Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Hey everyone,

I'm going to be going with my girlfriend for a weekend stay in New York City. I'm bringing my laptop with us for the drive (from Northern Virginia) that has Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 with the GPS adapter. What I wanted to know is if there is any way that I can install a GPS program on my Treo 650 smartphone so that when we're walking throughout the city and want to find where something is or how to get to the next subway stop, etc. we can quickly pull up our coordinates on a program and find where we're at.

I've looked briefly at these TomTom navigation packages, etc. and I see that they seem to add some sort of dock to the phone itself. I'm assuming there's no way to use your cell phone's location for GPS and that with any navigation/map software, you need an external (either bluetooth or wired) GPS receiver?

Any help is much appreciated!
    Shahrum Amiri
    Treo 680 Cingular
    Right, you'd need a GPS receiver for the Treo.
    1 | 2
    I recently bought this package http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/tona20usawig.html

**The GPS unit is very small and has a case that can be attached to your belt, I recently used it in Los Angelis to find my way to an office downtown with no problems, I had never been to L.A before...also found parking within seconds of arriving by pulling up POI's for parking.

There is no dock with the BT338 GPS..it is simply that tiny unit and your Treo with TomTom software and maps you need loaded to SD card
    If you are going to stay mainly in Manhattan, its arranged like a grid so its very easy to navigate. If you goto the outer boroughs, thats another thing.
    Don't bother. I just did a 4 day trip to NYC and quite frankly, in Manhattan you don't need GPS to figure out exactly where you are as long as you have a good map on your Treo. The street signs and numberings are super simple to figure out where you are.
    Additionally, you'll look like a *tool* walking down the street with a GPS receiver.
    What I did ended up doing worked out better than expected. I installed "Rough Guide" and "Tube Pro" for New York City.
    http://www.visualit.co.uk/roughguides/palm/palm_nyc.htm
    http://www.visualit.co.uk/palm_tubenycpro.htm

"Rough Guide" has a great street level map and even marks the subway stops with an "M" icon so you know what corner the subway entrances are on. RG also includes a basic subway map, but don't use it, use Tube, also made by the same company.

"Tube" is a more sophisticated subway map that includes a trip planner. This application will tell you everything you need to know about what subway trains to take where. I only made 1 mistake when I got on an express instead of a local train and had to backtrack a few stops (my dumbness.)
    Note: Tap and hold the stylus down on the subway map to get the pop up map which lets you do the route planning. I didn't discover this right away.

What's great is that you can look things up on the map and to everyone else on the street you're just playing with your cell phone like everyone else, not looking like the dumb tourist with a big map, nor do you have to stand and drool in front of a subway map in the station calling attention to the fact that you aren't from around there. No doubt you'll stand out as a tourist (we all do, there's no avoiding it,) but I'm very self conscious about looking 'lost' in a big city. I'd rather look like a visitor that has some idea where he's going rather than a wandering tourist

Note, the NYPD is going to start a public awareness campaign to let people know that ipods and cell phones are the target of most subway robberies and theft of these devices is on the rise because popularity of them is on the rise. So just be aware of your surroundings before you pull it out of your pocket (because you won't have it on your belt where someone can snag it, right?) Don't get me wrong, I used it on and around subway trains, just use it to figure out where you're going and then put it away.
    I don't mean to make you paranoid, it's not like you won't feel completely safe, it just helps to know what is not a good idea to be doing down there.

The catch to RG and Tubes is that they take up a LOT of memory (about 50-55%.) I had to temporarily remove most of the apps from my Treo (and move what I could to the card.) With still not enough memory I installed the 1.21 beta firmware update for GSM and this helped tremendously with memory management. I was then able to fit both on with memory to spare.

So when all is said and done, it may not fit in Treo memory. RG or Tube, I don't remember which takes up most of the memory, the other is relatively small. It includes a lot of outside-Manhattan maps you don't need and can probably not-install.

Oh yeah, and the two apps together will set you back a few bucks. But the were well worth it. I did a ton of walking and subway riding (Big fan of the 1-day unlimited subway pass.) and these two apps were ESSENTIAL.
    Last edited by taylorh; 05/12/2005 at 03:42 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    d/l metro if you haven't already...helped me get around NYC flawlessly...very helpful and free.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23
    d/l metro if you haven't already...helped me get around NYC flawlessly...very helpful and free.
    http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseac...=1&prodID=4869

If you ever need to ride BART in the San Francisco area,
    http://www.bart.gov/stations/quickPlanner/pda.asp
    This is the official one and it's free.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Wow, that's for all of the help!

