Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/12/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

CNN today

Bill Gates: Cellphone will beat iPod
    Microsoft chairman tells German newspaper that Apple's nifty little gizmo can't sustain itself.
    May 12, 2005: 1:47 PM EDT

CNN's Richard Quest talks to Microsoft Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill Gates about the changing landscape of mobile phones and the role his company aims to play in the industry.

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Microsoft founder Bill Gates sees mobile phones overtaking MP3s as the top choice of portable music players, and views the raging popularity of Apple's iPod player as unsustainable, he told a German newspaper.

"As good as Apple may be, I don't believe the success of the iPod is sustainable in the long run," he said in an interview published in Thursday's Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.

"You can make parallels with computers: Apple was very strong in this field before, with its Macintosh and its graphics user interface -- like the iPod today -- and then lost its position," Gates said.
    <snip>
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 05/12/2005 at 03:55 PM.
    OK, I have no idea where you got that title from, but whatever.

I totally agree with Gates. If the iPod is still playing music, and only playing music, in 2-3 years, it'll be in a world of trouble. People want convergent devices. I don't want to carry around an iPod, a cell phone, a camera, a PDA, a game machine, a web browser, and a DVD player. I want it all in one device. It doesn't have to be the best at any of those, but I want it to be very good. iPod's are great devices, but they'll be nothing but niche if all they continue to do is play music. They'll be as marginalized as Apple's computers are.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I totally agree with Gates. If the iPod is still playing music, and only playing music, in 2-3 years, it'll be in a world of trouble. People want convergent devices. ....
    I am already one of "those people".

I travel quite heavily for business, so each and every electronic device I carry entails cases, holsters, adapters, chargers, etc. The sum of the parts feels as if it weights twice the whole! Its especially a PITA when you have a copy of your entire iTunes library on your laptop or portable IDE/USB drive.

Believe it or not, I quickly started leaving my 40GB at home in favor of a Mini 4GB. Now, was thinking ditch the Mini in favor of the Shuffle--when the light came on and I realized "wait a minute...why not just install all those MP3's to my 1GB SD card on my Treo"?

Gates is right. Convergence is not only the future for the masses, but its "now" for bleeding edge adopters like Treo 650 users!

Only problem for me right now is having to scrub DRM encoding off iTunes music purchases by burning them to CD and reimporting them. Not a big hassle, but one I would gladly be rid of...
    Quote Originally Posted by guncollector
    Gates is right. Convergence is not only the future for the masses, but its "now" for bleeding edge adopters like Treo 650 users!
    True. Let me reword my earlier statement from "2-3 years" to "12-18 months". 2-3 years will see a few generations of these devices already pass.
    I'm back!
    PalmOne is toast...

They've had plenty of time to evolve as an OS and have ignored their end user, they've now blatantly crapped all over their thousands of 3rd party software developers with this anemic, bug laden memory system...

They've all but destroyed Handspring's well deserved, fantasticly creative image in one fell swoop with this ludicrous backward step in software/firmware from the 600 to the 650....

... the writing is on the wall and they deserve what they'll get.

- A former Palm fanboy
    Quote Originally Posted by docmaster
    PalmOne is toast...They've had plenty of time to evolve as an OS...
    PalmOne has nothing to do with the OS, that's PalmSource. PalmSource makes the OS, PalmOne makes the hardware. PalmSource's inability to roll out Cobalt in a reasonable amount of time has no impact on PalmOne, except to push them to Magneto or Linux. They are two separate companies.

And the topic was about the iPod's fall from grace, not PalmOne's.
    I'm back!
    Wow... THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER seen a palm site speak so highly of Bill Gates and his openion. This is really strange.

I don't know if I fully agree with Mr. Gates... there will always be certain members of the population who will not want 1 device.... and as long as those devices are retailing at $500 + without a plan, a Free phone and $100/$200 ipod will go a long way.

With that being said, my Treo 650 is on order and will be here tomorrow. It is too much of a pain in the **** to sync phone, computer, and pda... then again, you did not have to be bill gates to realize that... or palm one... thank God for Handspring.
    He didn't say that the iPod is dead, or that it has no place in this world, he said

"As good as Apple may be, I don't believe the success of the iPod is sustainable in the long run"

I totally agree with that, but I think there will always be a market for people who don't want converged devices, as small as that market might be. But I would bet that the market wants better converged devices, which is why people on this board are always complaining about the Treo's lack of:

--WiFi
    --More built-in storage
    --A better camera
    --Better built-in multimedia
    etc

Converged devices will win, and specific devices like PDAs, cell phones, and mp3 players, no matter how good they are, will be marginalized.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by docmaster
    PalmOne is toast...

- A former Palm fanboy
    GIVE IT A REST! Jesus christ.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theog
    Wow... THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER seen a palm site speak so highly of Bill Gates and his openion. This is really strange.
    This is not a "Palm" site this is a Treo site. If Palmone releases a Treo running windows mobile, this site will not die. Here at Treocentral we love the Treo not just the OS.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    As a Mac zealot, and a reasonably satisfied new Treo user, I'm in the odd position of agreeing with Bill on everything he said, with the notable exception that I don't think it'll be Windows Mobile that those devices will be running (or, at least, I hope it's not.) As a music player, the iPod product line is mediocre, offering very little (aside from more storage and ITMS integration) that other portable players (including my Treo with Pocket Tunes) can give me, without having to carry 2 devices. With the LifeDrive a sign of things to come (hard disks coming to portables) I can't see any reason the next generation of phone/PDA devices can't eat heavily into the iPod's market share. Of course, if that happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple partner with "some phone/PDA manufacturer" to design such a device with Apple's polish, marketing, and maybe even the pretty little scroll wheel everyone gushes about. iPhone, anyone?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    This is not a "Palm" site this is a Treo site. If Palmone releases a Treo running windows mobile, this site will not die. Here at Treocentral we love the Treo not just the OS.
    Speak for yourself! If the next Treos run Windows Mobile, I'm out like the trash on Thursday. I'm certainly not in love with Palm OS, but I have no allegience to the Treo product line that would enable me to stomach the idea of using Windows Mobile.
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    GIVE IT A REST! Jesus christ.
    Bravo!! I wonder why docmaster is even still here with the way he rags on Palm. I figured he would have been on a PPC forum by of now.

Doc, do me a favor and tell me where PPC or Linux as a matter of fact is better than the Treo,.........if you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu
    As a music player, the iPod product line is mediocre...
    Really? I thought iPods were supposed to be the best. Especially if you didn't mind iTunes and proprietary formats. I don't have one, iTunes was enough to turn me off, but I thought they were the best thing out there.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu
    Speak for yourself! If the next Treos run Windows Mobile, I'm out like the trash on Thursday. I'm certainly not in love with Palm OS, but I have no allegience to the Treo product line that would enable me to stomach the idea of using Windows Mobile.
    Have you seen Magneto yet? Puts Garnet to shame.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Doc, do me a favor and tell me where PPC or Linux as a matter of fact is better than the Treo,.........if you can.
    Not to help him out, but PPC does multimedia FAR better than the Treo does. And it's built-in, no third party software required, which is part of the bonus. It also synchronizes with Outlook far better, again, without third party software required, than the Treo does.

I'd say those are two pretty big points.
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    as a music player iPod line is mediocre????

How do you explain the iPods' roughly 70% market share?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1Turbo

Marketing, my friend... Marketing. And, ITMS integration, which I noted as an exception to the mediocrity.
    The sound quality from an iPod is by far superior to any mp3 player.
    Quote Originally Posted by F1Turbo

Part of it is because they were the first, great mp3 player. First to market with a great product means a lot.
    I'm back!
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast