Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cockroachfarm
    I certainly agree with this (as I'm sure the most die-hard Treo owner/user will). But I just don't get one thing - why do we put up with it? We need another Boston Tea Party - Palm-style.
    I don't know why you do put up with it. My 650 (Sprint) works nearly perfectly. Oh, it resets maybe once a week, mostly when acessing one particular web site with Blazer. If I don't go to that site, I bet I don't reset more than once a month. If you have lots of resets, you have bad software. Don't blame Palm because you run sucky programs on their platform.

Versamail sucks. I certainly feel that way. But there are several replacements that are much better.

If your keyboard is bad, take the Treo back for a replacement--mine gives me no problems.

I tried out a sidekick once. I think it sucks. It's the size of a brick, uncomfortable as a phone, too big to fit in my pocket, and almost no exandability. Switching between phone and PDA functions is also awkwared. But if it floats your boat, I have no complaint. You won't find me in a Sidekick forum *****ing at people who don't care.

I've also tried a couple of MS equipped phones and PDAs. Poor battery life, clunky interface that takes three times as many clicks, taps and menu selections to accomplish anything, bulky size, and no more stable than a Palm. Maybe the new OS will be better, time will tell. There are lots of things that could be better with the Palm OS, but it still beats any of the MS options for ease of use.

Frankly, I don't care what phone or PDA you use. But I do wonder what motivates you to go online to tell us that you think the Treo, a device that most of us are happy with, sucks. (Guess what? I value my own opinion at lot more than yours. LOL) It's kinda of like pissing in another kid's sandbox. What's the point?

If you don't like the Treo, just take your Sidekick and go find a Sidekick sandbox to play in. I won't waste my time following you there to criticize your choice.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I agree about the Sidekick. I would use a PPC before I use those gross things! I have seen much better devices that do the same functions as a Sidekick, the Treo included. PPC also. The Sidekick is basically a wanna-be PDA for people who want to do entry level PDA stuff.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by BENJMNS
    But I ran into issues and I went through three different phones (brand spanking new):

-Bad "p" key
    -Crooked LCD screen
    -Bad "w" key
    -Random resets
    -Predictable resets
    -Versamail fails to autosync
    -Sucks you can't save photos to the SD card automatically

I didn't care if it worked well, but it didn't. I'd have to be careful to avoid using other apps while in the middle of chatting because sometimes if the chat alert popped up, my Treo would either freeze or reset.

I had over 18.5MB left. Adding photos eats that up. E-mail eats that up. Memory management is just too much discipline. Shouldn't have to be that way.

BENJMNS

I have fixes to all your problems except the crooked screen and bad "p" and "w" keys - for those you'd need to exchange your unit.

Verichat predictible crashings - You were using version 2.82. It was a mess and even crashed my Treo 600. Version 2.83b resolved ALL those problems for me. I chat about an hour a day and haven't had it crash on me once since upgrading to 2.83b about a month ago. Presently, I am trying 2.84b and it looks promising (latest beta).

Email - Try Snappermail (snappermail.com) latest version 2.2.6.01, does all the stuff reliably & will store your email on the SD card. Just stay away from versions 2.2.5.x and 2.2.4.x...some quirks in those, but versions prior are ok.

Pictures & Video - Is very easy to save directly to SD card. When in pics or video, In the bottom right-hand corner of the pic or video application you see the word "unfiled." Tap this and a menu pops up. If you have an SD card in you will see a dotted line and then another "unfiled". Choose that, and all your pics & videos will be saved to the card directly. You can even create folders to manage your pics, either in memory or on the SD card (just tap Manage Albums below the second dotted line in the menu).

I use all kinds of apps now, on version 1.08 Sprint, and only have a few random resets (less than once every couple days unless I am testing new apps). The key is not to install many new apps all at once. That way, you will know what is causing your problems.
    Last edited by HandyDJs.com; 05/13/2005 at 04:36 PM.
    Don't be too quick to dismiss the Sidekick. Yes, they're big. Yes, they're ugly. Yes, they're mediocre as a PDA, and as a phone. But that's not what it was built for. It's a mobile messaging platform.

And at that it excels. The Sidekick has by far the best keyboard in the business. It has a well thought out user interface. And it *never* crashes. While it's not expandable, it comes with everything most users need.

The Treo really serves a different market. It's primarily a phone and PDA, and it serves a market that requires these functions. As a mobile messaging platform, the Treo is weak. Most of the mobile data capabilities offered by the Sidekick require third party software on the Treo. So if what one wants is first and foremost a mobile data device (perhaps one that serves as a PDA and a phone) that just works the Sidekick is probably the best thing on the market.

Until recently, I had a Sidekick; I was forced to switch by a combination of poor coverage and poor service. I wish I could have kept it. Although the Treo has distinct advantages, the Sidekick met my needs far better than the Treo does.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by doomsey
    Don't be too quick to dismiss the Sidekick. Yes, they're big. Yes, they're ugly. Yes, they're mediocre as a PDA, and as a phone. But that's not what it was built for. It's a mobile messaging platform.

And at that it excels. The Sidekick has by far the best keyboard in the business. It has a well thought out user interface. And it *never* crashes. While it's not expandable, it comes with everything most users need.

The Treo really serves a different market. It's primarily a phone and PDA, and it serves a market that requires these functions. As a mobile messaging platform, the Treo is weak. Most of the mobile data capabilities offered by the Sidekick require third party software on the Treo. So if what one wants is first and foremost a mobile data device (perhaps one that serves as a PDA and a phone) that just works the Sidekick is probably the best thing on the market.

Until recently, I had a Sidekick; I was forced to switch by a combination of poor coverage and poor service. I wish I could have kept it. Although the Treo has distinct advantages, the Sidekick met my needs far better than the Treo does.
    A level-headed fellow. Thx.

There are definitely limitations on customizing the interface on the Danger phone. It really feels like a Macintosh to me. Pretty interface. Does its thing.

If you're into modifying, installing, developing apps, then the Treo 650 is it. But I have stated clearly what my needs are and it falls grossly short, though I do wish there was a better way to streamline the sucker w/o having to dive into the depths of the internet to get expert feedback (like here with the handful).

As for the meyer individual, I wasn't saying anything about your family or your friends. I was talking about an inanimate object that I'm assuming you did not have a hand in creating or were incented to develop in the first place. Simmer down, man.

MS definitely has things it needs to work on, but don't they all. We'll be in the thick of things, no doubt.
    Different people have different needs and requirements. I am happy that Sidekick II works for you.

The market is all about choices. Some like apples, other like oranges. As long as we have choices, we are all better off because of it.

My wife and I are very happy with our Treo 650s. Stable and reliable. And Verichat is awesome.
    I got rid of my sidekick II for my treo....you have no support for third party software on the sk2. and you will be experiencing plenty resets on your sk2. I admit I miss the coolness factor, the keyboard, and the amazing and reliable AIM application, but its terrible as a phone...has poor reception, and tmobiles sidekick data is out way too often leaving sk users with no data.
    u mentioned the memory issue with the treo..well the sk2 has low memory too. and it can't even hold/play mp3s. IMO you made a terrible choice.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    oh and not to mention absolutely no javascript support in web browsing and having to BUY all games and ringtones from tmobile.

I don't mean to bash the sk..i had the original and then the sk2 and loved them for a long time..i eventually wanted more and had to grow up a little bit. if the sk3 happens to fix some of the problems...id most definitly check it out
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    My friend has an SK, she needs a separate phone to answer calls! She can only use the SK for email because the phone is so bad. And she has had 2 that were both messed up from heavy usage!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Where's my amen?
    And one more 'Amen!'
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Don't blame Palm because you run sucky programs on their platform.....Versamail sucks....If your keyboard is bad...what motivates you to go online to tell us that you think the Treo, a device that most of us are happy with, sucks...... just take your Sidekick and go find a Sidekick sandbox......
    ROFLMAO!!!

How's that ESL program at the local community center working out for you?

1. I have installed no other programs - using it straight out of the box.
    2. Not using Versamail.
    3. Didn't say a thing about the keyboard.
    4. Never said the Treo 'sucks' (or I wouldn't have bought one after searching this forum for a month) - but it certainly IS difficult to configure. No?
    5. Never mentioned Sidekick. Don't even know what it is.

Read _MY_ post again and then sign up quickly for another ESL course. They might even teach Diplomacy-101 at the same school.

Stop the flames.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12