Let me clarify so I make sure I understand:

RG is for walking on streets help
    and
    Tube is for subway navigation help?

Correct?
    Shahrum Amiri
    Treo 680 Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by shahrum
    Wow, that's for all of the help!

Let me clarify so I make sure I understand:

RG is for walking on streets help
    and
    Tube is for subway navigation help?

Correct?
    Yes, exactly.
    RG contains very detailed street level maps (helps with walking.)
    Tubes is very detialed subway line informaiton.
    RG also includes basic subway map, and Tubes also includes a basic street map, but they are rather basic so it's best to use both. RG also includes some tourist info on major destinations.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Also use Google Local:
    http://local.google.com/
    To look things up.
    There is also the mobile version http://www.google.com/xhtml
    But I ended up using the normal local.google.com more because there resulting map is bigger and more useful. I actually used both a little bit depending on what I was looking up. The full google local isn't painful to use at all on Cingular EDGE in blazer.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    They're right - you don't need a GPS in Manhattan.

But for the love of God PLEASE PLEASE you & your girlfriend go to any hole in the wall pizzaria in NYC! That alone will make your trip! Damn wish I was there right this second! To get the true taste just eat a slice of cheese.

Have fun in NYC hamshari

- Blades
    Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
    Shahrum, by the way, nice blog site. I like the site design, layout, and it's very asthetically pleasing. I hope you don't mind if I 'borrow' some of your design
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Shahrum, by the way, nice blog site. I like the site design, layout, and it's very asthetically pleasing. I hope you don't mind if I 'borrow' some of your design
    I second that. Nice blog site Shahrum.

- Blades
    Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
    1. I repeat the suggestion to get MetrO, a free program that is great for the NYC subway (and many other cities of the world):

http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseac...=1&prodID=4869

2. There are many 'map' and info programs for NYC. Check these out:

http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseac...ord=new%20york

3. Don't go to just any 'hole in the wall' pizzeria - go to the best 'hole in the wall' --- John's Pizzaria on Bleeker Street (use the subway stop off Avenue of the America)

4. Be sure to check out J and R - great place for gadgets galore.

5. Be sure to check out B and H Photo (closed Sat but open Sun - run by Hassidic Jews I think)

6. Lastly, after you go to John's, walk over to the Apple Store in Soho - it is one of premier sites for the Mac (and fun even if you're a PC guy).
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Thanks all for the blog compliments And the suggestions of places to visit as well!

I'm going to give some of these apps a try tonight and decide on what to take!
    Shahrum Amiri
    Treo 680 Cingular
    I live in the NYC area and have Tom TOm. Due to the size of all the skyscrapers, it hardly works in Manhattan. Not Tom Tom's fault, just GPS in general. The signal can't be received well due to all the obstructions from the gigantic buildings. Same happened to me in Boston (I'm sure in all big cities).
    You can also download a trial version of Vindigo and add the information for New York. I just went 2 weeks ago and used it with Metro. Both programs worked great. As previously stated here...you don't need a GPS in New York, unlike DC.

Have fun!
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    You can also download a trial version of Vindigo and add the information for New York. I just went 2 weeks ago and used it with Metro. Both programs worked great. As previously stated here...you don't need a GPS in New York, unlike DC.

Have fun!
    I was going to recommend Vindigo too. I use this program often and it's terrific!
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Yep, one more shout-out to Vindigo, great to find shops, restos, movie listings... good and maps for everything.
    -mbd26
    I hadn't experienced Vindigo yet. Very cool. I'll have to give it a test drive. Thanks for all of the great suggestions everyone.
    Nothing to add for the gps. Vindigo is very cool, you'll like it.

I've lived in NY all my life so:
    Screw J&R, they suck. It's huge and fun to look around but spend your $ elsewhere.
    Pizza: We take it personally and everybody's got a favorite. Hop on over the Brooklyn Bridge to brookyn's first stop and find your way to Front street. Patsy Grimaldi's Pizzaria. Amongst the best on the planet. No slices tho. Order slightly well done, and ask for your drinks and anything else you want the first time you your waiter/waitress comes over. It may be a while till you see him again (hey you're in NY, get used to it lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast