is a music player. Yes, there are hacks to do more, but let's not kid ourselves - 95% of them are used solely for music. (And I really like mine.)

The OS in the Treo has everything to do with it - it is a PDA and phone, and the software drives the hardware. NOT the same as just an MP3 player.

Palm has languished in this area, and MS has made incremental improvements. I'm just saying from a business perspective, it makes a lot of sense. And consumers would respond.

Believe me, I would love a Cobalt Treo, but at this rate, I fear we will see a Magneto one before then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    MikeC either owns a lot of MS stock or is an employee. No other explanation for blind loyalty to monopolizing software giant that does it's best to stiffle competition with questionable practices, is somewhat mediocre itself because it's often late to the table or redundant, has huge memory hogging programs... should I go on?

Lady, you know nothing about me, so do not make comments about my intentions. If I was to say you were a crackwhore for the Palm CEO (WHICH I AM NOT), I would be beaten down (as I should, if I was to say that).

I own zero MS stock...I am not an MS employee.

I am not blindly loyal...just stating some facts. I have bought over 400 Treos and about 100 PPC; more than anyone else here. I use what works, when it works, in the proper context.

I am not saying MS is all wonderful...just pointing out a gap that Palm is not filling with it's current offering. I love the Treo form factor (could be slimmer and lighter, but hey, it will get there). The OS is lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I, too, miss my 480x320 screen of my T3, but I think the current form factor of the Treo is the best compromise to balance it's PDA functions with Phone functions.

No keyboard? That is alot of tapping or graffiti!!

Cheers, Perry.
    They could do a slider keyboard...that would get you the screen size.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    It makes perfect sense - the point is, if iTunes did not run on Windows, iPods would not be as popular. Period. It has nothing to do the with OS on the iPod.
    <snip>
    That does not fix your original argument. It still makes no sense. You are saying that iPods would not be as popular if they did not connect to Windows (they do not RUN windows.) The Treo connects to Windows as well. What does this have to do with the OS inside the Treo?

I also disagree that Windows has made more strides than Palm. The biggest problem is that Cobalt appears to be mistware....however the admins I work with say their PPC units are buggier than my Treo. Everyone around here wishes they had my Treo instead of the PPCs and BBs they have now. I'll admit there are a few things the PPC can do better, but it's marginal and I expect Cobalt will narrow the gap if not close it.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    Maybe we'll finally get a Treo running Cobalt.
    Cobalt .. yes please .. give me a PDA capable of doing anything .. but with no apps anywhere to do anything .. sounds like a plan ! Cobalt was dead the minute it was concieved ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    That does not fix your original argument. It still makes no sense. You are saying that iPods would not be as popular if they did not connect to Windows (they do not RUN windows.) The Treo connects to Windows as well. What does this have to do with the OS inside the Treo?

I also disagree that Windows has made more strides than Palm. The biggest problem is that Cobalt appears to be mistware....however the admins I work with say their PPC units are buggier than my Treo. Everyone around here wishes they had my Treo instead of the PPCs and BBs they have now. I'll admit there are a few things the PPC can do better, but it's marginal and I expect Cobalt will narrow the gap if not close it.
    I have 3 PPC's and my treo 650 .. I use the 650 on a daily basis it is much easier to use and a much better form factor. HOWEVER it crashes 4x as often as my PPC's .. in fact .. I can't remember the last time one of my PPC's crashed whereas my TREO crashes at least once a day, often just by hitting the green phone icon .. sigh.
    My Treo rarely crashes (maybe once a week?) We've had several permanently hosed PPCs here.
    Insertion: If you're really worried about your NDA. In all actuallity, you weren't even supposed to tell anyone you were beta testing it...
    Rumors to have seen or played with or beta tested a device that has currently no supporting evidence that it even exists should really be kept to yourself. If I was a mod here I'd delete the post and warn the user who put it up. Put up proof, or be quiet and discuss possibilities. But don't state things you can not prove simply to make yourself feel more important. This forum needs some serious guidance.
    Chill man.....it was a joke.
    Count me among those who don't need Wi-Fi on their 7XX, and don't want Windows!

I'll settle for upgrades to the normal stuff (RAM, BT, Processor, Camera...) and a price drop. Oh, and configuring the volume rocker to be a scroll rocker in other apps than phone (a la Butler). The one thing I miss about my 180 is the scroll wheel.
    -mbd26
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast