1.    #1  
    Hi All, ...
    i am considering buying a new phone / pda combo and am very interested in the treo ....

but just from looking at these forums the treo 650 seems to have so many problems ..... while i really like the treo ... i find it difficult to justify spending almost $1200 Au on something that doesn't work as it really should, so i would rather wait until these issues are fixed properly ....

do palm bring out a new version every 12-18 months ...are there any rumours as to when the next treo will be released? ... and can i presume that these problems are in fact likely to be fixed in the next "version" ....
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I wouldn't want to promise that Palm will fix the 'features' on the Treo with a new release. That said, yes, 12 - 18 months between releases is about right. The next Treo isn't really likely to be that different, perhaps some new applications, a bit more ram, better Bluetooth. The next Treo after that should have UMTS, and high speed Bluetooth. (One hopes anyway) Go for the 650, and sell it to a friend in a year or two when a better one comes out.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    It better have WiFi option too! A bit out of date to have no WiFi option on an expensive PDA.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Wi Fi seems to be a feature specification as determined by what the carriers want. That being said, it would seem logical that the next speed increase from a CDMA stand point would be EVDO. If sprint's 3G is that fast, then Wi Fi might not be considered for a long while. One more thing to consider also, being that sprint is partnering with Intel in getting WiMax up and running, I would prefer that standard in future Treos.

-------------------------
    Sprint Treo 650
    1.08 rocks !
    So we can thank carriers for denying us what should be clearly available in this day and age. I'm getting tired of hearing about disabled features at the request of carriers.
    According to a well known "modifier", the 650 can get Wifi, I think he said he found the hidden drivers.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    T-Mobile offers WiFi hotspots in thousands of locations nationwide. It's an extra $20/month. I'm sure T-Mobile is not against WiFi for Treos. In any case, the WiFi sleds should be out by the end of this month (see enfora.com).
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by aussietanker
    Hi All, ...
    i am considering buying a new phone / pda combo and am very interested in the treo ....

but just from looking at these forums the treo 650 seems to have so many problems ..... while i really like the treo ... i find it difficult to justify spending almost $1200 Au on something that doesn't work as it really should, so i would rather wait until these issues are fixed properly ....

do palm bring out a new version every 12-18 months ...are there any rumours as to when the next treo will be released? ... and can i presume that these problems are in fact likely to be fixed in the next "version" ....

Forums like this naturally tilt toward the "negative side." I am 100% happy with what my Treo 650 does for me, warts and all. I do not agree with your "something that doesn't work as it really should" comment. I agree with z3bum -- buy one, enjoy it -- there will always be a "next" one on the drawing board.

Cheers, Perry
    The next Treo will be out this Nov. specs should start leaking sometime in July-Aug.
    I think wifi is a must have on the next treo. Not every place is covered by your carrier and it would be nice to get a phone call when you are surfing the web (at a faster speed than 80-120kbps).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

So I guess noone here has tried the SD Wifi Cards available ?
    Quote Originally Posted by fl00d_pr0z
    So I guess noone here has tried the SD Wifi Cards available ?
    Guess again.....search and you will be enlightened....
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I was referring to everyone here complaining about not being able to use wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by fl00d_pr0z
    I was referring to everyone here complaining about not being able to use wifi.
    Misunderstood, sorry.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Np
  15.    #15  
    well Perry ... i had a good think about this,

Forums like this naturally tilt toward the "negative side." I am 100% happy with what my Treo 650 does for me, warts and all. I do not agree with your "something that doesn't work as it really should" comment. I agree with z3bum -- buy one, enjoy it -- there will always be a "next" one on the drawing board.
    ... and i decided that you and z3bum are "on the money" .....

so i took the plunge and now am the proud owner of an "aussie" treo 650 ... and i absolutely love it! ... So far, no problems with callers not hearing me .. and i can here everyone that calls very clearly ...

and on the PDA side ... boy, this gizmo rocks ..... despite some of the issues and "negative" comments mentioned so frequently in these forums ....it really is a looker.... a really swish form factor ... and just the perfect combo between a pda and phone .... and i am so happy to be back with the palm os and all my fav palm apps etc ... and am really looking fwd to getting rid of my XDA O2 !

my very first treo task was to get a good quality screen saver onto it .... then order a spare set of stylii (not sure if thats how it's spelt!) .... i always seem to lose those things faster than i can replace them .... i am now waiting for my 2GB Ultra SD Card to arrive so that i can really load up on all my fav ( and much missed, palm apps and games) .... and am still trying to decide on a case

Just two observations ......

1. I'm not sure if this is just because i don't know how to use the treo properly yet ... but for a few days it seemed that the phone part (only) was switching itself off .... when someone called me the phone would not ring and callers were directed to my voicemail to leave a message ... everytime i went to make a call i noticed that there was a screen message above the dial pad on the top LHS saying something like " Phone is Off" ... as much as i tried to explore the menus ... and the manual ... i couldn't seem to find a solution ... then all of a sudden it seemed to "correct itself" and now when i switch the phone on i see my providers details up on the LHS ....that was about 2 weeks ago and it all seems ok since then ... any clues on this .....

2. On checking my phone i was a little disappointed to see that the firmware version is 01.14 ... and that the software version is treo650-1.05-ROW .... hardware = A ... am i correct in assuming that this aussie version is a little outdated and is one of the earlier versions that was having the problems ... can i "update" the firmware and software to a more current version?

3. Is the offer of the extra sd card still valid with this version ... i checked on the palmone site and couldn't find the details ... one forum seemed to indicate that it was still available ... others that its long finished?

anyway .... overall i am very happy, and glad that i didn't wait for the "next one " .... and i will be taking z3bum's advice and will sell this one on ebay whenever that day arrives ... until then i'm just gonna enjoy it "warts and all"

thanks for the help guys ...

now about that case ....
    Welcome aboard aussietanker! Glad to see you are pleased with your purchase. I can't help on the phone thing or the firmware version -- you will have to talk with your carrier about that.

I use the PalmOne horizontal side belt clip case(holster), as I have carried my PDAs and now Treo on my hip since day one. I chose this one -- as I did not want a case around my Treo when I was using it -- I wanted the feel of the "naked" Treo.

http://web.palmone.com/products/Prod...0004&cat=20015

I have altered this case in two ways. I made a SD card pocket on the end under where the antenna rests, out of leather and black electrical tape. Just the right width. On the other end - I cut the side down to just under the headset hole. In this way -- I can put the Treo back into the holster without unplugging and replugging the headset that I use for listening to music.

Case preference is very user specific: search Treo Central, PalmOne and may I suggest executivepda.com without feeling too disloyal? These three sites should give you an overview of the variety of options available. (Happy hunting.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/25/2005 at 10:04 AM.
    aussietanker can I offer my extensive case skills If you tell me what you like I can give you several options,,,

Also if you have a second here is a link to my case thread, there is a lot of information there, a little noise, a few jokes, but mostly info ---> click me
    You rock, James.

On the down side, you have now given me a whole new site to explore.

I like the title, I always liked ET.
    Quote Originally Posted by aussietanker
    Just two observations ......

1. I'm not sure if this is just because i don't know how to use the treo properly yet ... but for a few days it seemed that the phone part (only) was switching itself off .... when someone called me the phone would not ring and callers were directed to my voicemail to leave a message ... everytime i went to make a call i noticed that there was a screen message above the dial pad on the top LHS saying something like " Phone is Off" ... as much as i tried to explore the menus ... and the manual ... i couldn't seem to find a solution ... then all of a sudden it seemed to "correct itself" and now when i switch the phone on i see my providers details up on the LHS ....that was about 2 weeks ago and it all seems ok since then ... any clues on this .....

2. On checking my phone i was a little disappointed to see that the firmware version is 01.14 ... and that the software version is treo650-1.05-ROW .... hardware = A ... am i correct in assuming that this aussie version is a little outdated and is one of the earlier versions that was having the problems ... can i "update" the firmware and software to a more current version?

3. Is the offer of the extra sd card still valid with this version ... i checked on the palmone site and couldn't find the details ... one forum seemed to indicate that it was still available ... others that its long finished?
    1. Your Treo may be resetting without you realizing it. Search for discussion on this (and on how to ensure that the Phone part gets turned on after resets). Alternatively, dial #*377 in the phone and see what it tells you about the last reset. I used to use a free program called Radio Control, now I use ProfileCare to make sure the phone (aka Radio) is turned on all the time.

The other reason may be that the SIM is loose. People have out a piece of paper behind the sim to improve it's contact. Your's is the unlocked GSM phone, and probably does not suffer from the GemPlus sim issues that Cingular folks had some weeks back (until Cingular released an update to fix this).

2. You can update to the various leaked beta versions out there. My advice: If you need help in a) locating the betas or b) figuring out how to apply them, you should just wait till the offical update comes out. In any cae, if you are not running short on memory to where you cannot run your applications, you can wait a nother few weeks/days for the official firmware.

3. Extra SD card should be valid.

http://web.palmone.com/support/sd.jhtml

Lots of folks have to call the telephone # and request, as their Treo SN etc doesn't always get recognized by the web site.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A