Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had the thing tested for 14-days through Sprint.

I'm a simple user. Personal use. No need to link up to Exchange. Pure personal use. All I needed to install was Verichat. I wanted to be able to keep in touch with my friends through AIM.

Everything looked great. Screen was awesome. I didn't mind the small keyboard because I liked the overall smallish size of the phone. I loved how the text messages are lined up as convos. The touch screen is lovely. I rarely used the stylus. Voice quality and reception were awesome. Speakerphone and other phone functionalities were slick and fun.

But I ran into issues and I went through three different phones (brand spanking new):

-Bad "p" key
    -Crooked LCD screen
    -Bad "w" key
    -Random resets
    -Predictable resets
    -Versamail fails to autosync
    -Sucks you can't save photos to the SD card automatically

I work for a company called Microsoft so for me to go after the Treo took some guts. I didn't care if it worked well, but it didn't. I'd have to be careful to avoid using other apps while in the middle of chatting because sometimes if the chat alert popped up, my Treo would either freeze or reset.

This happened predictably. Other times, but not so frequently, I'd just switch from internal screens and do whatever and the sucker freezes again.

I had over 18.5MB left. Adding photos eats that up. E-mail eats that up. Memory management is just too much discipline. Shouldn't have to be that way.

If the Treo 650 was $300, I'd deal with the issues and say I'll eat that cost and upgrade when newer and better comes out. I ended up paying retail because I just didn't have any incentives coming my way. With the release of Microsoft's mobile OS and just how much better it's going to get, $650 is a lot to swallow because I'm not the kind to just keep the old cuz it's working. I like to upgrade up to the latest goods to a certain extent.

I'm not here to say what you guys have spent your money on sucks. Just sharing with everyone that I gave it a try, but IMO, PalmOne needs to go back to the drawing board and put out an OS that's a lot more stable and greater vendor support to put together some quality software that works without hiccups.

Throw all the Windows jokes you want, but this whole experience with the Palm unit has made me appreciate our platform all the more.

Cheers,
    BENJMNS
    Quote Originally Posted by BENJMNS
    I had the thing tested for 14-days through Sprint.

I'm a simple user. Personal use. No need to link up to Exchange. Pure personal use. All I needed to install was Verichat. I wanted to be able to keep in touch with my friends through AIM.

Everything looked great. Screen was awesome. I didn't mind the small keyboard because I liked the overall smallish size of the phone. I loved how the text messages are lined up as convos. The touch screen is lovely. I rarely used the stylus. Voice quality and reception were awesome. Speakerphone and other phone functionalities were slick and fun.

But I ran into issues and I went through three different phones (brand spanking new):

-Bad "p" key
    -Crooked LCD screen
    -Bad "w" key
    -Random resets
    -Predictable resets
    -Versamail fails to autosync
    -Sucks you can't save photos to the SD card automatically

I work for a company called Microsoft so for me to go after the Treo took some guts. I didn't care if it worked well, but it didn't. I'd have to be careful to avoid using other apps while in the middle of chatting because sometimes if the chat alert popped up, my Treo would either freeze or reset.

This happened predictably. Other times, but not so frequently, I'd just switch from internal screens and do whatever and the sucker freezes again.

I had over 18.5MB left. Adding photos eats that up. E-mail eats that up. Memory management is just too much discipline. Shouldn't have to be that way.

If the Treo 650 was $300, I'd deal with the issues and say I'll eat that cost and upgrade when newer and better comes out. I ended up paying retail because I just didn't have any incentives coming my way. With the release of Microsoft's mobile OS and just how much better it's going to get, $650 is a lot to swallow because I'm not the kind to just keep the old cuz it's working. I like to upgrade up to the latest goods to a certain extent.

I'm not here to say what you guys have spent your money on sucks. Just sharing with everyone that I gave it a try, but IMO, PalmOne needs to go back to the drawing board and put out an OS that's a lot more stable and greater vendor support to put together some quality software that works without hiccups.

Throw all the Windows jokes you want, but this whole experience with the Palm unit has made me appreciate our platform all the more.

Cheers,
    BENJMNS
    Like you said, its your opinion. On some of the things you mentioned, I agree. On others, I dont know. I havent upgraded so I have a soft spot for 'us' who are waiting for the next version. Good luck with the PPC...it has its issues too. Nothing is perfect.
  3.    #3  
    FYI, I went to a Sidekick II. Very reliable. Does exactly what I need.
    BENJMNS,a good defense is a good offense... I believe you said bring on the windows jokes.... Let us leave it at that...
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    Sidekick II?? YUCK! You'd have been better off with a PPC I think!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    FYI, I went to a Sidekick II. Very reliable. Does exactly what I need.
    Funny you should say that... heard rumors past few days that M$ is looking into Danger. Your people are looking into their books...Could it be?

Ctrl+Alt+Del keys on smart/pda phone thanks to M$ - God help us!

- Blades
    Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
    Treo650 got issues like any smartphone in the market, but at the end of the day Treo650 is best of all. No idea why you would not go through extra step to move pictures to card (I have no problem with that). Yes memory issue is valid with treo series but I think it can be cope with SD cards (which almost everyone got).
    For me verichat is must and I had only one reset for last 4 months when I upgraded it. So you see you had bad week or day my friend, its not common. I use it frequently, most of the times checking my email, listening to radio (on ptunes) and browsing at the same time (thanks to fast connection of sprint).
    If you dreaming about microsoft next upgrade will be ground breaking, let see how many people migrate to microsoft then :-). Good luck with your journey with Microsoft.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
  8.    #8  
    Thx for keeping it relatively civil, though some of the internet nerd is coming out of a few of you.

I love Microsoft. It's great to work for the wealthiest company in the history of the world. Tons of resources. Smart people. Ambitious as ever. Learning a lot.

SKII is awesome. Wow. The unit is made in Japan. Did not know that. Having a lot of fun with it with no worries about random resets. Working well for me.
    If your happy with what you have now...great. I love the treo but for the 650, you have to set things up right.

Bottom line-the treo does so much for me in such a small package...
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

.....but IMO, PalmOne needs to go back to the drawing board and put out an OS that's a lot more stable and greater vendor support to put together some quality software that works without hiccups....
    I certainly agree with this (as I'm sure the most die-hard Treo owner/user will). But I just don't get one thing - why do we put up with it? We need another Boston Tea Party - Palm-style.

I've had my Treo since May 5 and I've had to call Rogers Wireless Canadian tech support (which is in Manila, eh!) almost every day. Hardware issues. Software conflicts. Glitches. Resets, resets, resets. I've had four or five other Palm units that worked flawlessly in all respects. What happened here? Why does this thing require so many workarounds and 3rd party apps just to do the job for which we bought it? (For this I gave up a Sony Clié, Blackberry 7280, and Razr V3 road warrior set-up?)

Yes I'm keeping my Treo. But the 'support community' (and I respect all of you immensely) that has been built around this smart(?)phone just to get it to work is something that I have never seen before - for audio equipment, digital cameras, exotic sports cars, etc.

IMHO, Palm simply doesn't deserve such loyalty because it is not reciprocated.

Well, back to the 'Search' function! I'm absolutely confident that by Christmas I will have this Treo-650 working almost perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by cockroachfarm
    I certainly agree with this (as I'm sure the most die-hard Treo owner/user will). But I just don't get one thing - why do we put up with it?
    It's the bonding that takes place. Knowing that we can come together and hold hands, and know deep in our hearts, tomorrow will be a better day.

Can I get an amen?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    If your happy with what you have now...great. I love the treo but for the 650, you have to set things up right.

Bottom line-the treo does so much for me in such a small package...
    Yes, setting things up right. The reason why I brought up the fact that I'm a simple user is just that. I'm not such a techno-dweeb that I can't have an appreciation for "setting things up right".

1) I bought a brand new Treo 650 at the Sprint store.
    2) I upgraded to 1.08 following the very nice and simple instructions on PalmOne's site.
    3) I licensed and loaded Verichat 2.82
    4) I began to use

That's it. Yet it still resets and bugs out both randomly and predicatbly.

Anyways, I'm stepping off my soap box now. Thanks for listening. I'm glad it's working out for many of you. I can see through this user group that it's more than the Treo itself. It IS the bonding and how you guys can come together to provide free assistance. Quality level varies quite a bit, but it's something. It's home.
    Where's my amen?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Where's my amen?
    AMEN!
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    AMEN!
    Seconded
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Where's my amen?
    Amen, Brother Insertion!!! Preach, Preach!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Gentlemen, it's fine to offer your "amen," but let's not forget "awomen."
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    3) I licensed and loaded Verichat 2.82
    4) I began to use

That's it. Yet it still resets and bugs out both randomly and predicatbly.
    You've gone on to the SideKick so it's probably a moot point. For future reference though, some of the latest versions of Verichat were causing resets when on in background mode (especially if you had the sms background mode enabled.). As others have mentioned, typically with the treo (or most other devices) it's the 3rd party software and not anything inherent in the device that may cause your issue. The SideKick is bound to be much more stable, now this may be because the device itself is much more stable (I think this is possible but unlikely) or it may be because you are now closed in and limited to many fewer applications.

I realize that at the end of the day, a person may not care whether they caused the problem they see with their device, they only care that there is a problem. In this regard, a SideKick may be a better fit for you.
    Cheers,
    BENJMNS
    Sounds like you make a good choice for your needs. I, for one, will applaud you because you know what you want. The Sidekick probably natively addresses those needs in a more stable, if not better, manner than the Treo. Good luck!
    I think maybe you need to RTFM. I save Treo pics to the SD card automatically, no problem at all. Don't even need any 3rd party software to do it.

For a beer, I'll even tell you how ;-)
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast