1.    #1  
    ...so please take it easy on me if these questions have been answered. I hunted for several hours and have yet to find the exact answers. Any help is appreciated, so TIA.

1. Camera-Less - I'm with Verizon, and need a 650 without a camera - my main purpose for getting the 650 is so I can LEAVE the office and still access my messages. As it is, I pass up a lot of outside time because I'm expecting biz emails. BUT more and more places are starting to ban cameras. I saw mention that there is one without the camera, but can anyone direct me? Verizon - local store - could not help.

2. For those selling "unlocked" 650s from Sprint to be used on Verizon - I'm considering this slightly (but will probably buy new), but those phones that are unlocked, will they function just like the one I would buy from Verizon direct.

Pamela
    It's too bad first posters are getting so skittish about asking a question.

WELCOME!

Supposedly Palm will be offering camera less 650s because of this issue, but I have heard of no firm date.

There was a post yesterday with pictures on how to take the camera out of your Treo. How brave are you?

Having trouble pasting that link here. The post was by swifty99 at 6:59pm yesterday (May 20th) in the 650 Hardware section.

Sorry that this was not more definitive.

Cheers, Perry.
    I saw a listing on either the verizon web page or the Palm One web page showing the 650 less the camera. I can't find the page just now, but they do (will?) exist.
  4.    #4  
    I did see the post on removing the camera - and though I'm pretty good with tools, I'm not brave enough to take apart the device. :-)

Sorry about being skittish. I post (and moderate) on many forums, so I know the rule of thumb is ... search first. Yep, been hammered many times with rough posters if the answer was already out there.

Thanks for the info - I'll call Palm One again.

Pamela
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, Muab. I hunted and hunted. I shall hunt some more. :-)

Pamela
    Welcome! I have a Sprint 650 so I can't help you, sorry & good luck...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    You might want to read this thread from yesterday...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght+650+camera

Maybe you can PM the buyer to find the eBay seller. Maybe he has others. Hope you find one!
    the spring treo 650 that are converted for verizon work exactly like the verizon treos

although theres no wireless sync or picture messaging...most people dont use that anyway

if u want more info..or want to buy...contact me
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Sorry about being skittish. I post (and moderate) on many forums, so I know the rule of thumb is ... search first. Yep, been hammered many times with rough posters if the answer was already out there.
    Most times on here you'll find people just post a link to the relevant thread.
    I don't own either a Sprint or a Verizon model, but all of the carriers have PalmOne make modifications to the firmware for their network, and in some cases they put add-on tools onto the phone to augment or replace standard utilities. I believe Verizon is bundling some sort of messaging app that automatically links into their network. Not sure of the details.

So, while you can make Sprint phones work on Verizon's network, a modified Sprint phone will not be exactly the same as a phone you get directly from Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    I did see the post on removing the camera - and though I'm pretty good with tools, I'm not brave enough to take apart the device. :-)

Thanks for the info - I'll call Palm One again.

Pamela

If Palm doesn't have the camera-less versions yet -- I wonder how much they would charge to take the camera out of the one you purchase?
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for all your comments. I ordered my phone today to arrive tomorrow. Was also advised that if I wanted to, I could call anytime, switch to another phone, then switch right back, which resolves the camera issue (if I went anywhere I couldn't have a camera, I wouldn't be "using" the phone anyway but just for an emergency phone call).

Pamela