Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    tonycpsu,

Have you ever used an iPod or read a review or comparison test? There's a lot more substance to an iPod than marketing.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Of course I've used iPods, I'm not talking out my rearend here. There is substance to the iPod, yes. I never said otherwise. But that substance doesn't justify the hype, and it's the hype that makes it the #1 selling device despite its mediocrity.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599
    The sound quality from an iPod is by far superior to any mp3 player.
    Untrue statement, even if you restrict it to portables. The Rio Karma is at least equal to the iPod sound quality wise, assuming the files being played are the same, both device's sound parameters are either stock or equally tuned, and you use the same quality of headphones. Yes, these both beat the Treo or any other cell phone that plays MP3s, but if music playing were emphasized more on these devices, that gap would narrow too. High quality sound output is not so elusive that only Apple can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu
    ....I can't see any reason the next generation of phone/PDA devices can't eat heavily into the iPod's market share. Of course, if that happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple partner with "some phone/PDA manufacturer" to design such a device with Apple's polish, marketing, and maybe even the pretty little scroll wheel everyone gushes about. iPhone, anyone?...
    Already in beta testing. Apple & Motorola have teamed up to create the first iPod/GSM Cellular phone. I'll try and find some pics, but the industry news is all over the Net...

Possible spy screenshots of the Motorola iPod/Mobile phone:
    http://home.comcast.net/~guncollecto.../moto_ipod.jpg

Oh, another interesting development. Seems a next-gen revision of the venerable iTunes Music software will be "mobile in flavor". Called aptly iTunes Mobile, its rumored to be a Java app that will run on any Java-enabled PDA/Phone/Smartphone/Tablet. That sure would kill Motorola's hybrid iPod/GSM deader than dead...
    Last edited by guncollector; 05/12/2005 at 04:19 PM.
  5. rlb
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Compared to other mp3 players, there isn't much substance to an kPod. It's basically all marketing. The Rio Karma is superior to the iPod, but Rio isn't anywhere near Apple as a marketing company. After all, when you make computers that are basically cult products with a heavy price premium, the only way to sell them is by superior marketing. The Karma features a better signal to noise ratio, truly gapless playback, and acceptance of many codecs. The iPod doesn't. It sure sells well, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu
    Of course, if that happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple partner with "some phone/PDA manufacturer" to design such a device with Apple's polish, marketing, and maybe even the pretty little scroll wheel everyone gushes about. iPhone, anyone?

Can you say Motorola???.... even if the iPod run is not sustainable Apple will have BILLIONS and BILLIONS in the bank. Enough to buy Palm I bet.

d
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Not to help him out, but PPC does multimedia FAR better than the Treo does. And it's built-in, no third party software required, which is part of the bonus. It also synchronizes with Outlook far better, again, without third party software required, than the Treo does.

I'd say those are two pretty big points.
    I can understand the multimedia part, but, how does it sync better with outlook? Does it include meetings? Cause that is all I could think that hasn't synced over with Outlook.

P.S. My Treo will play most video files if I sync them through the "Media" application on the Palm Desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I can understand the multimedia part, but, how does it sync better with outlook? Does it include meetings? Cause that is all I could think that hasn't synced over with Outlook.

P.S. My Treo will play most video files if I sync them through the "Media" application on the Palm Desktop.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK ($I$ $used$ $a$ $Viewsonic$ $V37$ $before$ $my$ $T600$, $but$ $that$ $was$ $a$ $while$ $ago$), $Pocket$ $Outlook$ $syncs$ $everything$. $If$ $that$'$s$ $not$ $true$ $I$'$m$ $sure$ $I$'$ll$ $get$ $flamed$, $but$ $I$ $think$ $I$ $remember$ $it$ $syncing$ $everything$ ($mail$, $meetings$, $notes$, $tasks$, $folders$), $while$ $the$ $Treo$ $out$ $of$ $the$ $box$ $does$ $not$.

Which was another point I forgot to bring up, PPCs, and now Magneto-powered PPCs specifically, also handle Office attachments better out of the box than the Treo does.

What media extensions will the Treo handle natively? I didn't think it could handle wmv or rm movies through the Pics & Video app.
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    The average consumer (85-90% of the market) is far too stupid for convergent devices and is far, far more driven by a consumer electronic device's sexiness than its pure function.

Cell phones, to most consumers, should be tiny and cool. Much tinier than Treos. Try making a Treo with 4 GB of space and a "wheel thingy" that apple uses in the space of a Moto V180 with a camera, retractable headphones and ease of use comparable to TIVO. That's what you'd need to beat an iPod and Moto Razr thingy phone.

That's more than 2-3 years away and who says it won't be apple that finally pulls it off?

My two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by docmaster
    PalmOne is toast...

They've had plenty of time to evolve as an OS and have ignored their end user, they've now blatantly crapped all over their thousands of 3rd party software developers with this anemic, bug laden memory system...

They've all but destroyed Handspring's well deserved, fantasticly creative image in one fell swoop with this ludicrous backward step in software/firmware from the 600 to the 650....

... the writing is on the wall and they deserve what they'll get.

- A former Palm fanboy
    Looking at your sig, is this Tundy by any chance? If you dislike Palm so much, just don't buy any more! Palm has worked for me and many others!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Almsot everyone I know in NYC, carries both an Ipod and a cell phone. I would pobably only carry my Treo 650 (with 2gb ultra ii card) if
    1. I would stop losing my treo stereo adapter
    2. The interface was as easy to use as Itunes. I have been using shuffler but that takes forever to write to the card. I currently have about 100gigs in my collection and have itunes set to sync my 30gb ipod up to abotu 25 gigs worth of songs I have not heard in the last 90 days (smart playlist).
    3. While I love pokettunes, it does not handle AAC files - what I ripped most of my cd collection into).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Looking at your sig, is this Tundy by any chance?
    You would think...since he joined about the same time tundy departed us...

Anyway...Bill Gates predicting the iPods doom...no bias there...naw, none at all.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Batteries need to come a long way before a converged device takes over for an iPod. I listen to my Carbon and don't care if they battery dies. If my phone won't work after my mp3's battery dies, well, that's another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    He didn't say that the iPod is dead, or that it has no place in this world, he said

"As good as Apple may be, I don't believe the success of the iPod is sustainable in the long run"

I totally agree with that, but I think there will always be a market for people who don't want converged devices, as small as that market might be. But I would bet that the market wants better converged devices, which is why people on this board are always complaining about the Treo's lack of:

--WiFi
    --More built-in storage
    --A better camera
    --Better built-in multimedia
    etc

Converged devices will win, and specific devices like PDAs, cell phones, and mp3 players, no matter how good they are, will be marginalized.
    One thing that always sticks in my craw about people demanding cameras on phones : NO phone camera is as good as a Canon, Olympus or even a CyberShot! NO camera phone picture I ever saw matches a REAL camera! Maybe in the FAR future. But for now, ALL camera phone pics I see are so amateur-looking it's a joke! The only thing camera phones are good for are emergencies!

However, the rest of what you mentioned, yes the Treo could definitely use! Especially Wifi, inexcusable not to have it for that price!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    3. While I love pokettunes, it does not handle AAC files - what I ripped most of my cd collection into).
    Man that's a bummer. And to think I was whining because I had to burn & reimport the minority of my music collection that was bought from ITMS in order to get them play on my Treo.
    I'm a fan of the IPOD. I have a Mini and will likely upgrade to the larger storage photo model for father's day. My opinion is this; The elegance of the IPOD and ITMS solution is really hard to beat. Its also very well marketed. Apple is on a roll. I've never considered switching from windows to a Mac at home, until this year. If they get more Media center options and TV recording, like i am doing on windows now I may just consider it. (can't believe I am saying this)

I love my Treo as a phone and PDA, but to me carrying an Ipod also while I travel about is really no big deal. Sometimes I toss one in each pocket or both in the laptop bag. Putting 1GB or 2GB of music on a SD card and figuring out how to do that with purchased music vs ripped music etc, seems like too much work for the reward. Too much covergance may not work, for the life of me I can not see how anyone can enjoy watching TV on a phone or a movie on an Archos or similiar personal video device. I'm sure many disagree though.
    Quote Originally Posted by robangel
    ....Too much covergance may not work, for the life of me I can not see how anyone can enjoy watching TV on a phone or a movie on an Archos or similiar personal video device. I'm sure many disagree though....
    Not to get too offtrack, but you're not a Sony PSP owner are you? In short, unbelievable video from a smallish screen and form factor!

I don't necessarily "enjoy" watching t.v. on my Treo 650, its more like an "audio book with tiny, tiny moving pictures"-experience. But, it sure doesn't bother the kids, and it'll calm them down in a hurry. Also, it often beats watching your fellow cabin mates pick their noses at the Boarding Gate.
    Guncollector;

The games lookgreat on the PSP, I imagine video looks nice its just way to small of a screen to watch anything long to me. Come to think of it i will disagree with myself on this point I do have a couple of short home vids on the treo of my wife and kids, so its fun to take a peak at those when i am out traveling and missing them.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Well, since this discussion has deviated from the original post, I will offer my opinion. I will always utilize the option of carrying 2 devices, my Treo 650 and my Ipod mini. I will not take a $600.00 Treo to the gym with me or wear my Treo while running on the beach. Me being a very active person would cause certain damage to the $600.00 phone. This is why my much less costly Ipod mini is the perfect device to use for staying fit. Besides, I wanna workout, not spend time on the phone or worrying every 5 minutes if I put a scratch on my Treos screen. And even if the 650 didn't use that stupid headphone adapter, it doesn't sound as good as my mini.

----------------------------
    Sprint Treo 650
    1.08 rocks !
    Declaring that a technological device like iPod has limited staying power is like declaring that bears **** in the woods. Duh. What stays the same and has "staying power" in the freakish and dynamic world of technology? Nada. Real risky comment there Bill.

Coincidentally, I think there will always be a market for a device with a singular focus (music player) or perhaps a focus on a genre that encompasses more then one sub topic within that genre (music, mobile gaming together for example). Age groups, interests, fads and other market-driven factors will determine what will emerge for future single-focused devices. So I don't think that market is going to dry up in favor of complete convergence. My interests have not always been about having one device consisting of a calendar, camera, mp3/music player, to-do list, phone, and everything else under the sun the Treo can provide. I evolved to desire such convergence when I started my career and/or became older and/or my interests and priorities changed. Or perhaps you crazy Treo-loving nuts simply sucked me into your black hole of obsession. I can't get out. Help me. Just my 2 cents.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast