Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Hey all, I was planning on purchasing the 650 when Verizon releases it on the 23rd. I think in theory this product can really help me but I'm very concerned that I don't have the technical know how shown by so many members here. I don't want to invest in the 650 just to have this thing take over my life. The technical problems that you all seem to be dealing with and solving really worry me. Obviously, these types of forums will be an asset but I'm still concerned. I have never owned a smartphone. I'll need to rely on this machine for business. Am I just researching this too much and getting myself worked up for nothing? Any thoughts are welcome.
    Take it for the 15 day spin(verizon's trial period) and see what happens. I bought one even after reading mediocre reviews, it was the only smartphone that had what I needed. Mine works fine so far. The newer released models probably have a lot of the bugs worked out.

Read carefully though as to what NOT to add to your phone if you rely on it for business. Sometimes the software added causes the problems. Watch out for beta software, sometimes while the bugs are being worked out, the Treo may become unstable. I haven't added anything yet and only plan on adding well known business-related apps. I rely on it for business too, and don't need any resets or lock-ups.

Good luck!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Like Lady Treo says you have the 15 day spin but dont be intimidated if you dont have it all figured out in 15 days. All the posts about issues does make it seem like to much time is burnt on these devices. But keep in mind a great deal of the individuals on this board have over a dozen 3rd party applications unrelated to buisness apps. And you can guess that for every 10 apps you add your bound to find some type of bug.

I think you have nothing to worry about. Your right this board is a great asset. I have been able to find answers so far for every question I have had.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    If you are reading this board, you have the savvy to solve most of the problems you might have. Just go slow on the third party software and learn to use the search function on the board.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    you can do as much or as little as you want.. the harder you push it the more complicated it becomes. most folks issues (IMO) come from changes or 3rd paty stuff.. give it a shot and run the learning curve at your own speed
    Everyone who has posted above me is spot-on. Try it for 15 days and if you like it, keep it. You'll find this board very helpful and the search function here is a wonderful tool for newcomers. Also, once you find a set of 3rd party applications you are happy with, your Treo will become pretty stable. I don't add too many new things now and I rarely have resets anymore. Experimentation with the latest/greatest apps can give you resets, but that goes with the territory. There are far more happy Treo users than not. Don't go by opinion on this board alone since many people posting here are looking to resolve a problem. That's not a reflection of the "average" user and I'm sure most are very pleased with their 650.
    I read all the Sprint user problems for three months in this forum (I was an AT&T user and waiting for the GSM model) -- and then bought the Sprint 650 anyway ( I got tired of waiting).

I have had NONE of the listed problems. This forum slants towards power users and people looking for answers. -- so do not let the lack of "positive posts" scare you.

I agree with all the above. Plunge in. You will love the Treo 650. Start with the basic applications and that provided on the Treo CD software. It is usally the 3rd party apps that start giving us fits. Try one at a time, when you are ready -- so you know who the culprit is.

And if you do run into problems -- check in here. The situation has probably already been posted, discussed and resolved.

May I also suggest: Treonauts.com. Andrew's blog is full of user tips and best of breed reviews of software for the Treo 650. (Read the current month and prior months.) It has been great stuff for me.

One thing you will learn: we Treo users are a passionate lot -- and that is our advantage -- we have each other.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/15/2005 at 08:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I think the advice shared by all is quite sound and much appreciated. I'm looking forward to purchasing my 650 on the 23rd!
    A couple of apps I'd like to add are Agendus...as I believe it will sync w/ my ACT! software and Pocket Express. Are these typically an issue? Do they cause problems?
    Hi Justin! I would do a search in the software threads section for those software titles. You should find the relevant discussions there.

I am using Handmark Express on my Treo 650 from Sprint. No problems to report, other than sometimes it takes Handmark Express a long (5-10 seconds) time to "disconnect" from the SD card when I hit the home button on the Treo (when I am in Handmark Express) to move on to a different piece of software. Other times the request is instantaneous.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/15/2005 at 07:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I can't find that site. can you direct me further?
    Sorry, spelling error: treonauts.com

(Read my addtion on Handmark Express above, as well.)

Cheers, Perry