1.    #1  
    As a student I came up with this mock up device as part of a project I was doing for a class.

Its for a sort of super PDA device that I think is partially feasible. Let me know what you guys think, its a PPT Powerpoint slide presentation.

http://www.jaedesigner.com/JDA.ppt
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    It's an interesting thought. I'm not sure how technically feasable it is... for some reason GPS is pretty much a line of sight thing... if the GPS antenna isn't in clear view of the sky it won't get a signal, so if you're inside or if the device is in your pocket or sitting on the car seat next to you then you're not likely to get a GPS signal. I'm not sure how to best work around this.

You also have some interesting ideas about the device being able to detect where you're going, but I'm not quite sure I see the usefulness of this. Additionally, I'm not sure how accurate it will be... if your bank and favorite restaraunt happened to be next to each other, or even near each other, then the device isn't going to know where you're going until you're nearly there.

Interesting thoughts, though... good luck with the project if you choose to pursue it any further.

Brett
    Very cool device concept. I wonder how long it will take till we have the processor horsepower (and battery life to go with it), to enable such a device / form factor. I've often thought about the locational aspect, as the PDA / JDA knows I'm near someplace I have an errand to do it can remind me. eg. near a post office, go get stamps or drop off the mail. near a branch of your bank, go deposit the checks. Near a ...........

good luck if you run with it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azariatech
    Very cool device concept. I wonder how long it will take till we have the processor horsepower (and battery life to go with it), to enable such a device / form factor. I've often thought about the locational aspect, as the PDA / JDA knows I'm near someplace I have an errand to do it can remind me. eg. near a post office, go get stamps or drop off the mail. near a branch of your bank, go deposit the checks. Near a ...........

good luck if you run with it!!
    This is exactly what I was thinking of!!! (Albeit indoors). As soon as you walk into the office, it turns off the ringer and switches to vibrate. (No phone ringer policy in the office here). As soon as you leave, it turns it back on. But I had envisionsed that WiFi/BT would be the trigger (pick up the office WiFi signal - trigger the event).