1.    #1  
    Hi there, this is my first post. I am a new cellphone user (never had one before) as well as a (potentially) new PDA user.
    I am a college student and therefore I don't know if I would really get enough use out of the PDA functions of the Treo 600. It seems attractive because a) it's cool, b)I like the idea of a built in MP3 player and c) of the additional application possibilities.

Now, I have done lots and lots of reading and have found lots of complaints about weird bugs with the Treo 600. Am I better off just waiting for the T650 when it comes down in price, or should I just get a cellphone to start off with? I want to buy my service through Amazon so I'm not sure if/how the Treo would be covered in case of issues (which seem common).

Should I go for the 600 now that it's fairly cheap or should I save my pennies, get a regular ol' cellphone and wait for the T650 or other models to get cheaper?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
    I've had a Sprint Treo 600 since Oct 2003. It's great and only had one problem. The camera crapped out on me and I am waiting for a replacement.

If you buy them new, I don't think the 650 is that much more expensive. I was in the Sprint store yesterday and the difference was only $50.

Now if you can get a real good deal on a used 600 with a decent battery, that might be a good for you.

I'm sure others will chime in.
    LOL and welcome to TreoCentral
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by VockViel
    Hi there, this is my first post. I am a new cellphone user (never had one before) as well as a (potentially) new PDA user.
    I am a college student and therefore I don't know if I would really get enough use out of the PDA functions of the Treo 600. It seems attractive because a) it's cool, b)I like the idea of a built in MP3 player and c) of the additional application possibilities.
    You can play some good music with it while your studying/commuting/etc.
    You can keep track of your class assignments with it.
    You can keep emails/phone numbers for anyone you study with.

Now, I have done lots and lots of reading and have found lots of complaints about weird bugs with the Treo 600. Am I better off just waiting for the T650 when it comes down in price, or should I just get a cellphone to start off with? I want to buy my service through Amazon so I'm not sure if/how the Treo would be covered in case of issues (which seem common).
    I would recommend buying the 650 if your going new. Better screen/camera, possibly better keyboard, better processor, built in bluetooth.

Should I go for the 600 now that it's fairly cheap or should I save my pennies, get a regular ol' cellphone and wait for the T650 or other models to get cheaper?
    I think the pda/cell phone converged device is valuable to any student.
  4.    #4  
    Yes gungho, I think you're right... it definitely could come in handy. I would love to get a 650, but right now Amazon is offering the 600 for $150 (after rebates) which is $250 less than the 650 from Verizon right now. Maybe it'll come down after the 23rd...

Maybe someone can chip in, but can I use my free university dial-up account to get web/email access? (assuming I can't jump on the EN-MOU bandwagon)
    Well, I dont know if you can create a PPP dial up connection with the treo. Do a search on it. (Plus unless you have a lot of 'free' minutes, you are going to have to be careful on your usage. If you go sprint, its 15 bucks a month unlimited.
    Just do it, have fun with the 650! Worth every penny......
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  7.    #7  
    I guess the only real remaining question is what the best data plan would be? I want to go with VZW because my gf has it, therefore IN calling would be a plus... However from my reading Verizon really sucks when it comes to data usage. Does anyone know the status of MOU with Verizon right now, or of being able to just dial up and get internet access on your treo with a dial-up acct?
    Vock, wait for the 650. The 600 is not worth it.

Only get it if you need the calendar/todo/email while away from your PC. If you need just a phone and mp3 player, just get two devices (it would be much cheaper, and do the tasks better).

If you decide to go Treo, switch you girlfriend to Sprint...you'll save enough on data to more than make up for things.
    As a student the phone makes tons of sense. The only issue would be the expsense of your data plan. I am on VZW and it makes sense for me. If I was a student I would go Sprint. On the money you save you could probably pay your gf's phone bill.

I have never used the 600 but the 650 is really a useful tool for me and works better an any PDA I have ever used. I wish I hadn't bought my MP3 player now.