Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 124
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    3. While I love pokettunes, it does not handle AAC files - what I ripped most of my cd collection into).
    The next version is supposed to support AAC.
  2. #42  
    The iPod appeals to many of people for many reason, and will obviously fade out of certain peoples lives in favor of converged devices. However, the staying power of the iPod is not dictated on ever-emerging convergence devices. The iPod, like trucks, have an appeal that overrides its sometimes single-purposed design. Music has perennially been a part of our lives, and anything that execls in that area will have a staying power, as long as it evolves with music (bluetooth headphones, stream internet audio, etc). Keeping with the truck example, you can take your pick of converged trucks/suv's/car-like wagons nowadays! But how popular is the original pick up truck? It has been refined and evolved to include a better ride and handling characteristics, better efficiency, and more amenities, but it is still a basic pick up. This is why we still have TV's in our living rooms, a computer or laptop on our desk, a stereo in the house AND car, a camera on our shoulder , and an iPod on our hip.
  3. #43  
    Nokia have release a phone, N91, which looks like an iPod but has a slide-out phone keyboard for dialing. Looks sweeeeet

    -S
    (attached from New Scientist - also an article from Nokia on Viruses)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
  4. #44  
    Docmaster was banned for "using multiple accounts"

    Was he really Tundy?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  5. #45  
    Sorry to go off-topic, but I felt I needed to corect some on Treo Syncing vs. PPC Syncing. The 650 is miles better at syncing with Outlook than a ppc is. Here is why I say that.

    Sync contact photos:
    Palm: Yes
    PPC: No

    Complete controll over phone num er order of appearance:
    Palm: Yes
    PPC: No

    Control over task alarm times on the PDA with direct syncing of alarm times (in Outlook 2003 you can set the day and time of the task alert)
    Palm: Yes
    PPC: No, every alert comes through at 8 AM

    Syncing of categories in memos/notes:
    Palm: Yes
    PPC: No (You can categorize on the PPC by way of making folders but that translates to notes in Outlook with the format: folder name /Note Name.

    Syncing of excel graphs and power point presentations:
    Palm: Yes with included Documents to Go
    PPC: No, supposedly ppt will be added with Magneto.

    These are just a few observations. I was astounded at how better syncing was between my 650 and Outlook 2003 compare to the PPC6600 I had.
    bit_bucket
  6. #46  
    I'm very happy with my two small devices, but I do agree that cords tend to twist, making for a mess. Having my iPod takes pressure off my Treo. I'm not craving the next, bigger, memory card. And we all know what happens when we have too many applications running at the same time.
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
  7. #47  
    I think Gates is right, but it doesn't take a genius to state the obvious.

    Now since we are on convergence, let's see what functions are in the device:

    -Phone
    -MP3
    -Video
    -Gaming
    -GPS
    -Camera / Video recorder
    -Palm devices
    -PPC devices
    -Smartphone OS

    Now look at the leaders in that space:

    - Phone: Nokia, SonyEricsson, Motorola
    - MP3: Apple, Creative, ?
    - Video: ?
    - Gaming: Sony
    - GPS: Garmin, ?
    - Camera / Video recorder: Sony, Canon
    - Palm devices: PalmOne
    -PPC devices: HP/Compaq, Dell, ?
    - Smartphone OS: Palm, MS, Symbian

    So what does this mean?

    Apple is hosed. Their advantage is the the iTunes interface/software, not in the devices themselves. But are they phone experts? No. (Some may says they don't need to be, but in the world where carriers rule, they cannot bowl them over (as they did with the iTunes store, which Yahoo is starting to encroach into.). Maybe they make GSM phones...I dunno...they are not known for partnering. I think Moto will get screwed.

    Actually, Sony has the best shot at this, although their execution is sometimes less than stellar.

    I agree that battery capacity is an issue, but that will grow as it always has.

    Could the Treo make it?

    Cobalt with an iTunes interface, coupled with dual or triple SD cards slots (one for music, one for GPS maps), gets you pretty close, minus the gaming (of course I am assuming BT 2.0 and Wifi)

    You could make this device, and charge $1000, and people would buy it.
  8. #48  
    I am in a feisty mood this week, so sorry for my condescending remarks that follow

    You people are idiots!

    None of you get it. The iPod was so named for a reason. The iPod is a computer that changes along with industry trends and technology. Thats why it was so vaguely with an all-encompassing description. You can put anything you want into a pod. Started with music, then they added audio books, then audio recordings along with the addition of a mic, then an address book, then I think about 3 weeks later they added calendar functionality with a software updater, then photos, then games (albeit, marginal quality)...

    The addition of what it can hold and what it can do WILL continue to change over time, as will the various form factors. The iPod (just like Kleenex, Jacuzzis and Xerox machines) has staying power.

    We see changes to and additions to things that affect this new iPod platform on a weekly basis. Over the course of the last week, we have seen Apple add videos to the iTMS that people can buy just like the songs. The week before that we saw the addition of Apple build syncing services to iTunes itself for devices like phones (for stuff like songs, calendars, address, to-do lists). Microsoft is scared. iTunes now has another Trojan horse built into it (aside from QuickTime). Yes, Apple is moving in on Microsoft's territory with their syncing services built into iTunes 4.8 and greater.

    Sony's PS3 with integration of Apple technologies like the iTunes AND the ever popular iPod. Ohhoohhhohhohohohoo. This is still in the making but... Please, Bill is clueless. He is not aware of his surroundings.
  9. #49  
    the reason MS does not make phones is that it is a SOFTWARE company. Apple, due to it's proprietary nature, is forced to be a HARDWARE company.

    An "ipod phone" is not so farfetched.

    But Apple will try instead to be the media hub of the home. Will they succeed? I doubt it, for many reasons, but you never know.
  10. #50  
    Archie,

    Your comment "you people are all idiots" was spoken like a true Apple bigot.

    Too bad you are wrong.

    iPod is nothing like Kleenex, Jaccuzi, or Xerox. It has done nothing to "revolutionize" anything. MP3 players have been around a long time. True, the music store is different, but more of an extension of an existing market. Yahoo is getting ready to eat their lunch because Apple will always be Apple - closed and proprietary.

    I like the iTunes Library Manager, and my iPod, but I see it for what it is - a cool mp3 player.

    Apple will survive because elitist like yourself will always drink the kool-aid, and people like me will buy cool stuff (apple or others).
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I am in a feisty mood this week, so sorry for my condescending remarks that follow

    You people are idiots!

    None of you get it. The iPod was so named for a reason. The iPod is a computer that changes along with industry trends and technology. Thats why it was so vaguely with an all-encompassing description. You can put anything you want into a pod. Started with music, then they added audio books, then audio recordings along with the addition of a mic, then an address book, then I think about 3 weeks later they added calendar functionality with a software updater, then photos, then games (albeit, marginal quality)...

    The addition of what it can hold and what it can do WILL continue to change over time, as will the various form factors. The iPod (just like Kleenex, Jacuzzis and Xerox machines) has staying power.

    We see changes to and additions to things that affect this new iPod platform on a weekly basis. Over the course of the last week, we have seen Apple add videos to the iTMS that people can buy just like the songs. The week before that we saw the addition of Apple build syncing services to iTunes itself for devices like phones (for stuff like songs, calendars, address, to-do lists). Microsoft is scared. iTunes now has another Trojan horse built into it (aside from QuickTime). Yes, Apple is moving in on Microsoft's territory with their syncing services built into iTunes 4.8 and greater.

    Sony's PS3 with integration of Apple technologies like the iTunes AND the ever popular iPod. Ohhoohhhohhohohohoo. This is still in the making but... Please, Bill is clueless. He is not aware of his surroundings.
    First of all, I'm an iPod fanboy, and I'm saying this speech is crap...................

    An iPod is for music, and maybe mass storage, but thats it. Everything else is pure fluff. You will never see anybody buy an iPod for anything other than for music. I'm not rooting for or against anybody here, but lets be realistic here. You only can have one reason to buy an iPod, or any other DAP, but you can have many reasons to buy a smart phone or a Treo.
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    REALLY? (Capitalized-letter pun intended!)
    Case-study one: XBox
    And how was he NOT embarrassed in demoing this new Xbox on Apple's G5s. What the hell. And here's a quote from a M$ engineer, "We purchased a number of Apple G5's because very specific hardware components of the G5 allowed developers to emulate some of the technology behind the future Xbox." Jeezaz, does he still have a job. Bill is gonna kill him.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    LOL
    And what makes you think that an ever-evolving iPod is a stand-alone propriety? There are plenty of products imitating it already, and the competition has just begun...
    I really have no idea what you are saying here. Can you use simpler words for me. Seriously, I cannot comprehend this... propriety... iPod...
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff
    First of all, I'm an iPod fanboy, and I'm saying this speech is crap...................
    It wasn't a speech, it was a quick rant and I regret posting it before correcting sentance structure and conveying my thoughts clearly. But it you can get the jest of it, that is what I stand behind.


    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff
    An iPod is for music, and maybe mass storage, but thats it. Everything else is pure fluff. You will never see anybody buy an iPod for anything other than for music.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
    http://www.ritzcamera.com/
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Archie,

    Your comment "you people are all idiots" was spoken like a true Apple bigot.

    Too bad you are wrong.

    iPod is nothing like Kleenex, Jaccuzi, or Xerox.
    The iPod is a household name. It has staying power and is so popular that it HAS seeped into everyones lives to become the next Jello, Jacuzzi and Jeep. Think about it. Radio stations are fading away or changing their formats to operate like that of the iPod. #ell, they even advertise this fact.


    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    It has done nothing to "revolutionize" anything. MP3 players have been around a long time.
    You are correct in that music players were around for a long time, but they were not selling. Only after Apple made iTunes and THEN the iPod did DMP take off. Even though I didn't say this before, as so indicated by your quotes, I do contend they did "revolutionize" MP3 players. They made them useable and hence was able to move product.


    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    True, the music store is different, but more of an extension of an existing market. Yahoo is getting ready to eat their lunch because Apple will always be Apple - closed and proprietary.
    I do not believe this to be so. The only market share Yahoo will be eating is Reals and Napsters, the subscription based music services, which, as evidenced over the course of the last 10-12 months, are not a good model to have. This will only serve to benefit Apple in the end. Have you noticed how Napster and Real have bled last quarter? This will kill them off and trade 2 competitors for 1. Besides if this is the way to do it. How come new entrents in this business model keep having to lower their price?

    Time will tell.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    You people are idiots!

    This is still in the making but... Please, Bill is clueless. He is not aware of his surroundings.
    rrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Bill is clueless and you're the smart one. So, how much more than Bill do you make a week??

    How many companies has successfully run for around 20 years?

    How many publications has you produced on industry direction????
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
  17. case's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    #57  
    rrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Bill is clueless and you're the smart one. So, how much more than Bill do you make a week??

    How many companies has successfully run for around 20 years?

    How many publications has you produced on industry direction????
    Success doesn't necessarily make you right.
    Stalin was very successful and not a very nice man.
    (no I'm not comparing BG to Stalin.)
    Seriously, discounting someone's opinion based on income or public exposure is silly.
    To everyone mentioning iPod's success being based on Marketing Hype. What do you think made Windows so successful? Quality? Stability? Security? Innovation?

    Give me a break, M$ is a marketing company before it's a software company.

    Though, I think Jobs may have overestimated iPods continued hipness. They sure are pretty though.
    --case
    D-Times, a journal of no consequence
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by case
    Success doesn't necessarily make you right.
    Stalin was very successful and not a very nice man.
    (no I'm not comparing BG to Stalin.)
    Seriously, discounting someone's opinion based on income or public exposure is silly.
    To everyone mentioning iPod's success being based on Marketing Hype. What do you think made Windows so successful? Quality? Stability? Security? Innovation?

    Give me a break, M$ is a marketing company before it's a software company.

    Though, I think Jobs may have overestimated iPods continued hipness. They sure are pretty though.
    Stay on context for a moment - Archie is hinting that Bill is unaware of the demands of the consumable IT market.

    I'm saying the evidence states otherwise - no more, no less. I've never said - nor have ever believed - that "might makes right."

    (no I'm not comparing BG to Stalin.)
    nor me to a stalinist?? I don't understand why you even chose that analogy - get some perspective.

    -S
    Last edited by Swingstylez; 05/15/2005 at 04:13 AM. Reason: change in tone
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
  19. #59  
    Chick-Dance: XBox is outside of their main line of business. Yes they make hardware, but 95% of their revenue is from software. So they are a SOFTWARE company.

    Apple derives 90% of revenue for hardware, so they are a HARDWARE company.

    Clear enough for you?

    (although both Apple and MS would contend they are entertainment companies)

    Archie, I know lots of people, esp over 50, who have no clue what an iPod is. It is no more a household word than any other trendy device. (Gameboy, Tivo, etc).

    You keep smoking that crack pipe and dreaming of Apple taking over the world and destroying MS and everyone else.

    (and I like Apple!)
  20. #60  
    ChickDance,

    So your argument is that Windows Media Player competes against iTunes?

    That is interesting....I don't quite buy it, but it's an opinion.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions