1.    #1  
    I had about 5 minutes to play with the first Treo 650 I have actually seen, at the Sprint booth at GTC in Sacramento. I liked the keyboard itself, but the backlighting was way bright, and I think I like the 600's layout better. OTOH, maybe that's just because I'm used to it, having had mine for over 13 months.

The screen is definitely much nicer that the 600's, and the camera looks much better on the screen. Colors are brighter and I think there are more of them. (But you can get close on the 600 by using the color saturation setting in TCPMP.) What I did not like is that the 650 is tnoticeably thicker than the 600 - yes, I know that you can replace the battery a lot easier in the 650, but there is a cost.

I know that's pretty superficial, but now I feel justified in not buying one and waiting for the next generation.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    What I did not like is that the 650 is tnoticeably thicker than the 600 - yes, I know that you can replace the battery a lot easier in the 650, but there is a cost.

I know that's pretty superficial, but now I feel justified in not buying one and waiting for the next generation.
    Noticeably thicker? You either have the most extremely sensitive hands and keen eyesight, or you're mistaken.

I have both, if anything the 600 is thicker (and only by the tiniest of margins.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Copied from PalmOnes site:

Treo 650

size
    4.4 x 2.3 x 0.9 inches

Treo 600

size
    4.4 x 2.4 x 0.9 inches

MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The screen brightness can be turned up and down you know. The screen goes from way way dimmer than the 600 (easy on the eyes in even a pitch dark room unlike the 600) to extremely bright. Treo 650 has like 4 levels of brightness, the Treo 600 has something like 64 levels (not really sure, but it's many more intermediate levels.) The screen is also viewable in direct sunlight.

Asthetics are only a small part of the benefit to upgrade. However, if the Treo 600 is working for you, I agree there is no need whatsoever to upgrade.
    I did it for the inreased (screen) resolution and faster processor for web browsing. Also the EDGE support (4-5x faster than GPRS.) Bluetooth is nice, but not worth it for the upgrade alone. If none of these features are important to you, then there's no need to upgrade.
    I'm sure we'll be hearing PalmOne's next smartphone surprise in the months ahead, skipping the 650 is not a bad idea if you can stand it (I couldn't, I gave in and got it.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Noticeably thicker? That's a new one. The things are the same size as Insertion has, um, inserted into his post.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    The screen brightness can be turned up and down you know. The screen goes from way way dimmer than the 600 (easy on the eyes in even a pitch dark room unlike the 600) to extremely bright. Treo 650 has like 4 levels of brightness, the Treo 600 has something like 64 levels (not really sure, but it's many more intermediate levels.) The screen is also viewable in direct sunlight.

Asthetics are only a small part of the benefit to upgrade. However, if the Treo 600 is working for you, I agree there is no need whatsoever to upgrade.
    I did it for the inreased (screen) resolution and faster processor for web browsing. Also the EDGE support (4-5x faster than GPRS.) Bluetooth is nice, but not worth it for the upgrade alone. If none of these features are important to you, then there's no need to upgrade.
    I'm sure we'll be hearing PalmOne's next smartphone surprise in the months ahead, skipping the 650 is not a bad idea if you can stand it (I couldn't, I gave in and got it.)
    I think this post is a good one to point to for all the people who ask "Should I upgrade?", "Should I take the plunge?" or "Is the 650 worth it?".
    I will, however, add that if you don't already have a Treo and you're considering the 600 vs. the 650, I'd give you a firm nudge toward the 650. For a first time buyer I think the extra money is worth it for the improved overall experience.
    This is more true for the Cingular (and TMobile where EDGE is available) users where EDGE vs. GPRS is such a big leap in download speed. For the Sprint and Verizon people, I think the 600 and 650 download rate is the same. While this isn't the only reason, it's a significant one.

But for the upgrader, it boils down to this one question:
    Is there something on the 600 that is limiting you from getting what you want out of it, and is that improved on the 650? Is it worth $500 or whatever?
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    The screen alone is worth it. The Treo 600 looks like crap.
    $700 for a new unlocked 650

$1,200 yr. for unlimited anytime anywhere voice plan

$300 yr. for unlimited data

$150 yr. for taxes that NO ONE knows what they're for

Being able to take out your daily verbal frustration out on your Treo for auto-reset rather yelling at your work place - Priceless !

- Blades

PRICELESS!
    Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
    There are reasons to upgrade to the 650, and as mentioned earlier, the screen is the top one. Put a treo next to any modern PDA with a high res screen. The comparison will make you instantly go for the 650. The camera, bluetooth, and other improvements are just icing on the cake.
  11.    #11  
    It sure seemed thicker to me, and the Sprint rep, who owns a Treo 600, agreed that the 650 was thicker.

I have tons of software running on my 600. It's like having a full-featured computer on my hip. But I am truly amazed that most problems with web sites seem to be on sites that specialize in Palm OS software, which are difficult or impossible to use with browsers runnning on the Treo 600 (I have 3). No problems downloading from Freewarepalm, however.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I have a 600 at home. I'll try to take a comparison shot of their thickness.
    I loved my 600, upgraded to the 650 mostly for the screen improvements, and have had zero regrets. The 650 was a great upgrade.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Yeah, the 650's screen is the #1 reason to upgrade. I didn't like my 600's screen at all. Instantly, that is the one thing that bugged me for the entire year I had it. But look on the bright side, after owning it for a year (original price paid $400 plus signed 2-yr contract w/ Sprint), I sold my 600 to a friend for $300 cash. Used it to pay off most of the $400 I invested in the 650. To me, it cost $100 to upgrade (or a $100 usage fee for a year of the Treo 600 -- very well worth it).

The faster speed is probably the next major point -- well that and the ability to Bluetooth. BT headsets are a godsend to the road warrior.