Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm currently working in the LA area and near Beverly Hills. A lady where I'm working told me on Tuesday about a specialty jeweler in BH that had a T650 with a handmade 24k gold case encrusted with diamonds. She was on the buy list. (Based on the jewelery she wears, I don't doubt it)

I went to the jeweler on Tuesday and inquired beacuse I had this lady's permission and was referred. This jeweler is very exclusive to say the least.

I was only able to view the Treo within a case they brought out to me. It did indeed have a 24k gold hand made casing encrusted witth tiny diamonds totaling approx. 2 carats in weight according to the jeweler. The keys had not been altered. The chrome area around the Nav keys was a burnished gold. Surprisingly, it was quite attractive. I never thought it would be before seeing it.

The initial asking price was $24,500, but since several customers were interested in it, the jeweler had asked all interested buyers (clients) to place a bid.

It sold yesterday for $38,000 and was hand delivered to the buyer by the jeweler! (Sell Info from the lady where I'm working)

I assume this has to be a record for a Treo and anyone reading this can probably assume where the buyer lives!
    Was it Jessica Simpson? Nick carries a Treo...
    I don't think Nick would be the kinda guy to carry a gold and diamond case for his Treo. LoL
    This is another example of, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Money can buy a lot of things but good taste isn't one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by fl00d_pr0z
    I don't think Nick would be the kinda guy to carry a gold and diamond case for his Treo. LoL
    LoL...No! Nick carries a Treo already, no case. This isn't a case, this is gold and diamonds on the Treo itself. I wondered if Jessica bought it for herself! ;-P
    Ohhhh, I thought it was a case for a Treo... So it's actaully a T650 in gold and diamonds... Ew ? LoL
    Like all the starlets with the crystal encrusted Sidekicks and cell phones... :-)
    I would rather wear the diamonds and gold instead of carry around. Plus 24K is pure gold and very soft. Not good for electronics. Waste of good materials IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'm sure anyone spending $38,000 on a Treo is already wearing a fortune in diamonds... too much money to burn is the waste. :-)
    24K dents easily and I was told by a jeweler that diamonds can fall out of a 24K setting because it's so soft. That's why I say it's a waste of good materials. If someone wants a gold/diamond Treo(too gaudy, IMO) that's up to them. But I don't see how they can use it on a regular basis unless it's only in the limo, house or something. If you drop it on concrete or something..., well I'll leave that to imagination.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I would rather wear the diamonds and gold instead of carry around. Plus 24K is pure gold and very soft. Not good for electronics. Waste of good materials IMO.
    This was exactly my sentiments expressed to the jeweler when I talked with him about it; however, apparently there is some new process of forming/molding 24k gold that enables some significant degree of hardening, but he said it still must be treated somewhat more delicately than a normal casing would. He did state very emphatically that the diamonds would not loosen and/or fall out unless the gold casing is somehow damaged badly. Each of the diamonds by itself are small, but as a whole they looked pretty darn good on the gold case.

By the way, I tried in earnest to get him to let me take a photo of the thing with my Treo that I had at the time, but he wouldn't let me. He wouldn't exactly explain his reasoning for this, but I assume whoever ended up owning it would not want it widely known that it exists except maybe to their inner circle of friends/relatives. I cannot surmise any other reason. It's not like anyone knows their name other than the jeweler.

This whole thing just shows to go ya that there are numerous people out there with money to burn. The lady I'm working with said there were at least twelve potential buyers, she being one of them.

My wife also happens to work for an exclusive jeweler in Atlanta and has for years. She has at least two long-time customers who spend well over $50K a month on jewelry alone and most of it with my wife and the jeweler!
    Thanks for sharing, Christinac130. We have a friend who is a maniacal and talented hobbiest. She encrusted my wife's LG cellphone with blue crystals. It looks great and is quite a hit especially with the female tween crowd. Now she's after me to do my Treo 600 (in manly black crystals) and I have to keep turning her down!
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    Quote Originally Posted by vflopez
    Thanks for sharing, Christinac130. We have a friend who is a maniacal and talented hobbiest. She encrusted my wife's LG cellphone with blue crystals. It looks great and is quite a hit especially with the female tween crowd. Now she's after me to do my Treo 600 (in manly black crystals) and I have to keep turning her down!
    I know a place called NYC Peach does cell phones with Swarovski crystals. I know I'll probably be mocked mercilessly for saying so, but I loved Sarah Jessica Parker's pink crystal phone in Sex And The City. I wanted it for my 650...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    I know a place called NYC Peach does cell phones with Swarovski crystals. I know I'll probably be mocked mercilessly for saying so, but I loved Sarah Jessica Parker's pink crystal phone in Sex And The City. I wanted it for my 650...
    Don't get any ideas, woman!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Alas, as if anyone were in doubt, Consumerism and Capitalism is alive and well in this country!
    Blue crystals and Swarowsky crystals sound quite appealing compared to 24K gold and diamonds... How tacky can you get? Must be some hip hop or RnB star that bought the phone to match his 5 kilo gold chains... Way over the top! Yuk!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne
    Blue crystals and Swarowsky crystals sound quite appealing compared to 24K gold and diamonds... How tacky can you get? Must be some hip hop or RnB star that bought the phone to match his 5 kilo gold chains... Way over the top! Yuk!
    Couldn't help but to post this. I was just told it "was" a woman that made the purchase. What kind of a woman I haven't a clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by v3treonut
    Couldn't help but to post this. I was just told it "was" a woman that made the purchase. What kind of a woman I haven't a clue.
    A woman with a rich husband.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    My wife's is just like that except blue. Being on that show gave validation to having it encrusted. The phone even played a vital role in the last scene of the show by revealing Big's name!
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne
    I think it's tacky too, but please be careful with the generalizations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast