Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    This might be a stupid question, but can you turn off the radio on a Treo 650 and just leave it plugged in without using it for 2 weeks straight? What would be the risk? Would it be better to just keep it on standby and let the battery drain down?

    I'm off on vacation tonight (to the rainforest where I wouldn't want to bring my Treo) and I'm trying to figure out how I should leave my precious Treo so that it will be safe and sound when I get back.

    Any input? I figure I can leave it plugged in, leave it on standby or take out its battery.
  2. #2  
    i'd leave it plugged in... no worries.
  3. #3  
    Worst case, your battery is toast, likely nothing, enjoy the trip !
  4. #4  
    Assuming you are plugging it into a surge protector there should be no problems.
  5. #5  
    I see you may be use to Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries which absorb an over charge and ruin the battery. You dont have to worry about that with lithium-ion batteries. They do not absorb energy after reaching a full charge, nor do they develop memory so you dont have to let them drain completely once a week. Although I did read somewhere that the life of the battery will be longer if it spends more time with a fuller charge rather than near dead.

    I remember this information from years ago when I had a phone with a Nickel-Metal Hydride battery but never take my word on anything heres some info on it battery info
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    They do not absorb energy after reaching a full charge, nor do they develop memory so you dont have to let them drain completely once a week. Although I did read somewhere that the life of the battery will be longer if it spends more time with a fuller charge rather than near dead.
    A few corrections:

    1) Lithium-Ion cells are actually destroyed (explosively) by over-charging -- BUT the charging circuits make sure that doesn't happen. (so don't panic, leaving it plugged in is fine)

    2) The life of the battery is longest if stored around 40% charge. (Ever wonder why new gadgets come halfway charged?) There is a yearly, permanent, degredation regardless of use, but it is affected by temperature and charge level. For long-term storage of unused lion batteries, discharge to 40% and put in fridge.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    A few corrections
    See, I told you not to take my word on it, Thanks DrWowe

    And I totaly agree with Big Tone whether the Treo is plugged in for a minute or a week I would always use a surge protector.
  8.    #8  
    Thank you all for the input. I think I will leave it plugged in into my best surge protector. I'm sure I'll be in culture shock walking through a jungle without my Treo, or any other high tech toys.
  9. #9  
    If you don't need it to be on, why not just remove the battery? Then you won't lose any data (NVFS), and the battery won't lose any charge.
  10. #10  
    I also agree. If your're planning to store the Tro for any length of time it would be best to just remove the battey.
    Also this way the Treo isn't sounding alarms or doing anything else scheduled or automatic. It's basically 'off.'
    However, leaving it plugged in should not cause it harm.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  11. #11  
    The Treo 650 User Manual says:

    Charge your Treo whenever you’re at your desk, or charge it overnight each day.
    The Li-Ion battery in your Treo has a much longer useful life when it is topped off
    frequently, versus charging it after it is fully drained.

    It also says that it takes 4 hours to fully charge.

    Since PalmOne recommends charging overnite (longer than 4 hours), it appears that it doesn't matter how long you keep it plugged in to the wall

Posting Permissions