Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    I am a casual user and I am not sure but from a point of using multi-media applications Palm seems to have missed the boat.

Microsoft has either passed them or is much, much better at hyping itself.

Smartphone sales are way up and stand alone PDA's are on the decline. Palm seems to have a strong tie to PDA's. Will this spell the end of Palm and will Microsoft with its positioning take over the market?
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    That is why they are coming out with the Life Drive.
    Every week someone says the same thing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    My thoughts are within' a year or so we will start seeing a coblat powered Treo with a 2-4 gig flash drive (flash drive to compensate for bumps and such). It's software setup will most likely mirror that of the life drive. I look at the life drive as a market test for palm to see the acceptance with "the people.
    The MS OS offers more features. I'm still convinced the Palm OS is significantly easier to use: fewer taps, menu selections, and screens are necessary to use the functions we use most. Many confuse ease of learning with ease of use, and think the MS is easier to use simplly because it's more familiar. But once the palm is used, I think it's possible to access the most used functions much more quickly on a Palm. I do, however, wish it did real multi-tasking.

But there's no "best" choice. That's why they call 'em Personal Digital Assistants: The choice is personal, Some like one system better, some like the other. I'm just glad we have a choice.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Palm's OS needs a lot of work. Kinda like the telecoms... I think they're going to be left in the dust with only a couple of big players servicing the market with MSFT being one of them.
    NRG-

to which magazine do you refer to in your blog?...
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    It is a cosmetic dentist and surgery magazine.
    The only thing the Treo600 can't do adequately is streaming video. The Skywire Video product whic does "stream" video (you can watch CNN, for example) is more like a slideshow and lacks sound. But you can record and play audio and video+audio. True, not every protocol and piece of software is supported. But on the whole, it's quite usable.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Symbian looks like the winner here with Microsoft 2nd then Palm.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04...hones_q1_2005/
    I totally agree that PalmOS is far superior in terms of ease of use and intuitiveness. Unfortunately it (Garnet) hasn't changed much since 1996 and in my opinion at least lags behind PocketPC/Windows Mobile in the multimedia arena. (I have both treo 600 and iPaq 2110). A lot of shortcomings can be remedied by installing 3rd party software, but that has the potential of causing instability and you'll have people telling you not to install anything if you don't want resets. In contrast I've yet to see my iPaq reset itself even though I run a number of 3rd party apps. YMMV.

Additionally from a developer perspective, windows mobile provides a far richer API and toolset. The recent addition of .NET compact framework makes writing apps even easier. Writing Garnet apps brings back memories of programming in the mid-90's - C functions, resource files, disparate tools.

That said, I still love my Treo. Its terrific hardware and design let down by antiquated software. Let's hope they do something about that soon.
    the boat left the dock a while ago.

Schwartz was spot on with his post.

The LifeDrive is a DeathMarch.

Cobalt (OS 6) was released over a year ago...no devices. Mistware. Now it's been at 6.1 for 9 months and no devices. Fogware.

What kind of OS is made/sold that never is on a device? It's nutzo.

I would love to see P1 succeed, but the only way is to drop the Dungsten and DeathMarch, and focus on the Magneto Treo.
    Why does Palm have to join the monopoly to succeed? I'd rather see them go to Symbian if they're going to drop their own software. However, I hope they're able to perfect the Cobalt OS, we need more choices.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'm all for choice. I like Symbian and I was a Psion 5 user for several years (which used EPOC32, the predecessor to SymbianOS) Unfortunately Symbian is a low level platform and not a turnkey solution. Its up to the vendor to implement the UI presentation layer. Nokia developed Series 60 and 80 and Sony Ericsson implements UIQ. If PalmOne wanted to utilize Symbian they'd have to implement their own GUI. I really like the graphical treatment in Cobalt and its a pity that the OS never saw the light of day. I'm not familiar with the details but my hypothesis is it may be due to the fact that Cobalt had limited backward compatibility with existing Palm apps.

I don't love or hate Microsoft, in fact I work for one of their biggest competitors, I just think that PalmOne as a company should utilize the best tool for the job. At this moment in time, it looks like Magneto might be a promising tool. PalmOne's only obligation as a public company is to its shareholders and if they can increase unit sales by selling Treos with Windows Mobile then they should go for it.
    It's a desecration for Palm to use MS, since they've their OWN OS. If they had none, then maybe.

Lady Treo,

PalmOne has no OS. They only do hardware

Palm has the OS, no hardware.

They are two separate companies. With different shareholders.

MS on a Treo is no worse that Linux on a Dell.
    But they're tied together, even if they're really separate. When most people hear the word Palm, they think of Palm OS and the products that carry Palm OS, I bet. A Palm with MS just isn't a "Palm". They might as well change their name and quit using "Palm" in their name if they do that! There are also already plenty of other PPC makers.

Palm is done.
    Whatever, Mr. I work for the monopoly that puts a stranglehold on competition. This from a guy who thinks the SK is cool, LOL!

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BENJMNS
    Palm is done.
    x2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast