Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a brand new user of treocentral. I've been reading for a while.

I just ordered my Treo 650 from Verizon. I have to say that I am pretty excited about this. I use to upgrade my Palm Pilot at least once a year, but recent shortage of funds have prevented me from upgrading in almost 2 years!

I was kicking around the idea of getting a Lifedrive. From what I've read the lifedrive seems like an absolutely amazing device. It is almost everything I could hope for.

However, this would require me to also carry a Bluetooth phone. I was quite torn, but decided on the treo 650 as my final purchase.

Anybody else out there having trouble picking? Or better yet, does anyone have both devices or uses a bluetooth phone and a data to connect their palmone device to the internet?

just curious,

ezegna
    to Treo or not to Treo, now that is the question
    Knowing VZW's history with BT phones, using a Lifedrive is sketchy. I'd stick with the Treo.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    As you can see from my signature line . . I got tired of carrying around my Tungsten T3 paired with a Bluetooth phone. Go with the Treo 650. The LifeDrive has nice features (the faster processor, the mini drive and the screen) but the 650 is not limited to Wifi hot spots for access to e-mail and the Web and then there is that phone feature . . . .

Buy a 1GB or 2GB SD card and you are all set.

Cheers, Perry
  4.    #4  
    That's what i figured. The thing that I really love about the Lifedrive is the large screen. That is so key. I hope they release a treo down the road with a larger screen. It really makes viewing pages and documents so much easier.
    In another thread someone made the point that a "MicroDrive" and the vibration mode of a Treo may not be compatible -- so we probably won't get the hard drive, but I could go for a faster processor and more internal memory. I will live without the larger screen of my former T3 to keep the form factor of the 650.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/20/2005 at 09:39 AM.
    I really don't like the idea of the micodrive in a phone. I wonder about the durability, but then again I've dropped a couple of iPods that did pretty well. Honestly I don't see the need to jump from 32MB to 4GB. I'd just love to see 128MB+ RAM in the next treo.
    To me, there's really no comparison between the Treo and LifeDrive. About the only thing they have in common is the Palm OS.

Treo: phone, keypad, small screen / form factor, more business oriented

LD: no phone, graffiti, large screen, MUCH larger, more consumer oriented (large storage for audio/video files, for example)

Once you know what you're looking for, the choice should be obvious.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    How memory can you buy for $500? Probably about 8 GB (4 2 gb SD Cards).
    A review I read said it took 6 seconds for the drive to spin up and retreive data.

Would think a Treo 650 with a 2 gb SD card, BT and hacked WiFi would be a more functional device!
    I can't believe they released the DeathMarch with OS 5.x.

When will the OS 6 devices be here? I am thinking next year at this rate.

Otherwise, it might be compelling for some who don't have an issue with the two device solution.
  10.    #10  
    Yeah, I am a little disapointed they didn't release OS6 yet. It seems like windows will start taking more maket share if they don't release it soon!
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fry-man22
    I really don't like the idea of the micodrive in a phone. I wonder about the durability, but then again I've dropped a couple of iPods that did pretty well. Honestly I don't see the need to jump from 32MB to 4GB. I'd just love to see 128MB+ RAM in the next treo.
    I was thinking the same thing. It's cheaper and more pratical to just use a 1 or even 2 GB card now. I like that the Treo has no moving parts, after all, it's a phone and it's going to be subjected to a lot of jarring....then again so's the ipod and that doesn't have any issues.

In any case I read an interesting article about the lifedrive that mentions the 6 second pause also, and it also mentions that the lifedrive works so-so with bluetooth phones and not at all with the 650 (yes, made also by palmone)
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by ezegna
    That's what i figured. The thing that I really love about the Lifedrive is the large screen. That is so key. I hope they release a treo down the road with a larger screen. It really makes viewing pages and documents so much easier.
    I like a large screen, but I prefer a small device. I'd rather live with the screen in the Treo than make the phone any bigger.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I was by my local Compusa store today and wanted to see the Lifedrive and lo and behold, a PalmOne Rep was there promoting it. He said he was only there for the day and was lucky to catch him at the time. He had promotions with the Lifedrive as well as the E2 (you get gifts if you both either). He had one Lifedrive, two Treo 650s as well as an E2 on display. He had some free pens and info stuff for just the curious. He uses a Treo 650 as his main PDA.

First impressions on the LD:

It is big! People walked over and pulled out their PDAs to compare. Most were either disappointed with the size or didn't find the price jump to be justified with their needs.

The processing speed is kinda slow. It would take a bit longer to register (screen taps, app launching) than my Treo 650.

It kinda felt alot like my old Tungsten C without the keyboard (and beleive it or not, the TC felt nicer because of the rounded corners.

With the little time I spent with it, I wasn't impressed as I don't see a need for it but others might. The screen is much nicer and has an updated PTunes interface. The Palm OS version was 5.4.8.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    the only thing the lifedrive does for me is raise my expectations for the next treo...so i can get let down again
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I bought a Lifedrive yesterday{I have a treo 650 also} and I have to say, the thing is great. It is a little big, especially with the case, but it works great. It is about as responsive as the 650, which is somewhat slower than my son's Zire 72 for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbernau
    I bought a Lifedrive yesterday{I have a treo 650 also} and I have to say, the thing is great. It is a little big, especially with the case, but it works great. It is about as responsive as the 650, which is somewhat slower than my son's Zire 72 for example.
    The 72 and 650 have the same processor.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I have both...Treo650 as soon as it came out, LifeDrive a week.
    I really want to love the Life Drive but I've just decided to go back to the Treo650.
    Reasons:
    ...main one: the feel. LifeDrive is clunky.
    ...as fast as WiFi is, I'd rather have the slower ChatterMail but know I can get it anywhere.
    ...Palm V is history. Typing is easier. I missed the keyboard on the LifeDrive.
    ...Though I only use it as a backup, the phone on Treo650 is such a plus.

LifeDrive is solid, well built. A sophisticated gentleman. Treo is kind of patched together, like a nice guy, but shlubby normal.
    Normal is more fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by drrjv
    How memory can you buy for $500? Probably about 8 GB (4 2 gb SD Cards).
    A review I read said it took 6 seconds for the drive to spin up and retreive data.

Would think a Treo 650 with a 2 gb SD card, BT and hacked WiFi would be a more functional device!
    1. You can't insert all four cards in a one SD slot at one time. Speaking as somebody who used to carry around two 512MB cards (one for MP3s and one for video), the card swapping thing gets old fast.

2. Untrue. My Lifedrive typically takes one second or less the first time it launches most applications. After this, the application remains cached in the LD's memory and will launch instantly, just like on any other PalmOS device. Bloated and slow aplications, like AvantGo, rarely need more than three seconds to load and retrieve data.

3. It depends on your needs. Hacked Wi-fi can be unstable. And the LD's big screen looks great and makes video, document editing, and e-book reading a joy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    The 72 and 650 have the same processor.
    The 650's NVFS Ram is a little slower and the GMS/GPRS radio adds a little overhead. So you can expect the 72 to be a little faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican
    2. Untrue. My Lifedrive typically takes one second or less the first time it launches most applications. After this, the application remains cached in the LD's memory and will launch instantly, just like on any other PalmOS device. Bloated and slow aplications, like AvantGo, rarely need more than three seconds to load and retrieve data.
    I was told that the LD doesn't actually have any real RAM. That 64 MB of memory is just a sectioned off piece of the hard drive and that is why it can be slow. If you look on the specs it does not use the word RAM anywhere when referring to memory:

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/m...rive/specs.epl

memory
    4GB hard drive (3.85GB accessible to user)
    64MB (55.1MB available to user) for Palm OS applications and data
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast